GD: Discussion: Skill-Based Difficulty, Time-Based Difficulty, and Value Preservation

Value is relative, WoW players are just at the mercy of the developers, they left X-45 Heartbreaker uncheck for several years and i don’t know if Qyune miss the post but next year it’ll have some changes as mentioned during the last event.

There’s players among the community that care about some cosmetics and others not, I’ve the 4 MoP WorldBoss mounts via drop and I don’t think the current argument that BMAH works as bad luck mechanic is a good one, besides those mounts just being recolors, It took me 8k attempts for the Sha and the BMAH usually doesn’t provide those mounts for weeks/months that’s why there’s a community that provide gold swaps for the BMAH items in another less populated realms.

Well players just depend on the reward design approach, for example the last anniversary introduced a mount via the world boss doom walker, we don’t know the previous drop rate but it was changed to 100%, maybe the change was drastic but before that change i did 72 attempts between 2 days which means that a player with a single character may try this drop for 5 years…I really like 9.2 approach because most of the mounts from the creation catalyst doesnt require an army of alts to do multiple attempts, almost all the mounts can be created by a single character and most of the drop rates are good.

The value is just a personal concept, I prefer the mounts that imply a challenge and are always available in the game like the new mage tower tome compared to really low drops , for example the Mechadone achivement, it had really low drops and Blizzard changed it in the middle of shadowlands, I already got it before those changes, so i got mad that for a lot of things in the game its better to wait that waste your time when its current, becuase in later patches its going to change, however we don’t know when this will happend, Devs should focus on create rewards like 9.2 that are not just a waste of time or that’ll require massive changes later, players should raise those concerns to get a proper hotfix ASAP (Like the genesis mote farming on 9.2 that still require changes), some players will cry about a Siege of Orgrimmar skip now but it’s something that a lot of other players require and even some players that already wasted time on those runs will support the idea of a skip even when they don’t longer require it, because their value isn’t about being selfish but also improving the game.

Hi, Naamah! I have been keeping up with responses where I can, and I felt like your post just happened to be missed. So, I wanted to reach out and say I appreciate the response. We might disagree, but I appreciate the time and effort you placed into you post, and I wanted to clarify a few misconceptions.

So, first off, let’s specify value. When I initially said ‘value’, there was some confusion between personal value and communal value. So, modified my terminology for addition clarity:

As far as the developers post regarding the X-45 Heartbreaker, yes I am very aware of their post, its implications, and the community’s immediate response to it. I believe I made a reference to it in an early post in that same thread. If I find it, I will link it below.

When it comes to bad luck protection, that is one of three situations outside of the scope of what the communal value is useful for assessing. In other words, that is a different topic for a different day. Here is the reference below:

As far as the Black Market Auction House, I agree - it is not bad luck protection. We touched on this briefly, but I recaptured it below:

This is exactly my concern for the game. Here is my summary of that below:

I understand for you skill-based challenges are fun. However, there needs to be some content out there for people who find the slot-machine style of RNG fun - take a look at DataforAzeroth for collectors. The whole point of the communal value system to preserve the value of items / content in the game, by taking into account all playstyles.

I hope this clarifies 1) what communal value is, 2) how it works, and 3) why it is necessary.

My concern with your communal value is that it’s not defined by anyone, we don´t have a measure provided by Devs , it´s just like personal value but you’re refering to it as overall community when we don’t have a concensus on something that it’s cosmetic, some players care a lot to reach some degenerate behavior (just like Ion mentioned about master loot and RWF), I did 10 DHs between December/Jan just to prepare 50 characters for X-45 Heartbreaker.

For example, the community could go to the extend of comparing when you get an item or achievement, it’s like that i compare that my mechadone mount has more “value” compared to the players that got it now, or that the X-45 Heartbreaker before Legion has less value because it was easier and then every expansion got harder to get because you must reach a new minimum level with all your alts.

X-45 Heartbreaker just became over the years on the worst RNG implementation, you don’t only have a mount that changed from spam with a single character the dungeon to lvl 15 as minimum to attempt it and then a constant change of the minimum level to get the epic box.

Blizzard doesn’t care about collectors, last mount achievement was added 4 years ago during BFA prepatch, if the amount of mounts for the achievement is a barrier is because a lot of the mounts acquisitions methods doesn´t appeal to players because when someone ask me, How did you get that? and I respond " well I created 20-50 characters to farm this daily"…that’s a big wall for a lot of players, while other games have a more friendly approach, protoform synthesis already shows some improvements and the Dev in charge asked for feedback via twitter not only to the council but a bigger sample of players.

Also as mentioned before, Implement rewards thinking from a perspective of 1 character to multiple, taking on consideration new players, we don’t have to remove the RNG element but it shouldn’t be like the philosophies that Blizzard had for years which created MoP Worldboss drops and X-45 Heartbreaker, that’s why the last anniversary Devs changed Doom walker mount in the middle of the event from a low drop to 100%.

There’s another MMOs on which there’s also value on cosmectics and it’s handle in a way on which the RNG element doesn’t involve changing the game into a sloot machine that have players for years trying something, as you mentioned you can check DataForAzeroth and there’s a ton of cosmetics that the only less that 5% of the players have and in my personal opinion those numbers should be higher because it’s a game that should feel rewarding, I think more players will have the prestige honor system mounts if there was more rewards compared to now that there’s gaps of 100 honor levels without a new reward on a system that the grind is really tedious.

A lot of things regarding WoW Development should be designed with a good approach since day 1, so we won’t have this concern that is better to wait for the game to diminish the “value” with fixes to the design, but Blizzard can create a community that promotes mount collection and help others, just like the communities that are doing meta achievements while the game doesn’t provide content.

From my perspective, Devs are looking to change a lot of the philosophies from the old school around cosmetics rewards into a better field, hopefully they keep adding mounts with a RNG value that respects players time.