Garrison Building Won't Upgrade - Says I Don't Have Blueprints / Plans

I’ve been leveling my Draenor garrison, and sometimes I find I’m unable to upgrade a building even though I should be able to do so. The reason given by the software is that I don’t know the plans. However, I most definitely DO know the plans, as indicated in this video demonstrating the problem.

I researched this online and found it’s an old problem. The most common solution is that if you just wait long enough, sometimes days, it will eventually fix itself. Many quicker solutions are offered. Here’s what I tried that did not work:

• /restart
  • Log off and back on character.
  • Disable all addons and /restart.
  • Exit and restart game.
  • Change game language. Exit game and restart. Change language back. Exit game and restart.
  • Use ‘character stuck’ action in help menu.

Here are the steps that finally did work:

1. Change language.
  2. Exit game and restart.
  3. Change language back.
  4. Exit game and restart, but log in to a different character.
  5. Log out of that character.
  6. Log in as original character.
21 Likes

Thanks! Doing the “Character Stuck” option fixed it for me.

1 Like

@Skrigity, your language solution was the only solution that actually worked for my issue. Thank you!

1 Like

Another solution is to fly out of the garrison and head a decent distance away. (enemy outpost for either faction Ogre ruins for ally, Orc skeleton stronghold for horde.) Then fly back. That usually fixes it.

4 Likes

Came here to say that as of August 2020 this is still a problem. I logged onto my toon that has a level 3 garrison and everything should be maxed out yet I cannot start work orders or upgrade 1 or 2 buildings that I should be able to upgrade. It says I don’t have the plans…so I buy them and then it tells me I already know the plans *sigh. Going to try your suggestions above and hope something works. This is annoying!

6 Likes

I flew pretty far out of my garrison (like half a zone away), /reloaded, then flew back and now I can upgrade my buildings again!

1 Like

This is still an issue as of 2 Oct 2020. I tried your language/logout method but it didn’t work for me.

Just had this issue today in pre-patch 9.0

I’ve been having this issue every time I buy a plan and learn it but don’t upgrade it right away. The fix above didn’t work for me. I put in a ticket for the first one and miraculously it started working after they looked into my character’s garrison a couple weeks back. I just did it again without thinking because I forgot I didn’t have enough resources yet, and now have the same problem on another character. Moral of the story: DO NOT LEARN PLANS UNTIL YOU’RE READY TO UPGRADE!

I am also unable to build new buildings or upgrade Garrison Trading Post to Level 2. The “Trading Post, Level 2” Plans were purchased and learned prior to building the Trading Post Level 1 and also prior to upgrading Town Hall to Level 3. This issue was encountered 10/31/2020.

I bought the plans again and tried to learn them but the game displayed “You already know that blueprint.” in red text. After that I became unable to build any new buildings.

I do not use addons. I have the resources. I tried changing languages. This functionality is bugged.

Update: I installed WOW on another computer and was able to upgrade and build buildings from there. I assume there is something about this bug that is client side. It should still be resolved and not require another computer.

2 Likes

I have a laptop with WoW on it, so I also tried this, but it didn’t work for me. :frowning: I think the last time I had this issue, I logged into the laptop and it had worked, but this was after Blizzard had been in my account and said it had appeared to be working for them. I guess I will have to put in another ticket, but I hope they fix it before I have to do it again.

Edit: This is definitely an issue that has happened for me, but apparently, it upgraded at some point and is working now. I have more herbs in my herb garden and can upgrade to level 3, but I don’t remember finalizing the plot on this character.

Same issue encountered in version 9.0.7. Followed the fly a distance away and reload suggestion, and it worked for me.

For what it’s worth, I’ve just now resolved the issue by flying from my garrison at Frostwall in Frostfire Ridge all the way north to Bloodmaul Stronghold. There, I invoked the /reload console command, and upon returning, was able to upgrade my Lumber Mill to level 3.

Here it is 2021 and your post saved me alot of trouble. You are a gentleman and a scholar, I commend you! May life bring you eternal happiness for providing such a helpful solution, cheers!

Worked for me, thank you!

I was having the same issue in upgrading my trading post to lvl 2. I followed the suggestions in the OP which didn’t work for me. I then tried flying to the stronghold and reloading which didn’t work, either. Or maybe it worked differently. I still couldn’t level to 2 but I WAS able to use the lvl 3 plans and THEN upgrade my trading post to lvl 2. This DID NOT work until I flew north and reloaded my UI. I had tried learning the lvl 3 plans and upgrading previously but I didn’t fly north out of the garrison and reload my UI.

Thank you all for submitting your workarounds.

Thank you so much, weird that changing the language fixed the problem - but it did.

Flying far away, /reloading, and then flying back worked. What a ridiculous bug. Thanks for the fix.

I just entered the proving grounds, by talking to the guy in the center of the big room. When I arrived I just clicked on my portrait and clicked leave instance. I was ported back and was able to upgrade my fishing shack.

1 Like

Any fix yet?

I still can’t upgrade buildings to level 2