Forum changes - do we need a forum wipe?

Pot, meet kettle.

Ouch. :dracthyr_lulmao:

1 Like

Wiping posts isn’t really a biggie. Wiping trust level would be.

Btags aren’t personally identifying information, unless you used your real name, and you can change that.

7 Likes

Just like how a list of your wow characters isn’t personal information, unless one of them is your real name, which is user error.

9 Likes

There would have to be some changes with a wipe.

I think it would bring about some community good will by resetting everything though at the same time there are still going to be some bad apples.

1 Like

Oh, they’d still report.
Dislikes would just be a flag for the others in the thread on who to dog-pile.

I welcome the forumpacolypse

3 Likes

Mildly inconvenient at worst.
If they wanna purge the forums they can purge the forums, but it won’t stop trolling unless there is a means of stopping trolling to coincide with the purge.

Something like account wide ignores, a battle tag / forum ID system, or any of the bazillion existing threads that all include this exact same topic.

2 Likes

this thread wasn’t about account wide ignores or btags

I prefer ‘skill issue’.
The former provides a plausible degree of accidental ignorance. The latter is more akin to a malicious intellect debt.

Hear me out.

Why would I name my character after my real name or street address, then post on the forums with that, and then have the audacity to complain about forum privacy?

Most of the forum wipes we’ve seen have been pretty significant events. Developer changes for example. Since discourse is the current… any changes incoming, will be as a result of them to some extent.

The next expansion is likely to be the major event. Could go either way.

There is a bit of George Carlin that I’d love to be able to link right about now.

3 Likes

I miss having pages.

Lately the biggest forum issue is that whenever I view a new thread, it puts me at the very bottom and I have to scroll up. Like Teen ESRB bottom.

I’ve gotten in the habit of reading from last to first, not first to last. It’s not earth shattering, but I’ve adapted

:dragon: :ocean: :dragon: :ocean:

3 Likes

Eck, I hated pages. I’d sift through so many pages just to read through the content. And when I was fishing for likes, I’d deliberately wait for other people to reply so that my post would end up at the very top of the next page.

My problem is that it fast fast fast scrolls to the bottom. Incorrectly loads pages and images.

And the like system is different than before. I cannot view total likes as before. Plus, I’ll get like notifications that are old, redundant or none at all unless I revisit the thread.

1 Like

Yeah those are a lil bit frustrating. One disadvantage is when I’m out of data so the forum just stops loading intermittently and I can’t read any new post without reconnecting to the wifi. Whereas if I was theoretically still using the old system, it would presumably just pre-load the whole page once I click it.

1 Like

Yeah something about pages stored them safely as offline cookies that I could view.

Especially helpful for figuring out what happened to 404s. Often suddenly and not always regrettably OPs fault.

The sorting needs to be better. Who knows. I’m sure we’re lowest on priority features

1 Like

Oh that’s my favorite part. When you visit am extra spicy thread and you can see like 12 people on the very bottom trying to type a message as it’s pending while the mod already nuked it so everyone’s reply just gets sent to the cyber void.

Then you hit refresh and it’s just gone.

2 Likes

While I don’t miss trolls per se and understand the importance of having a quality environment… it was truly exciting to see one of the known trolls make some post that would trigger the entire playerbase

The messages were dropping faster than a Twitch stream. And the popcorn gifs!

Usually, now when I see the avatars typing…I’m already planning for the thread to disappear

Oh yeah I miss those!

The forums get wild sometimes. I feel for the mods who have to babysit us like we’re helpless children always misbehaving, but I hope they have had at least a few experiences where they joined in and grabbed a hand full of popcorn themselves

4 Likes