Frost DK Needs a Rework

Especially since BoS doesn’t even use shattering or razorice.

The only time frost strike feels ok to press is during Obliteration and that’s only because it procs KM. And if you are using Obliteration, you’re probably not DW anyway😕.

For being a core ability, FS feels rather niche

I know it’s very unorthodox, but I’ve really been enjoying this build that gives me both Obliteration and Breath:

BsPAdLUHklrTr3hBIcYWdbnCGHCAJkkQSJRgISSIkIJRERAhcggkkkkkkSSAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Like you guys I got tired of having a lot of downtime between CDs. This build fixes that problem for me. I always have either Breath or Pillar ready to do some big damage. It may not be as bursty as a pure-Obliteration or pure-Breath build, but the sustain seems to be a lot smoother.

Yeah. I totally get that. Same reason i take chillstreak instead of big dragon.

Then dont use Frost Strike… If you have to use it then its not useless.

Not everything is going to hit like a fully loaded dump truck drove through your house at 100mph with no brakes.

So it really comes down to 2 RP spenders. Frost Strike or BoS. Frost Strike has a lot of things that it does. Runic Empowerment, lowering CD of Pillar through crits with Icecap, crits have a chance at providing KM procs, giving KM procs within Obliteration, applying Icy Talons and Unleashed Frenzy and Shattering Strikes if you take it. Thats quite a lot.

BoS doesnt do all that, it gives damage, RE, Unleased Frenzy and Icy Talons… Frost Strike has to cover more stuff. Want the ability damage to go up then some of the stuff has to get the axe.

I like this a lot. This would improve the playability of the spec.

1 Like

Thematically I think the Frost spec is perfect outside of minor adjustments. The REAL problem is not that Frost needs to be re-worked, but rather that entire specialization has been built around Breath of Sindragosa for 4 expansions in a row now.

Why would you try to make a single target Obliteration build when Breath of Sindragosa doubles as the highest AE damage and highest single target damage? That’s the real problem.
__

I would argue that they should either just remove the ability from the game and replace it with something else or redesign it entirely.

and how would I do that you ask? Simply by turning it into a one-time AE RP dump that consumes all your runic power. I’ve been asking a for a real runic power dump for Frost for forever now and I think that’s one way they could go about it.

I also heavily agree with this. Frost has way too many filler talents that have no place being in the tree. For example, MOTFW should just be baseline if you’re going to be a 2H player NO EXCEPTIONS.

• Delete Frostsythe once and for all and just let Frost Strike cleave again.
  • Horn of Winter needs to be removed from the GCD
  • Delete Glacial Advance

Lastly, please BRING BACK PRECENSES!

4 Likes

Here you go I write a error post about that bug. That’s true when I consume Km sometimes don’t get the proc of bone grinder… And I still thinking that bonegrinder is to much RNG… You have 10 seconds to consume another KM for 6 times to get a buff for just 10 seconds, the buff of bonegrinder should last 20-30 second

there’s no synergy there.

Well said, I think the crux of the problem is that BOS is the best for everything outside of PVP I guess.

1 Like

make it instant kill under 35% hp dk sucks in every other area so that works

Funny thing is that these “hard” Obliterate hits in Shadowlands was just a straight up increase for Frost damage throughput.

They sacrificed nothing to gain these “hard” hits, pre SL the only ability that did any damage was Breath of Sindragosa.

1 Like

i mean except for a talent node

Yes, they actually did. It brought a nerf to Obliterate so the floor of the ability fell to the basement.

I finally got a death knight to max level after all these years. I am not responsible for any of this. All I have to say is both Frost and Unholy feel terrible. I do not use breath btw, I find it boring.

1 Like

Except for damage literally anywhere else in the kit outside of Pillar, Breath, and KM procs, which is clearly obvious given the spec has been hard carried by BoS 2 expansions in a row now to do actual, viable damage. If nothing was sacrificed, Obliteration would’ve been a viable build in Shadowlands, but it wasn’t, and that’s carried through to Dragonflight now.

The feedback from the end of Legion was that Obliterate felt weak to hit and should be more like Howling Blast & Frost Strike, which hit hard. But you can’t create a class that just spams the same 2 abilities in a cadence with both hitting hard, so this is the solution that was created: everything hits weak, except Obliterate’s during KMs.

There’s plenty of better mechanics they could’ve brought over to Frost like:

• Overpower buffing: Frost Strikes/Rimes makes the next Obliterate deal extra Frost damage
  • Mongoose Fury: Each Obliterate makes subsequent Obliterates hit harder
  • Judgment debuff: Remorseless Winter makes Obliterates do extra Frost damage for X seconds
  • Legacy of the Frost Witch: Consuming X amount of RP makes your next Obliterate do Y% Frost damage

And those are just a few that’d accomplish the same feedback goal (ie: Making Obliterate hit harder), without that goal being locked behind RNG, and allow the spec to deal actual damage outside of CDs, because the idea that “all specs dont do damage outside of CDs” is a statement used to dismiss actual design problems.

Yes, the game is designed around doing damage inside of CDs, but Frost DK is one of the few specs that requires CDs to do any damage, and part of that is because of the Frostreaper-KM interaction. Arms, Fury, Ret, Havoc, even Survival, just to name a few, are all melee DPS that do great damage in their main CD, but once that’s off, there’s still a working, cohesive gameplan in the kit to do moderate damage. Frost doesn’t have that luxury, and that is the most obvious sacrifice to allow KM to go from 10k~ physical to 60k~ Frost damage during KM procs, and making Obliterate do 100% Frost damage baseline would just result in it being nerfed down to do 8k~ Frost damage baseline, since you’d be benefiting from Razorice and Bonegrinder’s consumption proc 100% of the time instead of just 60% or whatever the current amount is.

In BFA maybe, and I wasn’t playing Frost so I can’t comment for that expansion, but Legion? Far from it. Howling Blast, Obliterate, Frost Strike - all did good damage.

1 Like

I will say as stupid as corruption gear was, the fact that it let Frost be viable with Pillar having so much uptime was a blast.

Tried Frost DK today. Unleashed Frenzy feels soooo bad at 6 seconds. My GCD atm (its a level 50 old alt, but still) is 1.42 seconds. So 5.72 seconds of that 6 seconds are taken up by GCDs, leaving me with 0.28 seconds of thinking time per 4 GCD rotation… 0.07 seconds to think & press the correct button. Maybe this will improve with Haste as I level?

2 Likes

honestly i hope they remove it, replace it with frost reaper and make a new talent in frost reaper’s place that isn’t a waste of everyone’s time.

It does improve heavily at 70. It’s generally only problematic for Obliteration Frost since BoS keeps it up entirely passively if you’re playing properly.

Im sorry but fury warrior has 2 skills that always hit hard and are on short cd… Also sorry that DH only has to press eye beam after metamorph to get top charts in single target now… OH AND I FORGOT… Hunter has aim/steady shot that hit like trucks.

Bring frost back in line and have heavy hitting spells… Update our death and decay to allow for 4 target cleave with frost strike and obliterate even as well.

1 Like