Forsaken retake Undercity, Gilneans retake Gilneas, and Night Elves... get exiled from their homeland

It was a genuine question, I haven’t finished the patch content yet. If the dialog is voice acted, it most likely wasn’t changed recently. And if it was a cinematic, it’s even less likely. Quest text is different

The most blatant examples of it were voice acted yes. Mithaelar i think linked some others that were just the right click-text (Not even quest text, just the interaction text iirc)

I will say that whether or not something is voice acted doesn’t make it neccessarily true if the subtitles or text box says otherwise.

Also I have a six year old laptop and sometimes my sound will lag far behind what the text box says for a delay and will skip behind. So I go with what’s on the screen not what they’re saying vocally.

I think it’s just what the writer pushes more that should be considered true in the moment, not based on if your audio hardware works or not lol.

I’m just pointing out that the subtitles are going to be more reliable versus the voice acting in of itself.

2 Likes

Mainly the people that want to play as one.

2 Likes

My bad lol thats pretty fair.

You are right. Now that we know it’s a small village, how many people would you estimate live there? I’m curious to know what population you think is remaining in Kalimdor if many of them are going to Amirdrassil, so if you can provide some pointers to major population centers and relative numbers of folks staying there, that would be helpful.

Ashenvale, Hyjal, and Moonglade were able to sustain a large portion of the Night Elf population prior to Teldrassil’s existence, so it doesn’t seem like a stretch to claim that a post-war and post-Amirdrassil population would have plenty of room to live there, no?

This is always a problem when we begin trying to estimate population numbers. which is that the Azeroth we know about is the size of a small asteroid and from a lore perspective we would imagine these areas being much larger. Same issue exists for Eastern Kingdoms / Southern Kalimdor / Etc. Are there small miscellaneous settlements spread throughout these zones that we don’t know about? Or is Azeroth really that tiny? Considering that the NPC volume is larger than what could actually fit in these zones, I always assumed it was implied that there are spread-out, smaller populations that we just don’t see.

And I recognize that what I posted is mostly speculation, but it is something to think about.

2 Likes

Yes, and prior to Felwood becoming corrupted, Hyjal literally exploding, the Horde encroaching into Ashenvale (pre 4th War) and then the Horde slaughtering most of the population even as they pushed to Teldrassil and then finishing the job at Teldrassil.

Where do you think those populations ended up Post-3, Pre-4? Probably Ashenvale or Darnassus. What happened when the Horde pushed into Ashenvale in 4? They killed the civilian population of Astranaar and probably any other settlement they came across. Those who survived fled to Darnassus. What happened when the Horde burned down Teldrassil?

Where I’m going with this is that the remaining Night Elf population is a fraction of a fraction of what is once was and that most of the population was on Darnassus (as a result of the Horde’s incursions into Ashenvale) when Teldrassil was burned down. If the refugees from Teldrassil are going to Amirdrassil, and most of the population was in Teldrassil at the time, that means… Most of the population is going to Amirdrassil. Any who remain in Kalimdor are basically just a skeleton crew.

1 Like

Yes, we must assume that any population of Night Elves is going to be reduced due to their losses in the war and the creation of Amirdrassil. At least until Blizzard gives them the Blood Elf treatment.

Not to give a cop out answer but it is really hard to say. Before Teldrassil, the Kaldorei seem the sort to prefer scattering themselves across the forest in many small villages rather than centralize in a big city that could throw off the ecological balance of the region. Killing off a large portion of a population which is diffused is a hard trick to pull off. The Horde for sure decimated the population of Astranaar due to its strategic location, But Saurfang did not support his troops wanton slaughtering for fun so it is not as likely unimportant villages who did not fight would of suffered the same fate. A lot of people surely would of fled the oncoming forces.

1 Like

The Darkspear tribe is indigenous to Stranglethorn Vale. They were kicked out of the Vale and exiled to some random islands in the middle of the sea, which then sank, and they migrated to the Echo Isles to survive. The islands that they “Got back” have only hosted them for a few years.

5 Likes

Not to mention the poor Farraki trolls like this character, who have to live in a ghetto in Zuldazar

Precisely. So, tell me where you disagree:

Pre-WC3

• Night Elves are thriving and their population is spread out throughout Northen Kalimdor

Warcraft 3

• As the Orcs and Legion invade Ashenvale, the civilians are probably evacuated to either Hyjal, Darkshore, or Felwood

• Tichondrius corrupts Felwood, displacing anyone there. They probably go to Winterspring, Hyjal, or Darkshore

• The plan to trap Archimonde is formulated, and civilians at Hjyal are evacuated to either Winterspring or Darkshore

WoW

• Darnassus is built and the majority of the population is now in Darnassus

Cata

• Horde incursions into Ashenvale probably push civilians further North into Darkshore

War of Thorns

• The Horde is on a warpath through Ashenvale. They slaughter the civilians at Astranaar and likely the other settlements

• Survivors are probably seeking refuge in Darkshore or directly to Darnassus

• Any civilians in Darkshore are further evacuated as the Horde starts pushing in

• Now almost their entire civilian population is on Teldrassil

• The Horde burns Teldrassil

• Refugees go to Stormwind and Hyjal

• Many remain in Stormwind all the way up until Amirdrassil blooms

• We already know the government at Hyjal relocates to Amirdrassil

• The refugees from Stormwind relocate to Amirdrassil

• What population is left in Kalimdor?

3 Likes

The honest answer, that none of us will like, is that the population numbers are whatever Blizzard needs them to be

1 Like

Fair point, my b

Oh, 100%. Somehow the tiny group of researchers that became the first Void elves fielded a huge army less than a year later. Never trust Blizzard’s ability to count people or years is a rule of thumb I go by.

2 Likes

Yeah when you read a book like game of thrones and Martin throws around army numbers they generally matter. There are stakes when four thousand men are lost on the other side of the riverbank.

Wow you just got to take the bullet points. Those are the only things that matter in any real sense.

I think the issue here is that the sheer number of “probablys” and “likelys” that you had to insert to compile these bullets is why these discussions quickly devolve into headcanon. If we want to speculate, I would guess that maybe 2/3 of the remaining Night Elf population (which is an unknown number) would live on Amirdrassil and the remaining 1/3 would be spread throughout the rest of the world, mostly Kalimdor but Eastern Kingdoms as well. And then we’d have our usual crowd of Cenarion Druids that seem to be everywhere.

A more vague guess is that undisclosed-but-significant majority of Night Elves will live in Amirdrassil as their central location, with an undisclosed-but-notable-enough presence in Ashenvale and Hyjal. This seems in line with the breadcrumbs that we’ve been given, in my opinion.