Game takes forever to lauch

I press launch and nothing happens and then it randomly launches like 10 minutes later. If I press launch 5 times, it opens 5 times. It doesn’t happen every time, but when it does…

9 Likes

Having the same problem.

2 Likes

I get this problem repeatedly. I have no idea how to fix it. I actually am getting it as I write this and I came here hoping for a solution or workaround. Unlikely. My inclination is this is a server side problem my computer has been fine and handled Shadowlands find until the prepatch broke everything and most of it has remained broken.

1 Like

Hey all,

If the game is taking several minutes to launch (5 to 10 minutes) it could indicate there’s another program running in the background which is preventing the game from launching immediately. Usually it ends up being anti-virus or possibly malware causing problems. If you do run anti-virus try temporarily disabling the protection for a couple of minutes to see if WoW launches quicker.

You may also try rebooting using Selective Startup which should shut down anything else running in the background, in order to determine if something else is conflicting with the game.

1. Press Windows Key + R .
  2. Type msconfig and press Enter .
  3. Select Selective startup and uncheck Load startup items .
  4. Select the Services tab.
  5. Check Hide all Microsoft services .
    Note : Skipping this step may prevent your computer from rebooting correctly.
  6. Click Disable all .
  7. Click Apply then click OK .
  8. Click Restart

Lastly make sure your graphics drivers are updated, since older drivers may cause issues with launching the game.

2 Likes

Lol, this is the most buggy expansion of all time. And in typical Blizzard faction, the dude above is “paid” (maybe) to reply the way he does above to decline all possibility that its something on their end despite this happening and people mentioning it since launch. Btw, not even mentioning the 100s of other bugs, glitches, crashes, add-on/lua errors, etc. etc.

6 Likes

Erm, no. Proper, logical, intelligent troubleshooting starts with suggesting the most common culprits for an issue. And that’s what that person did; suggest the most common culprits. Even if a hundred people get into the line for “my game loads too slowly,” there’s an astronomically small chance that they are all experiencing the same issue. People just aren’t that great at defining computer issues clearly… and “slow loading” is an extremely vague complaint that could have a dozen different causes.

So, by performing triage and suggesting the most logical, step-one fixes, you know what? It’ll solve the issue for fifteen of those hundred people, and they can go about their business. Now they’re instantly happy, and the queue of folks that still need help is reduced by 15%.

I get that there are a lot of bugs right now, and I get peoples’ frustration. What I don’t get is the seemingly obligatory responses in just about every recent bug report from that one person that pops in and says something to the effect of, “Blizzard (or another player, if they’ve suggested triage fixes) is just wasting your time, they refuse to acknowledge the problem, they’re just stringing you along, etc.”

And often, the person dropping this “sick knowledge” isn’t even involved in the thread to begin with.

Look, there’s a reason that triage is performed and diagnostics are run. If you think you’re having a heart attack, and you pop into the emergency room, the doctors don’t grab the nearest scalpel and go for a bypass. They do tests. Basic, front-line, simple tests. Like taking your temperature and getting some blood.

Because basic troubleshooting weeds out some of the problems. Oh, you know what, your blood tests say you actually aren’t having a heart attack… it’s just gas. So never mind the $65,000 operation and a heart transplant. Some antacid and you’re good to go.

So, yes, the suggestions made by Jambrix above should be tried by anyone experiencing slow game launches. And, if trying those things doesn’t help, all one needs to do is come back and say, “nope, those didn’t work.” Any angst is unnecessary.

4 Likes

try this if there is any problems in windows
Open Start, type: CMD
Right click CMD
Click Run as administrator
Type in at the prompt OR Copy and Paste these one at a time Wait till each one is finished before entering the next one

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Then run the System File Checker utility:
Open Start, type: CMD
Right click CMD
Click Run as administrator

At the Command Prompt, type: sfc /SCANNOW
This will check for any integrity violations

Restart your system

1 Like

This analogy makes no sense–a more fitting one would be that there has been patients complaining about chest pains for months and the doctors still have done nothing to address the concern other than treat some other patients’ “gas”. As for posting in someone else’s thread, that’s probably because they don’t even read the majority of the threads. So yeah, of course I will post in a thread they have posted so that they see the notification and assure that someone will at least read it (even if it does nothing).

I go into my nvidia(geforce) and launch from there. Instant.
Blizz launcher sucks because it ties into their other games.

1 Like

I have this issue as well, windows shell host seems to have something to do with it. When i end task on that, WOW launches.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.