Game suddenly freezes computer

For those of you having this issue, please have a look at the following article over at Partition Wizard and see if any of the steps, especially #2, work for you.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/dpc-watchdog-violation.html

While it is possible that the Battle.net app is triggering the error, it may not be the root cause, but merely a catalyst. Give the article above a thorough looksee and see if any of those steps apply to you and/or can help you.

And as noted by at least one poster, updating the graphics driver for your graphics card may be necessary, especially on the nVidia side where the driver versions after 441.xx and before 452.xx are involved.

for me the freezing was happening even on the latest gpu drivers. but i did find a fix. it seems to be related to the recent windows update from this morning. that update has failed to install for me twice. each time windows installed that update my pc started freezing, and when it froze i had to undue the update, then reinstall battle.net. right now i paused updates for 7 days. im also using the latest gpu drivers already, so updating the gpu drivers was not the fix for me. its definitely the windows update because i had to fix it twice. good luck

I’ve been having the same issues. Particularly, the video player and the arrows to scroll through the videos queued in it. I’ve also been getting errors in my Event Viewer log related to the launcher about a driver stopping responding and then getting recovered - but no hiccups at all in any videos or games open at the time. You might want check your event viewer for similar events (for me, it’s Event ID 4101.)

Edit: Should iterate - last time I was in-game, everything was fine. Purely an issue with the launcher.

I’ve played for over an hour launching and relaunching the battle.net client with no issues. Updating drivers worked for my Nvidia card

Hey there,

We are tracking this over on this main thread. So far, for folks who did not resolve the issue by reinstalling graphics drivers using DDU, the fix has been to disable browser hardware acceleration.

To disable hardware acceleration, make sure you’re logged out. Click the settings cog wheel just above where you’d normally log in. Once you’re in settings, click on advanced then uncheck the box for browser hardware acceleration. Should be good to go after that!

Hope the info helps. Let us know how things go!

I have been having this same issue. I re-installed, etc. and it worked fine yesterday and today I had the same issue. It is definitely an issue with the most recent video that was posted on the Battle.net launcher.

I’ve gotten around it by going into the retail folder and launching WoW from that instead of the Battle.net launcher and the issues went away.

I started to have this issue yesterday as well. I deleted my application and reedownloaded it yesterday afternoon and everything was working fine, and now I’m having the same issue.

As soon as I open up the Battle.net application and click ‘play’ on any game that I have downloaded the screen freezes for about 30 seconds to a minute, and restarts my computer. Some people are reporting that it could be an issue with the PTR that’s causing the crash, so I’ll delete that manually after I redownload the app again and see if that fixes it.

Just use the WoW icon inside of your retail folder. It bypasses the Battle.net launcher and you will be able to play.

So between last night and every night before with the launcher working perfectly fine and this morning apon booting up my launcher my pc froze to a blue screen followed by resetting the pc. Every single time I restarted the launcher it would do the same exact thing up to about 12 consistent tries. Finally after further research and a very frustrating constant uninstalling and reinstalling process…I disabled the hardware acceleration option and now it works fine. I’m wondering why now all of a sudden I’m having to turn off this option for my launcher not to outright freeze my pc and how will it effect my games (mainly WoW) moving forward. And is there something I need to do to other than uninstalling the client, if done this about 3 times today, to get this option to work again in my pc.

1 Like

A bunch of us had this issue today.

For most of us it looks like updating graphics card drivers from the websites worked.

I’m not very tech savvy, by that you mean update my graphics card driver right? I have nvidia and it uses a program to update it automatically if I dont do it my self after so long…should I just go in and update it ?

I just checked my drivers, says they are up to date.

I did they same thing, and out of frustration forced an update from the site and it fixed it. Mileage may vary, but it does seem to work for some people.

Okay so this was just a simple compatibility issue with the launcher and the graphics driver then? Thanks for your kind help Ddot. I was think ooooo man time for a new pc.

Update my NDIVIA driver to the 452.06 solved the issue. Don’t just do the Windows driver update, it’ll say your driver is current. Need to go to NDIVIA and download the 452.06 driver manually.

Having same issue…puter freezes before i can hit play button. I will try the driver update…

oh and it automatically reboots my system after about 2-3 minutes of lockup

edit: the vid driver update worked.

Same thing, only battle net launcher, locks pc with DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION.

You can run the game directly by starting wow.exe.

Thankyou Evam. This solved my issue

Bumping that i’m having the same issue. Computer locks up for 3 minutes followed by BSOD when battlenet opens. Thank god for auto-save and document recovery in MS word.

Hey there,

We are tracking this over on this main thread. So far, for folks who did not resolve the issue by reinstalling graphics drivers using DDU, the fix has been to disable browser hardware acceleration.

To disable hardware acceleration, make sure you’re logged out. Click the settings cog wheel just above where you’d normally log in. Once you’re in settings, click on advanced then uncheck the box for browser hardware acceleration. Should be good to go after that!

Hope the info helps. Let us know how things go!