Frost DK Needs a Rework

If someone wants to give me a late Christmas present, I’d love to see an edited video of Office Space where theyre breaking the copy machine and have the Breath Icon over the copier.

3 Likes

Now I remember why I have you on ignore. I made a mistake of trying to see what you had to say.

/facepalm

Pretty sad that you just ignore people you disagree with, but to be expected from someone that thinks “Make Obliterate always do Frost damage” would be a good design.

That is great to hear. Mythic+ is the only end game I can do these days and 2h Obliteration is my favorite frost DK build.

Because it’s okay to overcap on it. Frost strike doesn’t do that much.

Sounds like a first step for the obliteration spec would be buffing frost strike then.

Improved frost strike talent could modified as follows:

Improved Frost Strike 0/2
Increase the damage of frost strike by 10/20%. Also spends up to 10/20 aditional runic power and increases its damage 50/100%.

Now the obliteration build is more competitive in single target with the breath build and uses up the excess runic power to do so.

Next step would be letting killing machine stack to 2 or 3 charges to make it more forgiving.

4 Likes

So? Ive never really seen people complain about having too many resources Unless Frost Strike would be doing more than Rime or Obliterate you arent going to be pressing it in Obliteration windows if the others come up. Just stick with the priority, worry about doing the damage instead of “omg I cant believe I was able to overcap on RP again” that means you have more than enough runes and Rime procs at that point.

I dont see the problem.

The problem is you don’t want to press it outside of Obliteration windows either. It feels bad to press and it does about the same damage as Obliterate, but Obliterate actually has synergies throughout most of the kit and tree while Frost Strike is just locked to itself.

RP feels bad to spend in general outside of GA and BoS and is essentially the same as the few weeks on beta where Fury’s Rampage wasn’t worth the rage cost & GCD and it was better to press anything else or even skip the talent.

2 Likes

Killing Machine does indeed need to stack at minimum at least twice, that is a must. 3 might be excessive

5 Likes

Frost Strike has synergies as well. Cold Blooded Rage, Shattering Strikes, Icy Talons, Unleashed Frenzy, Icecap, Obliteration.

Is this just a 2h thing? I still dont get the problem.

CBR is garbage. Talons and Frenzy are passively kept up and that’s not a synergy since it’s any RP spender. Shattering Blade is the only real synergistic talent in the Frost tree that actively encourages you to prioritize FS over other abilities. There’s 0 incentive - for DW and 2h Obliterate - to cast FS when just about every rune spender is far, far better.

And that’s the issue, because BoS gets to passively spend the RP and allow you to continue spending runes while Obliteration has to actively spend the RP on abilities that feel worthless to press and don’t actively contribute for what you want to achieve as Obliteration.

• GA AoEs and applies Razorice but you really want to cleave KMs with DND, and GA won’t win out until 9~ targets if you’re cleaving KMs.
  • FS is ST but doesn’t win out against any form of cleave/AoE for Obliteration, and you don’t care for Shattering Blade in AoE/cleave.

Yes, you’re spending RP with Obliteration, but it’s akin to pressing Whirlwind in ST because all your other fury generators are on CD. You really don’t want to, but you have to. Outside of that, the RP spending buffs aren’t “synergy”, they’re maintenance buffs and it’s easy to throw or a FS or GA when you don’t have a KM proc, but you 99% of the time let them drop if your choice is “keep up the buff or use a KM”.

4 Likes

Especially since BoS doesn’t even use shattering or razorice.

The only time frost strike feels ok to press is during Obliteration and that’s only because it procs KM. And if you are using Obliteration, you’re probably not DW anyway😕.

For being a core ability, FS feels rather niche

I know it’s very unorthodox, but I’ve really been enjoying this build that gives me both Obliteration and Breath:

BsPAdLUHklrTr3hBIcYWdbnCGHCAJkkQSJRgISSIkIJRERAhcggkkkkkkSSAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Like you guys I got tired of having a lot of downtime between CDs. This build fixes that problem for me. I always have either Breath or Pillar ready to do some big damage. It may not be as bursty as a pure-Obliteration or pure-Breath build, but the sustain seems to be a lot smoother.

Yeah. I totally get that. Same reason i take chillstreak instead of big dragon.

Then dont use Frost Strike… If you have to use it then its not useless.

Not everything is going to hit like a fully loaded dump truck drove through your house at 100mph with no brakes.

So it really comes down to 2 RP spenders. Frost Strike or BoS. Frost Strike has a lot of things that it does. Runic Empowerment, lowering CD of Pillar through crits with Icecap, crits have a chance at providing KM procs, giving KM procs within Obliteration, applying Icy Talons and Unleashed Frenzy and Shattering Strikes if you take it. Thats quite a lot.

BoS doesnt do all that, it gives damage, RE, Unleased Frenzy and Icy Talons… Frost Strike has to cover more stuff. Want the ability damage to go up then some of the stuff has to get the axe.

I like this a lot. This would improve the playability of the spec.

1 Like

Thematically I think the Frost spec is perfect outside of minor adjustments. The REAL problem is not that Frost needs to be re-worked, but rather that entire specialization has been built around Breath of Sindragosa for 4 expansions in a row now.

Why would you try to make a single target Obliteration build when Breath of Sindragosa doubles as the highest AE damage and highest single target damage? That’s the real problem.
__

I would argue that they should either just remove the ability from the game and replace it with something else or redesign it entirely.

and how would I do that you ask? Simply by turning it into a one-time AE RP dump that consumes all your runic power. I’ve been asking a for a real runic power dump for Frost for forever now and I think that’s one way they could go about it.

I also heavily agree with this. Frost has way too many filler talents that have no place being in the tree. For example, MOTFW should just be baseline if you’re going to be a 2H player NO EXCEPTIONS.

• Delete Frostsythe once and for all and just let Frost Strike cleave again.
  • Horn of Winter needs to be removed from the GCD
  • Delete Glacial Advance

Lastly, please BRING BACK PRECENSES!

4 Likes

Here you go I write a error post about that bug. That’s true when I consume Km sometimes don’t get the proc of bone grinder… And I still thinking that bonegrinder is to much RNG… You have 10 seconds to consume another KM for 6 times to get a buff for just 10 seconds, the buff of bonegrinder should last 20-30 second

there’s no synergy there.

Well said, I think the crux of the problem is that BOS is the best for everything outside of PVP I guess.

1 Like