Furbolg Enemies in Ashenvale Overtuned

The Furbolg enemies found throughout Ashenvale are dealing significantly more damage than other enemies found in the zone, making completion of quests in places such as Thistlefur Village much more difficult than what is likely intended.

In particular, quests like "Too Far Gone" and "A Not-So-Charmed Life" are virtually impossible to solo at-level due to the sheer strength and density of the Furbolg enemies (facing more than one Furbolg enemy at once seems to be certain death when done at-level when solo).
11 Likes
I can confirm this issue - I attempted the quests above and was absolutely demolished by Dal Bloodclaw, the NPC you need to kill to complete "Too Far Gone".

I believe their "Coat of Thistlefur" thorns damage is the culprit. It says on the tool tip that the thorns do 24 damage, but in my experience it was doing nearly four times that amount in the 90-100 range per proc.
5 Likes
So I wasn't imagining this. I thought that area was ridiculously hard.
3 Likes
I've got a highmountain tauren running into this issue myself.
2 Likes
I just checked my log, and Dal Bloodclaw did 358 melee damage, 819 Bloody Strike damage, and 2573 Coat of Thistlefur damage. Coat of Thistlefur responds to every physical attack with about 100 damage at my level, and there is no mitigation.
2 Likes
I'm glad I'm not the only one.
I'm a fairly new player, but I haven't had much trouble until I got into this area.
That Coat of Thistlefur damage is atrocious.
3 Likes
I'm having the same issue. It also appears to be tied to my attacks. The more I hit them, the more damage I take. Going through here as a fury warrior just feels if not impossible, needlessly difficult with no real way around it. I've just given up on that chunk of quests because they're not worth my time at the moment.
3 Likes
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought I must be doing something wrong as I kept getting destroyed when I was doing fine in other parts of Ashenvale. I guess I'll just skip these quests until something is done.
1 Like
Other mobs in Ashenvale were manageable. The Night Elves near Astranaar were hitting decently hard but expected with the new stat scaling, and the change of combat pace that followed.

The Furbolgs were a shock to me.
1 Like
This is still very much an issue; at level 38 in full heirlooms I have 2,464 health and I took 3,144 damage total from Dal Bloodclaw with 2,238 being from coat of thistlefur. The normal mobs aren't as bad, but still deal around 1,300 typically.

These mobs are brutal because of the buff and the quest to kill 15 of them is incredibly tedious as pulling more than one at a time just isn't survivable if you're solo, and without knowing this ahead of time and not being prepared with food or bandages, waiting to heal up from ~40% health between pulls for classes without out of combat healing is frustrating.
1 Like
Yes I too recall them being over powered when I leveled my Maghar priest there. Each common furbolg hit like it was an elite.
1 Like
Definitely still an issue; my poor baby rogue's health is dropping between 30-40% health after every fight. Coat of Thistlefur is hitting me for 67 per hit and I think per tick of Rupture DoTs at level 45, despite the tool tip saying Coat inflicts 19-21 damage to melee attackers.
1 Like

Just chiming in to say I’m experiencing this too and it’s a bit frustrating. I’m not new, but I may as well be (back after over 10 years). Everything else feels faairly balanced, these guys just hit too hard.

1 Like

hmmm i just quested there with my hunter and even tho i didn’t die, i did notice my pet was taking waaaay too much dmg and even getting killed a few times. In comparison, i was able to kill the elite elementals in Ashenvale with my pet barely taking any damage.

2 Likes

It seems Blackrock Champions in Redridge Mountains are ridiculously overpowered as well.

Just one of them can wipe your NPC allies and basically almost insta-kill you.

Hopefully they fix some of this in 8.1.

They didn’t. Thistlefurs are still hitting very hard in Ashenvale. Dal Bloodclaw in particular, but all mobs are hitting way harder than the logs suggest.

1 Like

Alliance Laborers for the quest “Foes Before Hoes” also seem to be hitting much harder than they should, making it very rough to do on certain classes such as Mages. They’re almost instantly destroying Mage shields and Mirror Image copies, for instance.

The Thistlefur in Ashenvale have the ability “Coat of Thistlefur” which hits my char (Adyna on EU-Argent Dawn, lvl 45 Assassination Rogue) for 67-68 each time I hit them (both abilities and auto attacks). The tooltip claims it’s 22 or 23 per hit.

Picking off the Thistlefur solo for the quest “Between a Rock and a Thistlefur” to kill 15 Furbolg is doable (with resting/Crimson Vial after each fight), picking up the boxes in the cave for “Troll Charm” is doable with stealth/sap/some judicious fighting, but the quest “Freedom to Ruul” (which has you fighting some groups that spawn, as well as some Thistlefur that path into Ruul and adds because the Thistlefur tend to run) was impossible to finish.

Even switching to Outlaw (to hopefully mitigate some of the damage by going somewhat more ranged) helped a bit, but not much.

2 Likes

This still seems to be happening as of Aug 2019 with this Thistlefur. Went to do these quests as an assassination rogue, level 35 and could only take 1 at a time, even with Evasion active. I just abandoned the quests as it’s far too much of a hassle.

1 Like

Necroing this thread because it is still the case as of now. I have filed an in game bug report as well.

Kinda surprising and frustrating, given how most of the content before it is easily soloable…

3 Likes