Free Character Moves Started Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. PDT

Agreed. I think they are trying to head this off at the pass. A smart move by Blizzard. People will be complaining when they remove layering when the queues come back. Plus, they said they would remove layering prior to phase 2, so they could be getting prepared now.

1 Like

Westfall to Windseeker. My two toons names are taken on Windseeker and they are good names that I really like. No thanks, I’ll stay on Westfall.

rattlegore is the example of a perfect realm.

high pop and no queue.

Pagles queues arent too bad anymore, but i recently found out that it has a disgusting imbalance towards alliance (something like 2.5 alliance to 1 horde player). I’ve been thinking of transferring but my only option is windseeker which seems pretty much dead.

some MVP lol

2 Likes

What they really needed to do was open up more servers than the initial 12 we got? Servers started popping up left and right on launch and screwed alot of ppl that were already on full servers because it was too late to be like “oh lets move to this new servers” Stalagg had a 22k que on launch, i didnt get into the game until Thursday of that week.

I’m surprised they’re offering free transfers off rattlegore. I haven’t hit a queue in over a week on rattlegore.

The “world” was designed to accommodate a certain number of people back then. Everything from mob density to zone sizing was designed with that number in mind. Now, 15 years later, the servers are able to handle a lot more concurrent players at once but the zones are still designed for the old population. That’s where layering is used. Let’s say for example that tirisfal glades was designed to have around 150 players in it at any one time on a server that can hold 2000 players overall. If you increase the overall population capacity, inevitably you will cross that 150 players per zone mark. Every time that mark is crossed, a new layer is created. The layers are not used to increase the overall server population, they are used to compartmentalize player “clusters” within each zones so that they are still being used as they were originally intended.

In short, without the layers the server queues would’ve still been the same at launch. The only difference is that instead of having 150 undead running around in tirisfal, you would’ve had 5000 in the same instance of the zone. That’s why they can confidently say that layers will be gone by phase 2. Simply because they know that the population will be a lot more spread out over all the zones.

2 Likes

Level 22 here and not making very fast progress. Some people have a bit more time to speed level to 60. Or even 40…

2 Likes

Or you could ask that more people transfer so that you will actually have other people to play with once they have moved over. :wink:

2 Likes

I think they’re planning on crunching layers down. If that’s the case, queues will start happening. This might be a preemptive move for Blizz, to fix the “too low” pop realms at the same time as fulfilling their promise on reducing layers down to 1

1 Like

it doesnt seem like people are moving

If only there were a way to get more people on your realm…

Hmm…

:thinking:

7 Likes

I dont think the transfers start for a few hours

Some mvp supporting the death of low pop servers.

2 Likes

I resubbed after being gone since 2008 just to reserve some names on Skeram, which aren’t available on Earthfury. I’ll deal with the evening queue, not moving.

The only low pop servers are those transfer servers which are completely unappealing to players on established servers and players who want a fresh start

All names taken. Even the most obscure ones. No thanks

1 Like

Very nice!

Don’t let all the trolls get you down, Blizzard: As per usual, you are victims of your own Classic success. There are worse places to be.

Best of luck to all who transfer, but it’s Earthfury for the win! (I already got the heck off Skeram.) Earthfury has awesome players, lots of guilds recruiting, great AH prices, plus it’s a very welcoming server, and the population is going up all the time.

Goooooooooo Earthfury! :rocket:

But most of all, c’mon, players, you know you hate those queues. You could have quested/crafted/killed way more players by now if you weren’t stuck in queues.

What will you do otherwise once layering comes off-- implode altogether?

Just transfer. You know you want to.

3 Likes

I highly doubt “all” names are taken. Imagination goes a long way!

1 Like