Gameplay =/ Lore

Hot damn, never has anyone ever made me want to play FF14 again. And yet you just did it.

I’d argue the Blizzard problem - telling players to go screw unless they spend literal years persistently begging and prostrating themselves for features - is much more damaging.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I can’t say I enjoy the RP much there. I play it but mostly because I do savage with my friends there since we never were able to raid properly on wow without going on memers’ servers.

Both games have pro and good. But the main idea of my post was more to try tell OP that forcing his idea on others will flat out not work. I think as for the rest, it’s more another place to discuss it out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, pro and good?

And I would agree with Ursuola that refusing to listen to fans or acknowledge they exist, while FFXIV always at least issues a response to requests, is why one of those games is in decline, while the other is more popular than ever.

Wow has a great combat. It’s not all that bad, the world is quite big and open. It has a variety of difficulty for all kind of taste. But a lot of is still about going out and socializing.

FF14 has it all for the casual player. Anyone can become geared, there’s almost not RNG, just same repetitive grind. My two cents, FF14 is on the rise for the game play that can be easily fit for anyone. And favor a solo progression. It’s not bad, but it’s not necessarily better.

So yes, I definitely think both games have good and bad points. I ain’t doing favoritism. I play both, but for their strengths. And I skip on the boring parts.

You’re of course entitled to your opinion but combat and class mechanics are probably the most universal complain BfA is facing.

The horror.

:scream:

Well that’s entirely subjective. The only factual point you can make is popularity, in which case what I said stands. WoW will remain for the few hardcore raiders to pat each other on the back and stream. FFXIV seems to want to cater to… everyone else. Which is not a dumb business or design move to say the least.

Well it is probably right I am entitled to my opinion but I do play the game a lot and play every jobs. So I definitely don’t make the claim without backup. You can look me up.

Divinas Windrunner on Lodestone, that’s their armory version.

… I don’t follow. You said WoW has great combat, now you’re talking about FF.

Let’s just drop that topic.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Okay.

Not so much of a hot take as just factually correct

4 Likes

Damn me, another one? Soljeron makes all previous lorenazis look loveable and accepting.

Do it on a mount my dude - makes life wonderful.

2 Likes

Well, I DID just come across someone’s RP description that was mostly ranting about exactly the same stuff this guy rants about (also calling people cucks and whining about gay characters and everything else under the sun) so maybe he DOES have a character on WRA.

Or there’s someone just as offended as the OP for…who knows what reasons. I mean, ok, you don’t like certain RP styles? Cool. But no one cares. No one really cares. Because why? You’re not forced to RP with anyone–you can literally just not engage. Why you throwing a fit about something completely voluntary, bros? :expressionless:

2 Likes

I appreciate when people use this term seriously. Its big ole flag letting everyone know its safe to ignore them.

5 Likes

Oh, man, I had someone like that try to apply to my guild.

It was the fastest “we don’t think you’re a fit” conversation I’ve ever had.

3 Likes

As long as this topic is still going, I may as well try to make something productive out of it… actually, I’m probably just going to ramble about the strange lore of some game mechanics. Deal with it.

Ghost Wolf
Shamanism deals with the elements, and a lot of other ambiguous stuff. So weird spells aren’t totally out of place for the class. But why turn into a wolf? There’s the tie-in to Lo’gosh, but not much else on the subject. Some Shaman can simply turn into an incorporeal ghost of a wolf.
Part of me suspects they’re just copying one of Chakotay’s stories from Star Trek: Voyager, because it’s sound similar to one of them, I’ve caught them doing that before.

Summon Water Elemental
Absolutely iconic to Jaina. But the lore on how Mages do this is sparse, despite being in nearly every game. In fact, there’s little solid lore on whether the Water Elemental is an arcane construct made up of water, or an actual elemental summoned from the plane of water. Apparently, it’s so ambiguous that it’s a regularly debated topic among the Kirin Tor, though Khadgar suspected maybe the elemental came from a conglomeration of living water in the air.

1 Like

It’s been a little while since I’ve read the book - but if I recall, Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War, goes into detail on this. If I remember correctly, she uses arcane energy to forcefully bend the water elementals to her will - which makes it almost comparable to a form of dark shamanism, that’s not necessarily in harmony with nature.

1 Like

Wait a minute…

Dark Shamans are just Idiot Mages! This changes everything!

1 Like

Those are beautiful boxes ;;

As for gameplay and lore: I usually look into my class’ spellbook for inspiration, but it’s not and all ends thing.

Also at @Keelhaul, that’s actually interesting to know, in a rp I did a few weeks back my fledgling veld mage wanted to summon other elementals as well, but was cautioned against it. Why can’t mages summon an air spirit? A fire one? Just because of the spellbook? And because shamans? (My shammy is only lv 60 idk what I’m doing heh)

1 Like