Gathering professions achievements in 10.1.7 are terrible

With the new patch, we received some achievements for gathering professions, but every Rank 2 and 3 for every node seems to have a REALLY low drop chance for an achievement that rewards nothing other than achievement points. This seems awful with the Broken Shore’s Achievement; mining seams is a pain, and some of them have 7-8 spawns with a 7-minute spawn timer between them.

It gets even worse when looking at Wowhead’s comments section, where people have reported gathering over thousands of NODES and couldn’t get the item for rank 2 or 3. It’s insane and needs some buffs for now.

5 Likes

this is true

Maybe with the review of professions/achievs etc we can have someone look into the drop rate for the different tiers / tier items. I know I did a fair amount of farming and found the same as others that it seemed to be a higher amount required than would be expected to have increases for these professions.

1 Like

I’m glad someone posted about this.

I understand the need for achievements, I really do. I understand the game and business philosophy of having a “carrot on a stick” mentality when it comes to a monthly sub game. There is a breaking point though.

It feels horrible, logging into patch day and seeing new profession achievements for old content, especially ones that require a lot of pointless farming. And before people start posting “No one is making you do achievements” comments, I know, but any achievement focused player will tell you that it felt like a punch in the gut.

To be even more cynical, it feels like these were added in order to keep a portion of the playerbase subbed. The patch is already starting to feel like a SoO style lull. And to add to the even bigger picture, some of the achievements are purely implemented to keep people subbed, like the 50 digs for the meta in Zeralek Caverns.

A lot of these achievements are just a slap in the face. There is one reason why these new profession achievements were added and I don’t like it.

I agree. Implementing achievements for old content that we have already done is very frustrating.

On top of that, most of the new profession achievements weren’t retroactive, meaning now I have to do all the Northrend and Cataclysm dailies over again (for JC) even though I already finished those years ago. It’s just bad game design.

I don’t think it’s a bad change to have new achievements for old content, as long as it updates similar to what we currently have. With some of these not being looked at for so long, I think the fresh perspective is a good thing. Could it have been implemented so people with prior completion were included? Possibly, but I don’t think removing these ideas and themes just because people may have to redo prior content is the answer. After all, we’ve been asking for stuff like this for a long time…

I must of missed these discussions.

Usually from the standpoint of achievement implementation, people are giving insights into future achievements. Or asking for current ones to be reasonably nerfed (like the zeralek meta),

Review of profession achievements, mount achievements, alot of what seemed simplified and not inline with newer achievements that have come along. I don’t have the specific timeframe but I know people in the circles that I played with a few years ago were always asking why there weren’t more targeted achievements for professions. Some may be upset that these weren’t implemented back when it was current content but I for one am glad they’re taking an interest in refreshing professions and other areas of the game that are otherwise overlooked.

Did we really? I mean, it’s nice to have some achievements, like the one for killing Nefarian with the Onyxia Scale Cloak equipped. However, it’s not so nice to craft the Sulfuron Hammer again (and waste over 20k gold) when we have an achievement for equipping the legendary version. Crafting some shirts we had forgot their existence, but it’s not pleasant when some achievements are tied to a recipe we have to wait for a Legion World Boss (with no rotation) to appear or to a recipe that costs over 200k gold due to rarity issues. The achievement designs were not appealing to people who enjoy engaging in professions or to completionists. So, what kind of people did these achievement designs appeal to?

I guess they will probably be nerfed after i can complete some of the most tedious achievements. However, I’m making this complaint for those who might be interested in investing time in these achievements and for new players who might be scaried by a game with more than 4k achievements but see these as manageable. It will surely improve the game.

I look at what we’re receiving as a work in progress and hopefully it’ll bring light to issues that the community has had (like the mining node item drops) and update things to make the game better.

It’s poor game design to introduce achievements for past content like this.

Further, there is no recognition for any of said activity I did before it was an achievement.

Disappointed dad sigh…

1 Like

And I thought the engineering ones were bad. At least I take some solace in knowing that we all got equally screwed.

