Frustration with VElves and Nightborne

Maiev murdered mages and was given a total pass. How much of their magic culture would they have to give up to appease the NE that think they will just spawn another elisand?

Yeah well generally addicts trust their own when it comes to dealing with substance abuse. Only in this case the substance is also a critical element of their culture.

6 Likes

You’re fine, I was just explaining why I am so aggressive when talking about night elves. Drahliana saying they are not Matriarchal is like saying to me “The empowerment you find from playing this race is unfounded.” And Amadis saying he is fine with Kaldorei culture completely turning on it’s head for the frivolous promise of undead nelves, is also like saying to me “It’s okay for everything you like about this race to go away.”

So yeah, if people want to call me mean or trollish, I just unapologetically shrug.

But anyway, Nightborne seemed to me and my friends as an extendion of Nelf lore. But now they actively participated in War of Thorns… All because Blizzard wanted to give everyone a subrace except us. That’s a punch in the gut, which Night Elves get too often already.

Night Elves are Matriarchal, not man-hating. There is a difference, and in fact, Kaldorei men are passively reverent of women willingly due to religious belief.

2 Likes

Not any more than any other race. And even to the Alliance player, Tyrande flat out admits that the only reason she’s helpling them is to use them as cannon fodder againts the Legion to reduce Kal’dorei casualties. She’s not the one to be subtle enough to keep that attitude secret from the Nightborne.

I honestly don’t know what Malfurion or Illidan see in her. She’s a flat out shrew, certainly not worth the kind of rift that drives devoted brothers apart.

1 Like

Matriarchy isn’t girl power, it’s certainly not feminism. It’s what chauvnist men play with to objectify women in fetish stories. It’s what the Greeks invented in their out and out hatred of the female gender. (If a woman was caught in the first Olympics, she’d be thrown off the nearby cliffs)

Just because the Greeks used it that way doesn’t mean that’s what it is. Having a Matriarchal society depicting strong women in positions of power and authority can defiantly be attractive to feminists, and it should be no question as to why.

3 Likes

Now I wouldn’t say that either. I don’t think anything in what I described about liking the Night Elves stands opposed to the empowerment you get from the Night Elves.

Heck, I was the one that transcribed Terran Gregory’s interview and specifically noted his wanting to showcase the Night Elves’ matriarchal society as we had seen from Warcraft III that you have been happy to remind people of.

You don’t get to decide that.

The Matriarchal nature of the Night Elves is rooted in their religion. Your flippant desire for Undead Nelves, and the deconstruction of the nelves dedication to the Balance, deconstructs their faithfulness in Elune, and thus deconstructs their Matriarchal nature.

Great, it’s the same argument Lordaeron human fans had from vanilla but with Nightelves.
Thanks blizzard…

2 Likes

I can see that the Horde has allowed you to uphold your traditions–something that is very important to us.

The Horde embodies strength. Determination. Individuality. Traits we shal’dorei value as well.

If a faction suppresses your individuality or culture, Thalyssra thinks it is.

4 Likes

I certainly can’t decide what you interpret, no.

I can say, though, that I do not imagine that were Undead Night Elves added to the Alliance that Blizzard would write that the Night Elves as any less dedicated to Elune or their religion or balance, so I do not see Undead Night Elves deconstructing any of the things you listed.

Night Elves’ dedication to Balance means that undeath is the ultimate blasphemy. It is literally the worst thing that can happen from their perspective.

I do not believe that is necessarily the case, and even if it is, and they changed that so that they do not see undeath as blasphemy, the Night Elves would still be written over all to be entirely dedicated to Elune and Elunarian ways.

Given the Nightborne have such atrocious models, I’m not sure why the Alliance would want them. You may as well play a Night Elf Mage and pretend, it would look better.

9 Likes

When it comes to magic, yes, the Alliance is (was) restrictive.

Honestly the addition of Void Elves throws all kinds of wrenches into that line of thought, but from the standpoint of the Nightborne, they see the Horde allowing whatever while the Alliance are pretty particular on what magic can and can’t be used. While Suramar would’ve enjoy the same sovereignty of all Alliance nations, it would have ultimately been fairly isolated since the Night Elves wouldn’t have a fantastic view of their recent history.

Were the nightborne and pre-snake Azshara also part of matriarchal societies, or were their civilizations being led by women more of a coincidence or superficial version compared to the night elves when they started worshipping Elune?

Well, you are wrong.

You can’t change that, that’s rooted so deep in the lore. Bwonsamdi has spoken dialogue against it. Specifically BECAUSE it makes a mockery of life and disrupts the natural order.

The Elunarian way would be to preserve the balance and purge the undead.

I believe so because Elune was the center of their society then as well. Zin’Azshari was first named Elune’dris. It was believed that Elune slept at the bottom of the Well of Eternity, and that Elune taught the Kaldorei the Darnassian language.

It was only Azshara herself who started diverging away from Elune, only because she held herself on a higher pedestal, and thought of herself as a literal Goddess worthy of worship, made clear when she changed the name Elune’Dris (Eye of Elune) to Zin’Azshari (Glory of Azshara.)

In fact, Suramar was the birth place of the Sisterhood of Elune.

If Blizzard added Undead Night Elves, and Night Elves welcome them and still revered Elune, I would not be wrong.

I’m looking at Elune’s wowpedia page and I searched for:

1. Undea
  2. Dea
  3. Scourge

Elune doesn’t seem to have any stated canonical opinion on undead. Not that I want her to. Elune shouldn’t be so powerful that the Horde is by default wrong for not recognizing her.

5 Likes

You and Blizzard would be wrong together.

Yes she does.

Too late.

Would you point it out for me?

False. Xal’atath already stated she’s a false goddess, and Velen already stated she was a Naaru which Cdev doubled down on.

Elune, a naaru?

In the third round of Ask CDev, Blizzard remarked that “Velen has been a prophet of the naaru for many thousands of years, and it’s unlikely that he would propose such a theory without significant evidence and consideration.”[55]

1 Like