Game takes forever to launch

I just love waiting 5-20mins (yes i’ve timed it) on wow to launch. Yes I’ve re-installed. Ran scan and repair before that. Honestly most of the time I get tired of waiting for the game to launch and go play something else. Like FFXIV which has never given me an issue. And starts up instantly.

I’m just going to keep reposting this until activision… i mean blizzard actually decides to help. This has been an ongoing issue for years now for me and many others, and nothing has been done. They don’t even address the issue. Blue’s chime in every now and then asking to run the repair tool and re-install but neither works. I’ve even went as far as to reformat my hdd, no change.

10 Likes

I’m also afflicted.

4 Likes

I’ve also been having this same issue off and on for the past several weeks. Sometimes it starts right up, sometimes it takes 10+ minutes, and I can’t identify a pattern to what makes it slow.

7 Likes

Normally it’s cause you don’t have the game being forced to your actual GPU and it does a dance until Windows assigns it correctly.

Few other threads showing this fixed it for them.

1 Like

Found this

"Jambrix

1148 posts

Feb 8

Hey all,

If the game is taking several minutes to launch (5 to 10 minutes) it could indicate there’s another program running in the background which is preventing the game from launching immediately. Usually it ends up being anti-virus or possibly malware causing problems. If you do run anti-virus try temporarily disabling the protection for a couple of minutes to see if WoW launches quicker.

You may also try rebooting using Selective Startup which should shut down anything else running in the background, in order to determine if something else is conflicting with the game.

1. Press Windows Key + R .
  2. Type msconfig and press Enter .
  3. Select Selective startup and uncheck Load startup items .
  4. Select the Services tab.
  5. Check Hide all Microsoft services .
    6.Note : Skipping this step may prevent your computer from rebooting correctly.*
  6. Click Disable all .
  7. Click Apply then click OK .
  8. Click Restart

Lastly make sure your [graphics drivers are updated "

Worked on the first try. Crossing my fingers.

2 Likes

This worked first go!

Edit: and now it’s stopped working again…

3 Likes

It’s not anti-virus. Tried disabling then starting WOW, still takes 5+ minutes.

4 Likes

Same thing happening to me. And when I DO get into the game, it takes forever to load, can’t go past 30 fps (though I’m running RE4 at max just fine),my character is invisible for 5 minutes, and assets take even longer to load in.

3 Likes

It’s gotten really bad for me since the patch. It happened once in a while before, just enough to be annoying. Now it’s literally every time I try to launch the game. About 10-15 minutes each time.

4 Likes

I USED to have this problem if I left my computer running and wandered off and it went to sleep for a few hours and I came back and tried to launch WOW, but since the last patch it happens every time. I literally logged out for 5 minutes before, came back and hit play and it STILL did it.

2 Likes

Same here… Love working all week, then putting up with this BS. So annoying.

3 Likes

I’ve been having the same problem for months.

6 Likes

Still working for me, but it’s broken other software my pc runs. Steam and EA’s app aren’t happy.

Edit: No longer working for me as soon as i posted this. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

I came to the boards to see if anyone else is having this very issue. At times it starts right away. Others it takes forever. Last 4 days no matter what I haven’t been able to get it to start up

3 Likes

Same here. And, no, I am not interested in having to reconfigure my system to accommodate some flaw in the game’s programming. This is a fairly new phenomenon but happens regularly if not consistently. No other program has this issue. None.

5 Likes

I agree. It’s crazy…hopefulky they get it straight by next sub date or I will place it on hold

1 Like

Not sure if this is something that anyone here can help me with.

Recently I subscribed to World of Warcraft again, I wanted to check out the new patch and level a few alts. Thankfully the game was already updated, and I already had my video card drivers updated etc. So I thought I was ready to go. I hit the play button and the game did not launch. Now, I experienced this issue once before, so I opened my task manager expecting to find World of Warcraft running as a background process.

But it wasn’t, instead it was running as a process under battle.net and after about 3-4 minutes (I was watching a YouTube video while I waited) the process moved from under battle.net to its own separate process and the game launched. Note, that this only happens with World of Warcraft. When I press play on Overwatch 2 it launches immediately, same with Warcraft III Reforged, almost instant launch. No significant delays between pressing play and being able to jump in the game.

Sadly the same method I used to fix the first launch issue I had with World of Warcraft did not work this time around. I uninstalled the Battle.net client, reinstalled it, but the same thing happened. It launched as a process within the battle.net client, and then after several minutes became its own process and launched the game.

Is anyone else experiencing something like this? Is it intended? Maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree and this belongs in tech support? I’m at a loss.

1 Like

This would be better off in tech support.

1 Like

This happens to me all the time. Sometimes it can take me 15 or 20 minutes to start the game. I have no solutions

2 Likes

Hey everyone,

Long load times for WOW are not fun. If you haven’t already done the following please give it a try. If you have I’d ask that you please put a support ticket in with system files as well as a Winmtr. This way if there is a bigger issue we can figure out what is going on.

• Defaulting the interface and all settings. Out of date addons or corrupted settings can cause a various amount of issues. The UI itself, even if not using addons, can also get wonky which if you do not use addons I still want you to do this.
On the note of addons, if you are using WoWUp, Raider.IO, Trade Skill Master, WoWMatrix or others you will need to uninstall them as even disabled they will continue to sync. The exception to this is if you reboot the system and do not open these programs at all.

These steps will not delete these folders but simply remove them from being accessed. Once everything is fixed up you can return these folders.

As a note: If everything does work correctly after the addons are removed you are going to want to move each addon, one at a time, to the newly created addon folder and test the game each time. This way you are able to pinpoint which one has been the trouble maker.

• You want to clear out any cobwebs, so to speak, in your connection. This is a hard reboot of the system and then clearing out the connection itself to get rid of any residual data.

1 Like