GDKP: Ban or no ban? (Should GDKP be against the TOS?)

Argument: GDKP encourages engaging in RMT. Inflation occurs rapidly due to the huge funnel of botted gold in to the player base due to high rates of gold buying. GDKP is considered a beneficial-for-all loot system and so people will tend to run their raids this way, but since it’s impossible to remove RMT completely, it will always be linked to RMT encouragement, and this spirals out of control infinitely without any strict “no exception” measures being taken.

The Counterargument: GDKP and gold buying is just a symptom of the root issue. You need to go after the bots, not the players, by putting all your resources into attacking the root cause, which is militantly banning the bots, sellers, and buyers, at a rate that will hinder RMT enough so that it is no longer a widespread issue. If you do this, GDKPs will go back to being mostly legitimate gold and people can run their raids using their favorite loot system without excessive oversight by Blizzard.

Where do you land on this (for any version of Classic)?

8 Likes

IMO GDKP is just a better system of running a raid than the others. GDKP produces raid groups who actually clear the raid, instead of a bunch of undergeared people looking to be carried.

The issues with RMT are separate and existed long before GDKP ever did. I was playing in 2007 when the streets of Orgrimmar were littered with level 1 corpses spelling out “Susan Express” on the ground. GDKP came years later.

7 Likes

This isn’t the question being asked. I acknowledged already that GDKP is a “good” loot system.

Do you mean to say that it shouldn’t be banned and you reject the former argument?

Correct. I don’t see anything wrong with GDKP raids. I think RMT is a separate issue and would still exist even if GDKP was banned.

3 Likes

Of course it would, but GDKP undeniably redistributes millions of RMT gold every single day, causing the issues mentioned in the first argument.

They aren’t linked by concept, but they are linked by synergy. They go together like PB&J (though my wife hates PB & J together, the weirdo).

Only Americans think PB and J go together.

Yes. Full stop.

Until Blizzard is willing to combat botting proactively instead of reactively, GDKPs should be against the TOS.

7 Likes

GDKP causes RMT and makes the point of guilds moot for a lot of players. It also makes it very hard to find new members because of it. The only person it benefits is the solo player, but it hurts guilds in the long run, hurts the economy and really just makes the game a boring slog with no socializing, like in retail.

17 Likes

GDKP is a great and functional idea with a horrible outcome in the end. RMT causes it to become a haven of washing gold and economic inflation. GDKP being banned would probably help reduce RMT impact on the server economies, but would be a pain for people that like the style and don’t RMT.

Then there is the requirement that blizzard actually police it, which may result in higher expense to blizzard or reduction of service elsewhere.

At the end of the day, it would likely be better to be hyper aggressive on bots.

3 Likes

Translation:

I don’t like GDKP because it’s not a participation trophy system.

Im going to make up a bunch of random unfounded fake news and stomp around trying to get my way.

Ban.

GDKP is a thinly veiled way of encouraging RMT.

6 Likes

Ban them all!

3 Likes

Blizzard didn’t even temporarily ban Sodapoppin when he was caught buying gold, and he publicized it to millions of people. Blizzard doesn’t care about gold buying/selling/botting. It’s blatantly obvious.

4 Likes

GDKP itself? No. Just ban the people buying and selling gold. Actually enforce that part of the ToS and GDKP will either collapse or the economy will at least deflate to reason able levels and GDKP will be reasonable.

3 Likes

Damn skippy they do. Just like pineapple on pizza!

You won’t win against bots and illegal RMT. The only way to reduce it is to add the token.

I think they should add GDKP as a built-in loot option. Screw those people who think that they need to have a “host fee” or a “spender only”.

1 Like

Everyone and their mother know that when you join a GDKP, you’re engaging with multiple people who have bought/sold gold. To say otherwise is asinine.

If there is no gold buying, there is no GDKPs. Nobody will be setting up a raid for lil timmy with 10 gold. Ban GDKPs.

6 Likes

There is no argument.

If you don’t like the loot system, then don’t join the raid.

there is an argument. it encourages rmt and most of the gold distributed in gdkps is rmt’d gold.

5 Likes

I don’t think you should ban an effective loot system because some people break the ToS.

Punish people who actually do things against the rules.

1 Like

I think you’re underestimating here :sweat_smile:

2 Likes