Regarding these … would be really nice if the Cata daily in ORG would ever switch to something other than Orgezonians in the Mood. There are other dailies, Blizz.

1 Like

You mean you don’t like cutting jagged jasper every day, lol?

1 Like

Well my poor Druid’s paws are all cut up now due to all the extra jaggedness.

2 Likes

The Engineer goggle patterns needed from Sunwell are a bit crappy as well.

Basically, that one achievement ‘costs’ 500k to multiple millions for the patterns unless you grind them yourself, but then its a real bad feeling not selling them. No matter which way you look at it, this 1 achievement ‘costs’ potentially millions of gold.

I know I’m a bit late to this thread, but this seems like a topic that deserves a post on the community council forums or in whatever other channels they give you community council players where there’s likely to be some decent chance of the relevant people at Blizzard seeing the feedback. I kind of doubt Blizzard ever looks at the achievement forum.

I’ve got a fair bit of feedback and hope you or any other achievement-minded folks on the community council have also got some feedback you’re sending Blizzard’s way. I do worry that when the next patch releases, they’re going to slip into ignoring this mass of achievements they stuck in.

Of course it’s good to have things be retroactive, and I’m glad the parts they provide retroactivity for are there, but in a bit of irony, this gave me a quick moment of demoralization because of how bad the Legion mining / herbing achievements are.

I played Legion extensively and had a single gatherer for each profession, all of whom were maxxed out on skill points. Other than infernal brimstone (which is awarded under slightly different circumstances than the other Rank 3’s), I didn’t have a SINGLE ore or herb at rank 3.

That was a bit of a blow. To know that I played that entire expansion and over the course of natural farming never got one of those Rank 3 drops. The commentary from other players who have spent time working on it recently is also demoralizing. Unlike most of the other achievements, this isn’t something where you can log on and make SOME progress at a somewhat consistent and reliable rate towards your next goal. You could log on, farm for hours and hours, and come away with absolutely nothing.

There are other things in the game like this (farming for rare mounts can easily net you nothing over the course of hours), but few quite as attention-requiring and afk-resistant as ore / herb gathering (if I farm low drop rate bosses, it involves a lot of afk travel time / RP that I can alt-tab for, whereas with gathering, I need to be monitoring the map and moving my guy at all times).

Usually Blizzard doesn’t re-visit drop rates, and I feel like there’s probably a small window of time for them to actually take a look at this and make any additional changes before they ignore things like Broken Isles mining / herbing for good.

But they really should revisit it now and if you or others can make some noise, I think it would be much better to get that noise in before they’re back to focusing on bigger topics with a new tier release.

The fix here should be easy for Blizzard. Up the drop rates for advancing the gathering profession ranks for Legion to match what they did in BFA. Those same gathering characters of mine had most of BFA mining / herbing Rank 3’s complete and none of Legion’s. They were played equally extensively in both expansions and had max skill points.

At the time, I remember thinking the same thing even without achievements existing. I remember playing BFA and thinking that they had “fixed” the harshness of their RNG for rank advancement in the gathering professions. With them having now added these Legion achievements, they should go back and up the Legion drop rates. BFA approach makes it easy to provide this feedback, because we can point to an example of what a reasonable fix is. It’s highly likely that BFA’s drop rates were selected specifically in reacting to feedback from Legion, so why not adjust Legion’s now that there’s an achievement for it?

Legion professions need a complete overhaul. Leveling the professions up is OVERLY difficult. I still think First Aid needs to return and no longer be a Tailoring profession. Archeology needs to be brought up to date with Shadowlands & Dragon Flight.

They also need to bring back the perks of having high levels of gathering professions just like they did in Wrath-MoP/WoD. If you’re too young to know what those were, high levels of mining increased your stamina, skinning increased your critical strike, and herbalism gave you an AOE that was a HOT as well. Easy way to make these non-abusive for the PVP kids is simply disable them. It’s not like they don’t do that as it is.

https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/status/859829265436557312 remember this gem they tweeted in 2017. i member.

1 Like

Hadn’t seen that. Annoying to know they recognized the feedback on the issue then moved on to other things and never fixed it.