Gameplay =/ Lore

do you think if a warrior deflected a physical icicle shot at them by a frost mage with their physical shield it would be breaking lore

No one’s written a book about how spells interact so there isn’t a source, but simply logic. If you can’t understand that a spell isn’t about to bounce off of a metal shield then I don’t know what to tell you champ.

An icicle… traveling at a high speed and colliding against a shield… hmm… what would happen? Oh yeah, ice is brittle so it would bounce off and head another direction of course. That makes sense…

So there isn’t a source, so there isn’t a definitive answer, so you’re just blowing hot air.

V cool.

3 Likes
2 Likes

yeah you’re right like what’s next?

warriors and paladins and shamans blocking arrows shot at them by hunters with their shields?

blocking arrows with shields would never happen in real life or a video game, that just doesn’t make sense they’re travelling too fast

1 Like

@Soljeron

6 Likes

why can’t a shield block a concentrated ball of fire

if it was a stream like say, the dragon’s breath spell, that might be harder

So what you’re saying is that the gameplay does, in fact, support the lore?

3 Likes

If nothing else, threads like these are amazing for all the memes I can pilfer for my own collection.

So, in regards to that … you’re a Warrior? You’re wearing enchanted weapons, armor, rings, necklaces and whatever else you can possibly cram onto your body for that extra inch of power and survivability against the endless legions of spell-flinging, tentacle-waving, C’Thulian monstrosities that come crawling out of the latrines every other tuesday.

Spell Reflect? A simple enchantment on the shield that can turn some spells back against their caster. It doesn’t work against a lot of magical effects, but simple spells? You bet your bippy any Warrior looking to survive on the battlefield is gonna want at least one of these.

Thunder Clap? You’re throwing an alchemical potion on the ground, you’ve got enchanted boots that are also the thing that turns your Heroic Leap from just a jump into a, well, Heroic Leap.

Whirlwind Blade or whatever that ability is that sends a weapon out to do a spin-to-win while you move on? Dancing Weapon enchantment.

In regards to the comment about being the ‘Champion’? Eh … yeah, it could be a bit on the nose to claim you are THE Champion, but ‘a’ Champion is quite within the realms of possibility. Maybe you’re lugging around a crude copy of the Heart of Azeroth. Maybe you are a Champion of your respective faction(s)/people.

The true answer to RP is never ‘Why?’, but rather, ‘Why not?’. There’s always a way to make an idea or concept work and fit into the universe Blizzard has crafted for us to play in.

6 Likes

Shields reflecting magic is part of a literally millennia-old tradition, actually.

You do know this is a fantasy game, right?

4 Likes

If you have to break this out, you never had an argument in the first place.

4 Likes

homeboy doesn’t want a high fantasy game and wishes the people that played Warcraft were playing ren faire instead

3 Likes

I’d hate to write a character that I’m just starting out as some kind of champion. The stuff I come up with is ultimately divorced from all or most things that the ‘champion’ does, and if anything like that is shared, it’ll ultimately be trivial stuff that NPCs or anyone else outside the immediate area where the quest is wouldn’t care about.

Any huge accomplishments I give my characters would be stuff that I do through RP with other people.

If only that guy had a shield for reflecting.

8 Likes

LMAO

@Quinn is this you?

no because gameplay is saying that by raising a shield you can deflect any spell in the game

Sort of like how my sprint breaks me out of movement-imparing effects, except for all the ones it doesn’t?

No, I’m not mad about it, why do you ask?

1 Like

Simply logic? In regards… to magic?

No this is.

Hes back to tell us all that we’re playing make believe wrong.

Everyone prostrate yourself before him, the self appointed RP god, first of his name and member of the best RP guild ever that must not be named.

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

i am best arpee

My Dargon is better than ur Dargon.

1 Like