GD: Is the 20 man hard limit for Mythic raiding too restrictive?

Switching from any amount of difficulty did this, same as going from 40 to 25. Guilds die and are born, the cycle continue.

Too many classes and damage profiles are why you need a bigger roster to fit them. You can’t stop class stacking but buffs do make it less worth by a good margin, and cap it in a way rarely there will be more than 4 of the same.
Fights really don’t come down to the same thing if they were 25 or 10, oh no no no. Many more breakpoints, many more possibilities of using unique classes tool kit that you really can’t manage in a smaller raid. In a smaller raid you can’t make fights let’s say where you want 2 dks, that would be insane.

And well that is just not true, some people like it. How many people? a decent amount I’ll give. But there’s a market for the 20-25man content too.

It does need an update but getting rid of what they do best and that other games can’t really compete isn’t gonna help. They should do smaller raids 6-7 bosses, more skips, faster loot acquisition and less rng.

2 Likes

I think what we’re seeing is the “new style” of raid design. They release it barely finished, then change it on the fly continuously throughout its life.

2 Likes

You sure got a point there

Seeing how poorly they tuned the recent raid for Mythic, them limiting the raid to 20 to make tuning easier seems to be false…so yeah agreed, flex should be implemented.

Make 10m tuning the hard baseline and tune in-between from there.

the recent raid is an exception, like said before.

Well, hopefully it’s not a trend.

Yeaaaaaah sorry but its facts. I realize I talked in extremes (when I said everyone) but 10m was way more popular for a reason. It wasn’t just because it was easier to recruit. There were way more people playing when 25m was around and it was still not widely preferred. I know full well there are plenty of people who prefer 20+ I’m not disputing that.

I know I can’t speak for everyone and I also don’t know what anyone else is thinking, but we can’t have a discussion like that. We have to go off of what people actually did.

Literally every fight nowadays is a dps and mechanics check. Everyone single one. Some are just easier than others. That’s what I meant.

The usage of every classes tool kit is important, but I don’t think making fights like this is all that good for the game anymore lol. The current design is unhealthy.

I don’t see why not. Make alting not a gigantic chore and have other classes on standby like people used to do.

What Blizzard “does best” is consistently pushing people away from the game. It’s literally hurting the game. It’s time for some massive changes.

I agree with all of this. We don’t need 10+ bosses every damn tier.

I think it’s fine.

Though I’d like the difficulties to be cut down a bit. Remove normal as it exists now, bring back normal/heroic as the standard, but have Ulduar style hard mode triggers on every fight.

It sort of isn’t though.

Just think of all of the class raid buffs or utility. A quick google search and I found this for SL raid comps.

Buffs

Here are the classes that can buff the raid in different ways

Buff Class
5% Attack Power Warrior
5% Intellect Mage
5% Stamina Priest
5% Magic dmg Demon Hunter
5% Physical dmg Monk
3% dmg reduction Paladin
20% Auto-attacks Enhancement Shaman

Utilities

Utility Classes (Specs)
Battle Rez Death Knight, Druid, Warlock
Haste (Bloodlust/Timewarp/Heroism) Hunter, Mage, Shaman
Healthstones Warlock
Immunities Death Knight, Demon Hunter (Havoc), Hunter, Mage, Paladin, Rogue
Movement CD´s Druid, Shaman, Warlock
Raid Defense CD´s Death Knight, Demon Hunter (Havoc), Paladin (Holy), Priest (Discipline), Shaman (Restoration), Warrior

Dmg

Type of Dmg Class (Spec)
AoE Death Knight, Demon Hunter (Havoc)
Burst Mage (Arcane), Paladin (Retribution)
Cleave Mage (Frost), Priest (Shadow), Shaman (Elemental), Warlock (Affliction / Destruction)
Execute Hunter (Marksman), Warrior
Single target Rogue (Assassination)
Sustained Druid (Feral), Hunter (Beast Mastery)

Heal

Heal type Class (Spec)
Burst Druid, Monk, Priest (Discipline)
AoE Shaman, Druid, Priest (Holy)
Single Target Paladin

Tank

Type of Defense Class
heavy dmg Monk
physical dmg Monk
several enemies Death Knight, Monk
spell dmg Death Knight, Demon Hunter
Self-heal Death Knight, Demon Hunter
Overall Paladin

If you look at the buffs alone, that would be 7 out of your 10 man roster. You likely want at least 1 brez that is 8. So you would leave basically what 2 floating slots?

And that is to say nothing for actual mechanics - you may want a lock for a gate, or DK to death grip something into group, or more immunities, etc., etc.

So is it impossible? No. They could homogenize more classes…but you can start to see how 10 mans can get restrictive. That or some classes may find it harder to join a group since they don’t bring anything special to a raid other than “damage”.

Don’t believe me, just join a heroic raid that wants to go 2/2/6 for some reason and let us know how it goes.

Mythic should scale like all the other difficulties.

The worst thing about Mythic is that you need more than 20 people to function, but not all 20 people get to play.

Telling your friends that they can’t play is awful.

3 Likes