Garrosh's character arc

I would like to think that Grom gets to be with his ancestors in some sort of shaman orc heaven. But other people have beat that topic to death already.

1 Like

Who knows? Regardless, I’m not putting a lot of stock in “reclaiming” the Dead. Nor am I sure I even want them if that were an option. I am of the firm belief that the dead of Shadowlands should serve as a catalyst to develop the still living, and while it appears that they will instead steal the show 
 I’m still not fond of the dead coming back to life.

MU Grom is dead. AU Grom may still yet be alive. The MU Orc roster still has some substance to it if Blizz would only use it, with characters like Thrall, Rexxar, Eitrigg, and Nazgrel on the table. The AU Mag’har in contrast could use at least one strong character to support Geya’rah’s development.

1 Like

(Commentary): That is fair, although I sincerely believe reclaiming some of the dead would be a good way to rebuild the factions and player sense of pride in them. I haven’t seen a lot of happy Horde players for a while now, but talking about Garrosh and Kael’thas and even Draka to an extent has put some spirit back into the Horde players I’ve encountered. I’d say it’d be worth it to bring some characters back if it helps heal faction pride, especially if we can get, say, Garrosh as a good leader.

1 Like

Personally, part of the reason I don’t want to reclaim the dead characters is because that would just be an easy out for Blizz. Rather than taking the time to actually make up for the way they used the Horde, damaged its Faction identity, and ravaged its Racial Fantasies by building up replacements from our still good 
 but very underdeveloped roster 
 they’ll just take the cheap and fast way out by bringing back big names from the past. They don’t need the effort.

I realize this is petty, but I’ve come to realize the reason that working with Alliance characters so extensively bothers me is not because I dislike working with them. In fact, normally, I’d enjoy what should be the novelty of it. Instead, I deeply dislike it because with how Blizz writes this game, the Horde PC working with the Alliance/Neutral-Alliance characters has become synonymous with the DEEP neglect they’ve shown my faction and its characters for over a decade.

Bringing back the dead would be nothing more than a flashy, lazy gimmick and placebo.

2 Likes

(Commentary): I suppose in my hopelessly optimistic mind, bringing back the dead wouldn’t be just to fix faction pride, but because there would be new stories to tell with these characters. Imagine a Garrosh who leaves Revendreth as a more whole and healthy person, who returns to the Horde and is able to reign in the Mag’har’s more violent tendencies and unite the Orcs, but refuses a position of leadership higher than a commander or something as an act of penance for his failures as Warchief. What might this Garrosh accomplish beyond that?

1 Like

What would bringing Garrosh accomplish beyond cutting open barely healed wounds on the opposing faction and set the ground work for the Horde to be villain batted again?

How about Keal’thas? What would his coming back to life accomplish beyond bringing a “Royal Bloodline” barely associated with the Horde faction back in to undermine a BE that has actually Bled “Red” so consistently over the years. How about MU Grommosh? Doomhammer? I see nothing of value coming from these legacies coming back, and Blizz absolutely using their reincarnations as an excuse to not develop the still living roster. Vol’jin being the sole exception, as his death is literally being portrayed as part of his path.

We have a large roster of characters that could have potential if Blizz just was willing to give them some attention and time. The issue is, they’re absurdly underused, underdeveloped, and frankly underpowered atm. And with how they’ve written the Horde its already a long-shot expecting them to get it; and it will never happen if they take a short-cut and just bring back the old legends.

2 Likes

Lei Shen feels more Maldraxxus for me, and demons who experience true cease to exists. Their souls are snuffed out and, as far we know, go nowhere.

There’s no way they’re going to bring these legends from the past to be a part of red alliance, imagine telling Kael or Orgrim that we’re now buddy buddy with the humans or telling them to shut up the moment they have a disagreement with them, they will get villain batted again and we’ll have to suffer another expansion full of annoying cow pacifist comments.

1 Like

People do get that functionally the Horde has always been an Alliance right? Like, by the textbook definition we’ve always been one. All we did was lose what Blizz turned into a dangerous liability role within the faction, that quite frankly had already begun stretching the boundaries of being able to represent the races long before. And that was before the influx of new ARs. Plus, Kael betrayed his people to the forces of the Fell, and Doomhammer led his people to ruin with his war. The latter dying a broken man riddled with regrets and remorse.

I feel like “Red Alliance” is only ever used in reference to the Horde not defining its entire Faction Identity around simply being contrarian to the “Alliance”. How dare we want stability? Like, people do realize we have more WC3 Horde legends actively involved in the current Horde leadership than we’ve had in ages right? Thrall, Rexxar, Gazlowe, and Rokhan are all OG WC3 Horde. All Blizz really has to do is Loa up Vol’jin and finally remember my poor boy Nazgrel and functionally the only character we’ve lost from the original roster since WoW is Cairne.

Orgrim Doomhammer did what he had to do, conquer their enemies, I mean, that’s what the current horde lacks, leadership ready to put the interests of their own above all first and solve internal problems later.
Just consider this, when Thrall and company attacked the internment camps they weren’t liberating innocent civilians, they killed humans and destroyed human property to liberate prisoners of war, now we have leaders like Baine who dare advice to negotiate in the same room where the corpse of his ally lies.

Doomhammer fought the war he thought he needed to, because he and his people were left stranded on a World that wanted them dead. But the way he approached solving that problem nearly led to the extinction of his entire race; and even he came to terms with that at the end. Doomhammer didn’t have the power he needed to “conquer one’s enemies” and it ended in disaster for him and his people. His and Thrall’s attack to “Liberate their People” was only ever intended to be just that 
 then get away if they could. They picked a manageable fight they had a slim chance at winning, rather than overestimating themselves and picking a fight they couldn’t.

The current Horde keeps being forced to pick fights with an enemy we’re constantly told we could never hope to beat without them being ideologically and literally handicapped. Look how that’s repeatedly turned out. The Horde may be stronger now than its ever been, but don’t think to believe we’ve yet gotten to the point where we could take them out. At best, we’ve only gotten strong enough that taking us out may not be worth the catastrophic losses.

2 Likes

I’m totally ok with that and think just like you, considering what was happening in Draenor and that they were already there he did what he had to, conquer land for his people, didn’t work in the end but I think it was probably because of Gul’dan and the feud they had at that point.

Now about the internment camps, the objective was only to liberate and leave but it was still an act of aggression towards the humans, imagine Baine there telling Thrall, Orgrim and Grom that they shouldn’t kill humans and instead negotiate their liberation, he would have never sided with them considering that the humans were doing nothing wrong there.

To summarize, I’m not advocating for more senseless killing, I want the characters of my faction to show a little dignity, old Thrall stood side by side with two times blood crazed Grom even after he killed Cenarius, current leaders are too trigger happy with their own and soft with the enemy.

1 Like

There is a hunting grounds heaven thing for some orcs. Though I can definitely see Grom going to Maldraxxus instead.

Blizzard damaged the Horde character roster too much. Getting some of them back for good is just fair retribution.

I think that both Droite and Exacitor made good arguments, but honestly I lean towards developing the characters that were in the background and giving them their time in the spotlight over bringing back old ones. The problem with legacy characters like Thrall or Jaina is that they have had time in the sun, and they have had their stories. But because Blizzard thinks that the fans expect to see them, the writers have to keep coming up with ways to try and keep them relevant and include them in the story. Their characters suffer as a result. Does anyone seriously enjoy mopey Thrall or bipolar Jaina? Bringing back dead legacy characters would probably just set them up for the same treatment.

‘Old reliables’ indeed.

1 Like