Game not listing characters on realm

I don’t know what the category this falls under and I shouldn’t have to filter and read over a hundred different categories just to ATTEMPT to get an answer to this problem. Clearly it would seem that the effort here is to discourage people from reporting problems as well as deterrent for other players to find them.

The problem here is that the companion realm I have characters on is now not showing them, though they do appear to be there. Prior to to this, yesterday, even though they were grayed out it was pretty easy (for years) to find the realm you had characters on. In the list of realms you could simply click on the arrow at the top of the list and it would list your realm with the occupation of characters you had from higher to lower (ie. THIS REALM (25), THAT REALM (2), etc.) .

NOW you hit that arrow and it doesnt show the number and in some cases doesn’t even show the realm. ALSO both the main realm and its companion realm were medium to low population for years and now it shows “high” (in red). How did the realm population suddenly change overnight and how might this affect my game play when I purposely joined low pop. servers/realms when I created the characters?

Lastly, this problem seems to only affect my HORDE characters, but NOT my alliance characters that are located on a completely different pairing of realms.

There have been some interesting side effects of the realm merge that happened during yesterday’s reset, including the notation on the character select screen that shows how many characters are on a given realm. For some people, that number vanished. For others, it showed a number on a realm they haven’t touched for years.

Higher population was the intention behind the merge.

While I’m not sure if there’s a coming fix for it, logging into the realms should repopulate those numbers just fine.

3 Likes

It depends on the issue, Velonna. The categories are generally set so that our staff only receives tickets for issues that they can help with.

Bugs, like a character display issue, would be best reported to our QA team so they can look into it.

1 Like

my server was one that merged yesterday (perenolde) and all of my perenolde-based characters are gone too. ive opened a ticket, but for the time being, im missing 9 level 120 characters. i am seriously not happy. ive been playing since shortly after vanilla launch almost 15 years ago. one of my toons is almost 15 years old. and its missing… and none of the troubleshooting tips work. i have a couple toons i made to mess with during down-times, those are there, on other servers. but my main toons are all gone.

Just to be certain, Aheck, did you log into the Perenolde realm? and you are logged into your main WoW license? I can see all of those characters on Perenolde, they haven’t gone anywhere.

If you don’t see them, perhaps try creating a character on that realm.

2 Likes

perenolde is NOT listed in my blizz launcher. i already deleted the cache app, didnt change. the only toons listed are ones i made to fiddle with during downtimes on different servers.

Are you making sure to sort the realm list by name? That has seemed to help others who aren’t initially seeing the listing for their realms that were connected.

Also, the character count displayed there might not be accurate until you log in to the realm itself. At least mine weren’t on Ravenholdt/Twisting Nether this morning.

1 Like

i just finished completely reinstalling the app. i removed it using “revo uninstaller” so it got rid of all the cache, registry stuff, etc. now perenolde is there, but it didnt show any number of characters until after i logged into it. now it shows them.

Ah, so it wasn’t that the character’s weren’t listing them on the realm, you couldn’t see the realm. Gotcha.

Excellent!

No, it wouldn’t necessarily show them. The character count isn’t an automatic scan that checks for characters across your entire account. It is a count that is updated when you log into that specific realm.

4 Likes

So it ends up that I logged out went to my main’s realm G.H. , saw that it showed I had (1) character there when there should show 8, or 9, logged into it and they were all there.

Now the companion, or connecting realm where i have 1 less character wasn’t even listed initially.
I searched for it before logging into G.H. looked over the list of characters and yep they were all there and then logged out and searched manually for my realm that when I finally found it at the bottom, showed no characters.

I logged into it anyway and they were all there, switched back to this realm I’m on now, subsequently logged out entirely, logged back in and now all the realms are showing the correct numbers and listed at the top of the realm lists, but they are showing HIGH populations which really stinks because I created characters on those realms because they were NOT high pop realms.

