Game won't launch

I was just playing a few hours ago. Everything was working normally. Logged off to eat dinner, do dishes, etc. I come back and it won’t launch. I restarted my computer, deleted and reinstalled the game and Bnet launcher. Removed all apps from “open on login” list. Restarted again. Nothing. WoW won’t open. My Mac is a late 2017 model and I just upgraded it to Mohave when it came out. I can’t figure out what the issue is but I’d really like to be able to log in because I’m paying money for this.

Can you describe what happens when you try to launch the game? Does the WoW icon bounce in the dock and then disappear?

Yep that’s what happens. I hit ‘play,’ the icon bounces a bit then disappears. The launcher says the game is running, but it’s not.

This sounds like a permissions error. Here are the steps to remedy that (easy mode):

1. Open Activity Monitor and click the Memory tab (this makes it so the list does not constantly shift on you). Activity Monitor is found in /Applications/Utilities.

2. Check for any Agent processes. If they are running, highlight them and click the “X” button at the top of the window to quit. You may need to force quit Agent if it has not done so on its own after 30 seconds.

3. Right click your World of Warcraft folder and select Get Info.

4. Click the padlock icon that appears at the bottom of the Get Info window, enter your administrator password and press enter.

5. Click the pulldown menu on the same line as the Administrators group in the permissions pane andn select Read and Write.

6. Do the same for the pulldown menu on the same line as your current account name.

7. Click the cogwheel icon on the bottom of the Get Info window and select Apply to enclosed items…. Confirm your choice.

8. Close the Get Info window.

9. Repeat steps #3-#8 on your BNet app (the “launcher” as people refer to it mostly).

Edit: I’d give you more complete instructions, but directory links containing the pertinent filenames count as LINKS which I can’t post. Go Go Crappy Trust System.

I did all of that. Everything lined up and looked good. The game still doesn’t launch. This is kind of infuriating. I wish I hadn’t bought the 6 month sub package because I just want to unsub now since I can’t play. So much for timewalking.

1 Like

The game is fully patched? there is no download bar of any kind. yellow or green.

Also, how long have you tried waiting when sitting there after launching game. First time you launch game it will appear hung while metal shaders are downloaded (since they aren’t part of base download). depending on internet connection this can be several minutes.

It is completely up to date.

When I click play, the button grays out and says ‘launching’ for a couple seconds, then it goes back to blue and says ‘game is running’ next to it. But the game itself is not running. It doesn’t not show up in Activity Monitor and the icon on the dock does not show that it is active or running.

I have tried everything. I have deleted and reinstalled Bnet and WoW multiple times. I have done scan and repair so many times. I don’t understand why the game won’t. just. launch.

What happens if you try and launch “World of Warcraft.app” directly from finder?

It prompts me for a language, I select English, press ok, then nothing happens.

it’s basically acting like data is missing. how much free disk space is there?

how big is data folder when you get info on it in finder?

I have 1.14 TB of free space. I’m reinstalling it again, and the main World of Warcraft folder says it’s about 51 GB.

Hrm. You might actually be missing some data. The download size for a fresh install that isn’t being copied from a PTR client or vice versa is ~54.8 GB. I just tested this by nuking my install and redownloading (which has the side benefit of making all data contiguous and thus load much faster, at least until patches start accumulating).

You might want to try this: Open Console, found in /Applications/Utilities, and then try to open WoW. You should be able to spot weirdness fairly easily so long as you have selected the All Messages pane in Console.

Hopefully you’ll be able to paste the last several lines from the time of you launching WoW here without it telling you links aren’t allowed (this is making tech support a royal pain in the petootie). I’d ask you to give a pastebin link, but again…link.

After a full reinstall, the file size is about 54.9 GB, so that’s not the problem. Console says this after I tried to launch it for the trillionth time:

l s d Unable to load Info.plist exceptions (eGPUOverrides)

Battle net Unable to load Info.plist exceptions (eGPUOverrides)

World of Warcraft Unable to load Info.plist exceptions (eGPUOverrides)

There’s more but it won’t let me add it because links.

You aren’t using an eGPU are you? If so, it might not have been ejected properly. Usually a restart remedies this.

I had to look that up because I didn’t even know what that was. I play on a laptop and have no external drives or cards attached when I play.

Seems to be a random Mojave issue from what I can find. Apple probably fudged something up. You could always try an SMC reset (you’ll need to google it since I can’t link still). It’s a longshot since the problem lies in the info.plist file itself currently or is at least tied to it, but anything goes in troubleshooting!

So this does appear to be a bug in Mojave that a small patch to WoW could easily fix. Strange that it was working just fine after I had initially upgraded my OS, but then I logged off to take a break and came back later to find it didn’t work. Hopefully the devs will get on this quickly. It feels bad to not be able to play a game I’ve payed far in advance for.

“eGPUOverrides” seems to be a common thing on Mojave (it appears for me as well). I suspect it is the OS reporting that the application does not explicitly ask to use a specific display (as per the new option to do so), so (almost) everyone probably sees it.

As Tia suggested, try an SMC and PRAM reset, and also (assuming you haven’t already) try deleting your entire WoW install and reinstalling.

Well, after trying literally everything suggested on this thread and elsewhere on the internet, nothing has changed. The game still won’t launch. So I guess I won’t be playing WoW until either the game is patched, or Mojave receives an update. Thanks to all who tried to help. I’m supremely annoyed that I payed so far in advance for my sub that I now have no use for, but it is what it is.

Not sure if downgrading to High Sierra is an option for you, but if so that will probably get you up and running before waiting for Blizzard or Apple to fix the problem…