GD: Making Solo Farming in Old Legacy Raids Less… Annoying?

A lot of players will go against some changes due to “rarity”, however as mentioned by Níghtstalker, some farms required an improvement.

Something that i don’t see on your feedback around solo farming, it’s the toxic approach of using alts just like another dice roll, I got the 4 MoP mounts via drops (Sha after 7.5k attempts), a lot of players only have alts, multiple accounts to beat the odds, that’s why love rocket farm is one of the worst offenders.

Blizzard should approach mount farming from an perspective that enable this activity to players with 1 character to multiple characters, the new 9.2 didn’t required alts for collecting most of the materials to create the 24 mounts available compared to Korthia 1% drops.

Another example was the Doomwalker Worldboss during anniversary event, it had a really low drop before an hotfix that changed it to 100% droprate, I did 70+ attempts, that means like 4 years for a player using only 1 character and depending of the RNG that player maybe won’t see that drop ever, IMO changing it to 100% was too much but the previous % was insane, when that mount could be added to a vendor for timewarp currency.

There’s some players that always mention on this kind of post, "you don’t have to get everything", but it’s a game and the improvements could help with that bad luck that could last years and force players into alts for more chances.

Also, I’d like to see a better approach regarding some mechanics like BFA mind control during Nzoth fights, I know BFA doesn´t have this legacy buff yet but there’s few groups farming this raid because you need the cloak on each character, Blizzard should remove this requirement for this fight, specially before next expansion, since we’re now in a time that some players are looking for past things to do.

Thanks Maizou for this new post for collectors.

EDIT: Bear tartare was nerf during BFA and we didn’t receive something similar that buff our speed during farm runs, Blizzard nerfed some items that are just used for speed runs.

1 Like

Maizou, this one of your finest topics I have read and I do agree with everything but perhaps the RP speeches. They are hardlocked and timed so the events can play out like they should, otherwise you have another accident where the loop ends and the whole boss fight resets.

Well done. Credit due when it’s due.

2 Likes

One thing I’d like to see is changes to older content in general as far as collecting. Not just raids, though the raid changes suggested here are fine to me.

Right now, my character is currently camping for Ishak of the Four Winds in Uldum. I’ve been in one spot for four hours now. That’s ridiculous. I would like to spend some of my time doing other things too. Don’t get me wrong, the drop rate for the toys, pets and mounts isn’t a problem to me. I don’t mind having a tiny chance of getting something each time I down the rare that drops it. It’s having to spend several hours a day camping one spawn point for a single mob.

Increase the spawn rate. Once every one or two hours or something less ridiculous. I don’t mind spending some of my time every day farming old content for a tiny chance of getting some of the items I want. I still want to do achievement runs. I still want to raid old raids for transmogs. I don’t want to dedicate all of my online time on a single mob for a tiny chance I get what I’m looking for, and not being able to do any of the other old content to farm too.

EDIT: Especially as mob survivability goes down as our character power increases. In old raids? We inevitably reach the point where we one shot old bosses. World content is the same way. It will become even harder and more time consuming to farm some of these old mobs for drops as people become able to take them down in a single cast or attack, especially if they’re tagged by someone of the opposing faction and you can’t group up with or cast a quick heal on them to piggyback off of their kills.

2 Likes

Blizzard approach with some mounts like soundless and others that have 1 + hour respawn and players doesn’t have any agency on the respawn it’s really bad and worse when the patch or expansion is not longer current content.

Players should have a better engage with the game compared to this waste of time mechanic.

2 Likes

I"d like the mechanics of RNG to change so it is not a 0.1% chance every time; on my second kill let it be 1%, the on the third let it be 5%, and so on. Reading about players with over 100 kills on Invincible or the other many desirables: well, they put in their time, they should up the odds and let people get it. If it is my 20th kill and I have a 20% chance at a drop, I have paid my dues.

I think that the odds should change for old content, automatic with the drop of a new expansion.

I’d like an engineering toy or some kind of flag or marker that could be stamped down on a rare spawn spot so you could see when the arrival will happen. I have also sat for hours waiting for a single spawn for a very low chance at a toy: at this point, I am not “in game” I have my forums open with the minimap available in the back; this is not good game play at all.

2 Likes

well one way they can do it is like after x runs you get it then it resets back to 1% make it worth while.
but with the doomwalker one it should been 100% day one imagine doing it every day and missing out on it due to rng

I did 72 attempts before hotfix, so a player with only 1 character could spent 3+ years without getting that mount with the previous drop, that’s why they changed it to 100%, at least 9.2 system has less rng and you don’t require too many alts to get almost all the mounts, hopefully that approach will change in the future avoiding low drops. Besides that, Dev mentioned changes for the Love Rocket that’s the worst offender regarding RNG.

So, I’ve moved on to other rare pet/mount/toy drops to farm. Right now, I’m doing the Dark Whelpling in Badlands/Wetlands and Tiny Crimson Whelpling in Wetlands. I have dropped more than 2000 mobs so far and nothing.

The Dark Whelpling is supposedly a 1 in 1000 chance according to my Rarity addon and Wowhead stats. All things considered, should have at least gotten one by now.

The Tiny Crimson Whelpling is supposedly 1 in 10,000 according to the same sources, so I’m not really expecting to have gotten one of these yet. I know I’m going to have to spend some serious time getting one of these.

So maybe drop rates of old content should be tweaked a bit? Maybe increase our individual chances to get something depending on how many times we’ve farmed it? I don’t know the right answer, but at least let our time and work pay off at some point. It gets to be discouraging to farm and farm and farm and never see that time and effort pay off. I’m not hoping to get things just handed to me immediately or without spending some kind of farming time, but this has been 8+ hours for two days hoping for two single drops. I’m totally willing to put in time and effort for things, but this is ridiculous.