Who thought merging those realms was a good idea? The noobs have already devastated the pricing on the AH and it was finally going back to normal. I can only imagine how damaging this merging will be to those of us trying to make a steady (virtual) income.

Will there a bail out? Check in the mail or auto-deposited into my account?

I come to this game for ESCAPE from the real world {Removed}. :angry:

The game developers did since some of the realms had lower populations and players, like yourself, had been concerned about those populations. So they took action.

Who’s to say that they haven’t actually brought the prices to a real “normal”?

Not following you here unfortunately. Do you mean, will Blizz give you in-game gold you didn’t earn? No. Real money? No to that one too.

If you have a constructive suggestion to make though, I’d recommend the in-game suggestion feature so that you can pass it along to the development team directly.

4 Likes

I want to cover this because I keep seeing the word being used. To be clear, the realms were not merged. They were not combined in a way that absorbed one realm over another. They were connected meaning on a basic level they are simply sharing the same world instance.

Characters on connected realms can belong to the same guild, trade normally, communicate, share the same auction house, everything almost exactly like they were of the same realm but they keep their own identity. They don’t have to settle naming conflicts by forcing one person to give up their name, etc…

6 Likes

SO where are the Realms? Drak’Thul and Skywall are completely missing from my realm list.

EDIT: I resorted the Realm list by name and now they are showing there in the realm list

2 Likes

That didn’t work for me, so I made the mistake of scanning the game for problems… Now I have a new one. I’m stuck in a constant scan loop which I hope is fixed by deleting the .idx files from the data files, but I’ll have to check tonight.

Havent played my mains since Tuesday. On a related note: absence makes the heart grow fonder and I’ve picked my mains.

Yeah I was “concerned” about the population being TOO HIGH which is why I joined those two low pop. servers There already were and have been existing high pop. servers that anyone could have joined, if that was what they were looking for. It makes no sense to increase the pop. for servers that people may have like just as they were. Now all my characters are stuck on a high pop. server which is not what I wanted at all which is why I created them on med-low pop. servers.

Technically speaking, the population of your server hasn’t actually changed. Yes, the wording when logging in might have, but your specific server likely hasn’t suddenly seen in increase in new player on it just because they connected it with other realms.

Keep in mind, the servers weren’t merged into one single server. The only thing that happened was that servers were connected so that they would share the AH and allow people to join guilds on the connected servers.

There’s not much, beyond that, which changed for your server.

2 Likes

if you run an realmID api check on a character from a connected server, you will see that the realm id the character is on traces back to a specific server within their connected group, so in practice the servers are merged (just with multiple log in portals retained so as to not cause naming conflicts)…

What basically happens is that while each realm still retains its unique ID, there is one single ID for the connected server that can usually be traced back to one of the old pre-connection servers that existed before, the other servers data just gets copied over and then the login portal redirects.

It also explains why the vast majority of the problems, particularly with guild things going missing etc. that come to light are from people/guilds on the servers that are being copied over, there haven’t been nearly as many problems reported from people on the servers that act as the “host” server of the connection.

Source? I’ve seen nothing that says the ones having the issues only come from specific realms.

there isn’t any concrete source, but you can see it with where people are reporting issues:

on EU-Aman’thul - Nazjatar, all the guild problem/missing chars happened for people & guilds who were on Aman’thul, the Nazjatar cluster was fine and there weren’t any problems to my knowledge reported by people from there (Aman’thul was copied onto the Nazjatar cluster)

Same thing with the more recent EU connection, the missing chars on the realm list were all on Gilneas/Ulduar, not on the Nefarian group (the server it was copied to) and if you observe the posts here the posts of missing guild banks/missing chars from realm list are all affecting characters from the copied realms.

For reference in the most recent set of US mergers, the old Skywall/Perenolde/Lothar/TwistingNether server clusters are the servers that got copied, the Silvermoon/Cenarius/Trollbane/Maelstrom servers are the host servers for those connected servers.