Game of Thrones Discussion thread

I don’t know about that. GRRM is still listed as a producer and the things we’re seeing I think are the results of breadcrumbs he has given the writers.

[Moderator Edit] Lets chill with the spoilers…not everyone get a chance to watch it right away or is waiting for someone to watch it.

I don’t think anything is off the table. I just think they are wrapping up plot lines and character growth that has happened over the last 10 years. Bringing characters back in, Melisandre for example, to bring a finale or closure, if you will, to their individual story.

Well yeah, but everyone also knows to stay off the internet if they haven’t watched it yet LOL

[Moderator Edit] It’s kinda hard to stay off the internet, when its your job to moderate the forums.

Ohhhhhh you haven’t seen it… Never even thought of that!! Sorry :frowning:

I’ve just seen it. That was the most spectacular television ever created. This was Lord of the Rings kind of quality. Holy Jesus.

1 Like

While Jon sitting on the throne makes the most sense, it’s too predictable. If Martins anything, he’s certainly not predictable (well for the most part). Here are my votes for who wins the Game of Thrones.

1. Gendry. Beyond Dany & Jon, he’s definitely a contender for the Throne as seen by Melisandre, though many would have to die for that to happen.

2. Podrick. I’ll admit this is pretty far-fetched but honestly, I would love to see this guy win the Game of Thrones. He’s been such an odd-ball side character, loyal squire, and even a bard-type of character that i’d be the fool clapping if it ever happened. Of course the entirety of King’s Landing would probably be in ruins and he’d be ruling a nation of corpses if that happened.

3. Arya. Crazy right? So maybe she becomes the last person standing that has any claim to anything. Far-fetched? Sure, but considering how much of a sneaky rogue type that she is, any other contenders standing against her wouldn’t stand a chance. She’d also need a reason to want the Throne and for some reason I just don’t see that in her list of priorities.

I’ve seen a lot of complaints online about the ending but I personally loved it, my only complaint was that they spoiled it twenty minutes earlier in the episode. Imho they should have saved a certain conversation until just before the ending, with the characters involved being in a position to see what was going on with both Viserion and the Night King as he walked towards Bran.

I don’t usually say something like this, I’m not going all MeToo on y’all, but it seems like everyone that had a problem with the ending are dudes.

I loved it too. She’s always been my favorite character. I relate to her so much.

If you look back at all the episodes we were told long ago that it would be her. I really think it was great character growth and really encompasses everything we watched her learn and go through.

If I had any complaint it would be that I couldn’t SEE what was happening 90% of the time. I’d get glimpses then it would all be a jumble of dark colors swirling lol.
I’m going to rewatch it to see what I may have missed.

I don’t think it was the best episode, Battle of the Bastards was still way more epic imo, but all these are setting up the next and the ending so who knows.

My only major complaint beyond the color palette was the god awful defense plan. It’s like they were trying to lose.

The individual character moments were awesome.

1 Like

There’s only so much you can do when you’re so hopelessly outnumbered, but I have to question the training of the unsullied since they positioned the catapults and trebuchets in front of the army instead of behind it where they belong. They should have been firing those off nonstop until after the retreat.

It’s hard to do this without spoilers but I’ll try.

1. Needed more trenches especially in front of and between ranks. A lot more.
  2. No flank protection (trenches)
  3. No archer support except at the wall.
  4. The Dothraki should have been employed as a scouting/harassing force. While I don’t think what they did was part of the plan, they shouldn’t have been in that position in the first place.
  5. No pitch for wall defense.
  6. The archers on the castle walls just kinda stood there until the undead crossed the trench. They clearly had the range.

There’s more but I don’t want to cross too much into spoiler territory. My biggest gripe by far was the lack of trenches protecting the ranks. If the whole idea was to slow down the undead horde until the Night King was drawn out, they should have employed a lot more trenches to force the mob into certain zones where they could have been more easily picked off via archers within the ranks.

Of course all of this is underscored by how dumb of a battle plan the Night King had. Literally all he had to do was encircle Winterfell and wait for starvation to set in. It’s not like he had to worry about supply lines or anything.

1 Like

Why didn’t Bran do his Raven thing to scout for them? Tell them what they were doing, when they were moving, etc… Where exactly did he “go” for the entire fight?

Most of the complaints about the ending seem to just be that they wanted to see john duel the night king.

Well maybe him NOT killing the Knight King was to tell us his real fight is for the throne

SPOILERS

The Long Night was a disappointing episode for me, so much that it kinda ruins the whole show.

These are my reasons why.

1. Couldn’t see or keep track of what was going on due to the frequent cuts, the blizzard and smoke. It all meshed with the dark creating an awful viewing experience even though it was realistic. Realistic isn’t always the way to go for your viewers, hard to appreciate something you can barely see and I even turned my brightness up. Still didn’t help.

2. The plot armor is ridiculous in this episode, no major characters die even though there were a few moments that it looked like one might but in the next scene they’re fine.

3. The battle plan was stupid, why send in your whole Dothraki army into the nightly abyss, charging at an enemy you can’t see is never a good idea. What happened to that Dothraki saying “Never face the Dothraki in open field” unless you are the living dead I guess. Where were the archers? Volleys, catapults, why was no one defending the wall until it was too late? So many errors.

4. The ending was what ruined it for me, I don’t care that Arya delivered the fatal blow. I care about the delivery of it, where did she come from? She materialized out of air, just a few scenes ago the wights could detect a blood droplet, the Night King was surrounded by wights and only one suspected something? Does she float above ground not making a sound in snow?

It was so underwhelming that the Night King was defeated so easily, it made him look like a joke. We have been building up the Night King and his army for 8 years or so, season 1 through season 8 “Winter is coming” Season 8 episode 1 and 2 “Winter is here” episode 3 “Winter is over

What?! Are you serious? One night was all that was, the greatest threat in Westeros couldn’t even get past Winterfell, are you effing kidding me?! The Night King was supposedly prepping for this moment for 10,000 years or something and he can’t get past Winterfell or manage to kill any major characters. What an absolute joke!

Was Nan lying in this clip because this is what I was hoping for.

Nothing like she described, winter was more like a short storm.

I feel so let down, like I wasted my time. I don’t even care how GoT ends now…

This video sums up how I feel about The Long Night

1 Like

To be fair, I don’t think the Dothraki charge was planned. I think they charged on their own because that’s how they normally fight. There’s a brief cut of Jorah with a look on his face that practically says “Uhhh crap, guess we’re doing this.”

That said, I don’t know why the Dothraki were at the front of the lines rather than the flank.

1 Like

I’m wondering who will possibly die tonight. And I wanna see the dragons burn all the wight corpses.

I am glad the Night King is becoming the buttend of Jokes on the Internet because that means a Lich King movie will be well received and they will compare him to the Night King in the sense at how so much better he is then the Night King.

Fun fact. Starbuck support House of Starks…Someone forgot to remove it on set while filming it >.>