Frost or Fire for Leveling Mage?

Mobs shouldn’t have melee leeway =P The game isn’t coded for that as far as I know >.>

Absolutely. I only did fire till 30ish or so, after that I was in full frost when I was leveling. Those were fun levels though.

Oh I agree, but it doesn’t seem like it is something being addressed. The only word from Blizz so far related to melee leeway is “working as intended.” I think that was based on them perceiving it as a PVP check and not mobs. It is definitely a red flag for mages trying to aoe farm considering how beta was functioning.

I think it is people misconceiving a mob’s melee range as well as a player’s personal leeway for being mob leeway. Mob’s don’t have leeway.

Not sure it is simple perception though. Looking at vanilla mage farm videos comparing to how it played out in beta shows a big difference in range that mobs are hitting at. When you had them under chill effects or stuck in novas they weren’t hitting the player from these extreme distances.

Not sure how it was on pservers, since some people seem to be using that as a point of comparison. There is just some suspicious results in mob hit distance.

Mob Leeway and PvP leeway are 2 diff things. Mob leeway depends on the players ping to the server only, whereas PvP Leeway depends on player to server to players latency.

Here is an idea how PvP leeway worked in vanilla. The numbers could be off but the idea remains the same.

Appreciate the breakdown. I knew they were different at least.

The only way a mob should be attacking you from max leeway is if you have 200/300/400+ms.

You are going to be pissed when you show up somewhere with your AoE farming spec and can’t get more than 2 or 3 mobs every couple minutes or so because it is so crowded. I suggest going fire or frost with a little emphasis on AoE at least early on, you will be strong in AoE regardless with arcane explosion and cone of cold.

And in reality this isn’t leeway, its that the server hasn’t found out that you moved yet.

Which is what leeway was made for.

No, now you’re confusing lag and leeway.

Leeway is an intentional addition to the reach of a player to account for another player’s difference in latency.

Lag is you being slow to tell the server about your actions, because of latency.

Mobs don’t have extra reach the slower your latency is, they simply hit you when you’re in range, and then find out you are moving away from them. Since in contention calls, the server always wins, you appear to be hit from a longer range than you should. That’s called Lag.

Leeway allows someone suffering high latency to still hit another player even though the Server knows they’re out of range.

1 Like

Mob leeway is like my A = 0ms and B = 300ms situation.

Your post is all over the place…

Ppl are given leeway based on their latency.

Except that mobs don’t get an extra 2.6yds of reach. B just appears to get hit from out of range because they’re not talking fast enough.

Every1 on the forums is acting like they do. They are saying that mobs are attacking them from afar as if they had high ping which should not happen unless you have high ping. So they call it Mob leeway.

“Every1” usually relies on misinformation and second hand accounts that get garbled. I haven’t been seeing anyone get hit from excessive range by mobs without yellow latency, on streams etc.

1 Like

Even though it isn’t obviously. MS can change pretty quickly as well. So perhaps there could be an issue with the servers compared to the client in use. Obviously this is just speculation though.

There have been ninja hot fixes over the past month so mob leeway shouldn’t be as noticeable now.

It requires a special eye to see what the fuss is about. Like jet pilot eyes but for gaming.

2 Likes

If they’re ninja hotfixes, how do you know they happened, and what they were?