Forum System needs change: Forum ID system

So much of the thread was a mess it was not going to be worth the time to sort the few gems of posts out of the trash. There would have been almost nothing left. It was best off as a “do over”.

1 Like

Okay. Well. I wasn’t around to see how bad that thread was getting. Maybe that is a good thing.

Should just get rid of both of the posters in question since they tend to derail every thread they get into with their constant spam-fests of insults and bickering

4 Likes

Back on topic, any further thoughts on my response/clarifications to you?

I think MVP as a concept could use a re-work to allow “official intermediaries” between Players and Devs (that isn’t Content Creators).

1 Like

I don’t think that is the case. Blizz has lots of support groups of all sorts. Vets, women, LGBT+, PoC, etc. They have accessibility and diversity panels even. Maybe that was done at Activision or the stock holding company Activision-Blizzard? Now, not saying that having those groups always gets the desired results, but I know Blizz at least had them the last times I was there within the past 6 years.

Eh, no. They don’t include the Forum MVPs in that stuff usually, but they can when they want. In 2018 there was an MVP summit at Blizzard where the MVPs got to talk to various developers, quest designers, etc. They don’t have a standard channel to the Devs though - MVPs talk to the CMs.

Your Battletag does not get you harassed in game. That is why every other forum uses it. The forum software is set up by DEFAULT to have Trust level, likes, flags, and ignore at the Btag level. They had to have it changed for WoW to make an exception allowing it to be by char instead. Just go with the path of least resistance and do what is already programmed. Make this forum like the other Blizzard forums. If people don’t want their alts known, don’t switch to your secret alt and post with it.

That is the job that Community Managers are supposed to be doing. I mean, MVPs can relay things to the CMs. It is the job of the CMs though to put together that feedback for the Devs. From the MVPs, forums, reddit, third party sites, streamers, etc. They take info from many sources for the reports they put together. There is a weekly, along with any targeted feedback they are tasked with - like if they are asked to focus on feedback about Z game mechanic.

3 Likes

It was the case, it’s been stated by multiple devs, current and former, repeatedly.

The “No LGBTQ Guild Allowed” thing was a few years ago too, and since changed.

But neither incident should’ve happened.

I mean that works too. I’m saying the entire system of MVP shouldn’t be limited to the Forums, but rather the whole system should be overhauled and expanded.

Hmm true cuz you need to accept the friend request for them to see what you’re playing and whatnot.

Sold, Battletag works :stuck_out_tongue:

Reason why I was thinking of a Forum ID system is that each player can have a “WoW Forum Profile”, so players can use (or not) if they so desire.

e.g. maybe a player is a role player and wants to show it off

or maybe the profile can add little “flags” for achievements you can add if you want

or you designate which of your characters is your “main”

Minor social media component.

Yes, they are fishers.

I’m suggesting revamping the system such that the fish can also speak and talk to the fishermen, as working groups for specific topics.

e.g. I don’t know jack about PVE or PVP, but “warlock fantasy” and I’m your guy, and I’ve put a lot of effort into that for the community for many years going back to when we were asking for Green Fire, and most recently for Warlock Pet Customization

I assume you for example were designated as an MVP for a specific reason, some part of the game, that you could be used for consulting for the CMs for specific feedback.

A talking fish, in the metaphor.

It actually just got updated too:

6 Likes

Nice adding to OP

Don’t assume they can’t. There ARE working groups or focus groups about things and the Devs draw from whomever they think is best suited, no matter the role they currently play. If they wanted an MVP to participate, they would ask. If they want someone who is on the Method raid team, they will just ask.

It is just not part of the general role of an MVP to have a line to the Devs. Does not mean Devs can’t include one of them in something if it would be helpful though.

For example, while I did not talk to the Website team, I have had chances since about 2016 to give feedback about forums to the Community team. Esp after the new software launched. This is kind of my thing so that is where I have the most useful input.

1 Like

Then there should be more transparency imo.

Why not have some MVPs that are appointed via applications while others are democratically selected by the community (as chaotic as that may be).

The MVP system can and needs to be revived and needs to be reworked to be more active imo.

As a salient immediate example: The fact that ignore being Trust tied went under their radar for so long, or the holes in the system for in-game ignores that allowed players to bypass it, when it was common knowledge to the whole playerbase and regularly talked about on social media or the forums, is very confusing to me.

As you said, no new MVPs were granted since 2018. And now more than ever there needs to be TWO WAY communication between devs and players via intermediaries, and CMs and MVPs (with some adjustments) would serve as that bridge.

Looks like censorship to me.

There is also the fact from a recent CS thread that the mods think that forum ignore will ignore someone account wide when it wasn’t the case.

2 Likes

You may get people that get a group of friends to vote in an MVP though.

We don’t need more layers. And even using “Forum ID” makes people think of Real ID which was a BAD idea. Nobody wants a real name ever.

Battletag exists already. Is used on ALL the other Blizzard forums already. Is how the software is designed to work. It is already our non-private nickname for use as a gamertag.

I would just let people pick posting avatar chars but then append the Btag to the post like we have a guild and other info.

Solves the alt hopping, using multi chars to flag/like, and gives us Bnet wide ignore.

I am green on the Diablo forums too and you would think if someone was going to get harassed in game I would. Never do though. I just don’t accept friend requests from anyone I don’t have some sort of acquaintance with. Then, even if I did, because it is on the Bnet app all chat is monitored by Blizzard and can be reported if someone tried to harass me.

We mostly just need the Btag and a comment field on reports. Those two things would solve 90% of the issues with the WoW forums system and bring it in line with the other Blizz forums.

4 Likes

I mean final decision is on the CMs, but players adding votes adds an element of player choice.

Lmao what plz link there’s no way

one more thing…

if I mute someone on GD, I would prefer not to see their posts on the main page.

I would like to simply forget they exist.

I use global ignore in game and it makes the game so much more relaxing.

2 Likes

That is not supported on any of the forums with the Discourse software. It still shows that there was a post from someone you ignored.

BUT it can be resolved with browser addons. I am not exactly sure how to do this with WoW vs D3. I think you use Character-server where the D3 forums use btag-number.

1 Like

granted, but trolls use clickbait and its a minor irritation to load up and see

" ignored content "