Game Freezes and Stops Responding when I log out or Exit

Hey Tratt,

I had 2x 8GB sticks, and recently added 2x 16GB sticks.

The 8GB sticks are:

G.Skill 16GB (2 x 8GB) TridentZ Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz for Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory F4-3200C16D-16GTZ

The 16 GB Sticks are:

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GTZKW

Ahh I double checked - somehow I missed that on the CPU-Z. Let’s remove the old 8GB sticks. Unless that is a workstation running CAD you don’t need 48GB. All you have there is Ram on vacation.

Hey,

When I just opened up to remove them, and found that I had (like a nub) put the 16 GB stick A in “Slot 1”, then 16 GB stick B in “Slot 2”, and the 8 GBs in Slots 3 and 4.

So it was:

When it should have been:

Think that could have been it? Here is a new CPU-Z report:

Mixing ram is a bad idea Soundscape. Can cause issues.

You really don’t need even 32GB of Ram. It doesn’t give you any more performance. Overclockers will tell you the less Ram you can use the better the stability. There is not game out there that recommends more than 16GB.

When I said it was Ram on vacation that’s exactly what it is - just sitting there doing nothing with potential to cause problems.

If the 2 - 16GB sticks seem to work well then we can enable the XMP profile and that will give you a performance boost.

Understood.

Give me an hour or two and I will remove the two 8 GB sticks. What is XMP?

Certified factory overclock for Ram. It’s an Intel thing. Basically boosts your Ram and the gaming Ram you have is XMP.

Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) and Overclock RAM

I’m off for awhile here Soundscape - I’ll check this thread later this afternoon.

Got it!

How’s that?

What about antivirus software? Are you running any?

I know the built in Windows Defender has exploit protection enabled, which definitely should be, but you might be able to whitelist WoW on there. Things like ASLR could possibly cause issues like this with memory addressing in a game engine because it deals with randomizing memory allocations.

Looks good Soundscape - XMP seems to be enabled so good there as well.

To confirm where you installed the Ram - counting from Processor. Slot 1 should be empty - Slot 2 installed - Slot 3 empty then the second stick in Slot 4. The DIMMs where the Ram is installed are a dark shade of grey/gray. Not Black.

Have you had a chance to test things.

I double checked the slots, good now. They were not.

I’m going to be playing a bit tonight and a lot tomorrow. I will update.

Thank you so much again.

Alright - I’ll keep an eye on this thread.

Still happening. :frowning:

Unless there’s another idea that you have tomorrow afternoon:

I’m going to uninstall battle.net and wow again, and delete all data/folders, restart, then reinstall.

You haven’t seen any further Wow error popups correct?

It looks like a clean uninstall might be in order. Let’s try a couple other things first.

I notice your Intel Ethernet driver is a little dated from 2016. I see no sign of wireless so I assume you are on cable connect. Let’s update that driver:

Download Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10

You want the [Wired_driver_26.2_x64.zip] - 3rd down on list. Install that then test.

The next thing I want to test is playing while in a Selective Startup state:

Closing Background Applications - Blizzard Support (battle.net)

Hey Tratt,

No further errors. Just the random freeze/lock up when choosing to logout or exit game every 2-3 logins.

I just installed the driver, and rebooted with all background applications off.

Alright - if you decide to reinstall open the Advanced section of this support page. Has a list of locations to look for left behind files and folders.

Uninstalling Games with the Battle.net Desktop App - Blizzard Support

Off forum here until this afternoon.

If you want to uninstall Bnet as well here are the instructions for a clean uninstall:

1. Control Panel > Programs and Features - uninstall Bnet.

2. Next open these folder locations. Delete any Battle.net, Blizzard, and/or Blizzard Entertainment folders.

(Press Windows Key + R then type or copy/paste each of these lines in the Run box separately. Click “OK” afterwards.)

%LOCALAPPDATA%
%APPDATA%
%TEMP%
%PROGRAMDATA%

1. Then go ahead and reinstall the app from here:

Afterwards right click the desktop icon then select “Run as Administrator”

Hey Tratt,

I did all of that and I’m still experiencing it. Could it be a graphical setting? A couple of days ago there was a new NVidia driver for the 2080 SUPER cards, too - maybe that?

We could try that new driver you mention. Download it then download the DDU tool.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3480

(scroll down page for the Official Download link)

Basically you extract the uninstaller from the download. (it will extract to a folder called DDU - the tool is inside that folder)

*Important: Unplug the Ethernet or disable the Wifi to avoid Windows automatic driver installation.

I like to boot the computer into safe mode then run the DDU tool. (This isn’t essential you can ignore the tools warning. You will need to confirm you have the windows password before you do so. If you are using a PIN Windows may ask for the actual password after running safe mode.)

On the tool you select Graphics type then Nvidia. Run the recommended “Clean then restart”.

(If AMD graphics were installed at one time you would want to run the tool again - set it to AMD then clean those remnants out)

Now for the install. Start the driver download. Select Graphics only (no GeForce Experience). Select Custom install carry on to the next pane. There is a box to check for Clean Install select (check) that box. (Resets the Nvidia control panel and profiles to defaults)

You will see a Windows Smart Screen warning when you start the Driver install as you are offline - ignore that.

Hey Tratt,

Sorry. I was out of town with Family this weekend. I will do this tonight. Does this remove all of the older versions?

Yes - it clears any remnants of old drivers.