FRESH-ISH: One man's attempt to reignite Grobbulus

That’s pretty much where I am. I’ll log in and then logoff shortly thereafter. Maybe I’ll just unsub and get into Starfield or finally finish Odyssey till they open a fresh.

you can easily fake a fresh server with an addon community that commits to only interacting with each other. kind of like the HC addon but without the HC :expressionless:

Not all fiscal years are the same. A lot of governments (including the US Federal and most states) use Oct-Sep fiscal years, but companies are all over the place. Businesses tend to end their fiscal year after the highest income period. For example, retailers are usually after the holidays (Target is Feb-Jan). Activision Blizzard aligns with the calendar year, so Q1 2024 isn’t until January.

1 Like

Be pretty cool if I/we/someone could get that dev to make a “Fresh” addon.

That’s a damn good idea. Sorta? Maybe?
It would be a real shame to fill the home of the Grobb Mob with people who aren’t down with grobbing and mobbing.

People fought hard to get a RP-PVP server at launch(it wasn’t planned).
And people are slowly coming back to Grobbulus already. As you said raiding is active.

The fact it has a small dedicated population already could be a bonus.
Not like keeping 60s/raiding off entirely could have been policed anyway.

But ideally people would respect the tag and a lot did not with HC on Bloodsail which was sad to hear but not surprising.

Between Grobb becoming the next big bandwagon for every dopamine addicted raid spammer and staying a quiet refuge.
I’d keep the quiet refuge.

4 Likes

How many raids are running on Grob atm?

I’;ve learned over the course of over a decade … nothing will be done by a human hand to solve in game the problems that have plagued wow for years and slowly rotting it. I’m just chilling messing around until a new mmo comes out thats worth my time. Currently i dont even pay my sub its farmed /shrug.

I dont think ill ever play classic but good luck my dude. You are passionate about it and im happy for you. Hope it works

Had some time to come back to this thread.

It would be cool if this server took off, and people at least respected other people who like the server type for what it is supposed to be. RP-PVP can be very fun, don’t knock it until you spend your evenings in epic battles to control Blackrock Mountain for no particular reason. Would love for there to be enough people to make it happen.

2 Likes

Indeed, my warrior Alchemist had to drop Herbalism in order for us to have a Blacksmith capable of making the enchanting rods for the guild. It was rough for a while, but eventually this druid took over the Flower-Picking. Looking back, I’m glad I made the change since I enjoy open-world play so much more with my druid than my warrior. He’s now an Amorsmith/Alchemist with all Flasks & the Lionheart Helm plans so he’ll always have a way to help our small, backwater community!

1 Like

This dream will likely be a meme.

One guy showed up in the discord though so that’s cool. Just need about 3000 more.

1 Like

I mean it would be worth it to go back if we could get our RP folks back. Maybe that’s what is already happening. I might have to return just based on that alone.

The fights over blackrock mountain and SS/TM was blazing. One of the best things about the RPpvp servers is folks would switch to keep it balanced, and promote activities.

Not to mention, it was really cool RPing a NE that hated Orcs and defended Ashenvale. Undead? poor folks. Tauren? kind of cool. Same with Trolls. But are you an Orc? YOU DIED! because you slaughtered my family.

I will admit fully that I do not RP, but when I arrived on Grobbulus in Classic vanilla, I knew there was something great there, and that even though I don’t have RP in my body, I could still be quiet and exist among whatever crowd was forming.

I don’t think anyone ever looked at me and thought “He’s out of place”

If anything I was just a bystander. I don’t know why I ever left Grob. I guess because of a loyalty to friends that ended up being betrayed, and a desire to not play without those friends.

1 Like

You’re really missing out if you dont RP. Just use your imagination and come up with a backstory that supports your playstyle.
In a really weird way it gives purpose to simply playing the game.

I would go hunting Orc. It gave purpose to playing the game other than loot.

Try it! It makes the experience 1000x more enjoyable

1 Like

50%+ of the population of RPers are silent RPers anyway.
They have their character stories and rarely does anyone else need to know about them.
And arguably most of the population of RP servers don’t consider themselves RPers.
They come to RP tagged servers to get away from some aspects of the other servers.
The tag is a filter.

Being on a RP server is more about not being anti immersion.
Names/behavior etc.

Idea is to treat the game as another world full of the characters in game
rather than me sitting here eating Cheetos playing with those guys over there eating Cheetos.

There is a balance to be had there of course.
Raids/PVP in Voicechat can be a hilarious mix.

1 Like

I’m super ready for SOM2 but it really does appear to be forever away. Probably deep into 2024 once Wrath is “done”. Hardcore is fun (I’m 42!) but it’s not what most of us are really after.

The problem with trying to organize your own “fresh” or “reroll” event is that in Classic, the time commitments are so extreme. 30% of the players in your Discord will make characters, 30% of those people will get past level 20 and maybe 30% of THOSE people will get past level 40. If you recruit 500 people into your Discord I’d suspect 8-10 would ever even get past the halfway point of leveling. It’s just not something I want to pour a hundred hours into.

We need an actual fresh. An official one.

I would also like to add, there is a thriving alliance guild, Legacy, on Grobbulus today. We haven’t left since the “rapture” when all our friends marched through that cursed dark portal.

We are currently looking for new heroes to join us as we battle in Naxxramas.

While the server may appear dead on the outside, Legacy has maintained a thriving, tight knit community for the last two years on Grobbulus.

I welcome all adventurers, fresh or old, to join us.

Yours in Battle,

Jarl

PS. There ain’t no GDKP here, good riddance. we do have geared and ungeared folks transfer to join us, and while there’s a few bots, who primarily farm here then xfer to Whitemane, they don’t impact our server. Given Legacy is a fully self sufficient community, I don’t see this changing anytime soon. I’m excited about the prospect of new fresh heroes joining the server. Only good things!

2 Likes

I’ve thought about doing this as well. However there’s no point to restart at this point. If this were back in May, yeah it would work. But we’re 4 or so months from fresh now

FRESH stops being fresh in 3 weeks anyways

You can have multiple FRESH experiences between now and then!

1 Like

Fresh what?
Fresh TBC? Fresh SoM v2?
Can’t say for sure or that it’s even likely fresh classic : /

1 Like