Forsaken development

In a world where you can be combusted and incinerated by a fireball, blown away by a mine, suffocated to death by vines, driven to insanity, have one’s heart literally be stopped and be bled to death by shrapnel, an airborne poison that kills its target (and in greater strains melts them), while at the same time salting the earth, isn’t as bad as anything else currently deployed on the field.

While experimenting on living beings is morally abhorrent, in the middle ages it wasn’t as extreme to our current standards, as poisons and diseases were tested on the living as well as observed through the dead, so as to see their effect, as well as form anti-venoms and treatments for the diagnosed symptoms. A lot of the time, living subjects were criminals. This is by no means defending the cruelty and actual torture that went on in the middle ages, but it should paint a picture as to why some might not be so strongly invested in putting a stop to it. Just the same, it’s the Royal Apothecary Society, they’re an integral part to the Forsaken and among the many things they do (such as stave off the hollow state the Forsaken face), creating both deterrants and mass-destruction weapons is one of them. It may be better off to bite the bullet and let them do as they do.

While I would agree in more flexibility, the Forsaken are unique in that they are a government agency erected for the sole purpose of survival. The Forsaken exist nowhere in nature and there is no precedent for their existence. Save for the few who’ve been able to live independent lives without being destroyed, a lot of them are unfortunately apart of this political body because the outside world absolutely wants to destroy them. It makes sense why a grand majority of the Forsaken remain Forsaken.

6 Likes

Hot take there.

To Kat’s credit (and this is rare that I actually take Kat’s side here, mark it down in the history books), he is right.

Blizzard waffles hard between anime super powers and the rule of one. One character can be super powerful that takes on an entire band of soldiers. That same character can also get chumped by one stray arrow or sword, like how actual master combatants died on the battlefield or in the arena.

It’s an inconsistency that really puts a weird twist on WoW’s storytelling. Are they walking gods or mortal men who’re as death prone as the rest of us? What’ll it be? It has to be one way or the other, it can’t be both.

But here we are anyways.

1 Like

As for the main topic at hand; I hope they don’t.

I hope they forget the Forsaken are an entity. Just leave the Forsaken as they are, with no further updates.

I have no reason to trust. My cynicism is overwhelming at this point and believe- strongly- that anything they put out will be underwhelming garbage that serves no other purpose than piss me off even more.

2 Likes

Forsaken will be turned into another “almost human good race”. No more abominations, plagues, eating bodies, torturing poor souls and all that fun stuff people who initally picked this race loved.

5 Likes

Wow isn’t set in the Middle Ages and blizzard framed the blight as worse than all those other things you mentioned

After the mess that was BFA. I honestly hope they find a better home and well actually have a better leader that actually cares about them.

They don’t have to tell you anything else you do is bad when you have two eyes and can observe it in person.

All of those aforementioned ways to die I just listed are all geneva convention violations, just like chemical weapons. Anything indiscriminate or needlessly cruel. Burning someone to death is cruel and fire is indiscriminate. Hidden traps are indiscriminate. The rest, piece it together.

5 Likes

lol look at the dates they where put on. And it’s blizzard who decides what’s what in wow they only picked blight

That’s the hope at least. Just not Calia. She reminds me a bit too much of a mom who went out for smokes 15 years ago, and now all of a sudden wants to reconnect with the bitter, angry teen she returns to. All while she sort of keeps questioning why that teen is so different from the 3 year old they abandoned? Voss … is … “em”. She could be “good”, if Blizz gave her some much needed development in her new role; but she’s pretty forced right now.

As for “where” they could settle down? If its on EK, Stratholme?

Your analogy of Calia sums up my feelings in short about her, political shortcomings aside.

And yeah. Voss is super forced. Super duper double scooper forced. I don’t think she’s leadership material.

Stratholme wouldn’t be a good choice, on the count of it forever burning with the fires of hell and no clear way of putting it out. I’d sooner work with Andorhal. They ousted the Alliance out of it in the Cataclysm and Andorhal’s walls have good structure, even if it needed some repairs. Something that could’ve totally been worked on after the Horde’s victory there.

Good fortification, good river access to the neighboring territories (Hillsbrad, Eastern Plaguelands) and a solid connection to Silvermoon City. Stromgarde is also a good place, as while they said the Alliance won at Stromgarde, nothing said at Blizzcon is set in stone, if previous broken promises are anything to go by.

Anything with fortified walls makes for a good place to settle down.

I think it might be worth considering that, in addition to undead humans of Lordaeron, the original Forsaken consisted of undead high elves of Quel’thelas and undead humans (and maybe high elves) of Dalaran. Those were the three nations/kingdoms that the Scourge devastated. And Forsaken NPCs from all three have been present since Vanilla. Given that population numbers aren’t important and in game representation isn’t consistent with lore, maybe this is something that could be expanded on even if they’ve been underrepresented until now.

Gunther Arcanus, Dalar Dawnweaver, and Bethor Iceshard are all formerly of the Kirin Tor and Dalaran. There could be many more Forsaken from Dalaran we haven’t seen, including non mages and non humans. Forsaken banshees have been around since WC3 and more dark rangers have been coming out of the woodwork since WotLK. There could be many more Forsaken high elves we haven’t seen, including corporeal undead that aren’t dark rangers. The Scourge killed and presumably raised a large portion of the high elf population, so there should be a large amount of undead high elves. I don’t see any reason why the Scourge would have discriminated in which ones they raised. And on top of that, there are Forsaken banshees shown to be mages and priests.

Also, flesh constructs (such as abominations) are something the Forsaken have been able to create a variety of, since long before they had the val’kyr. There have been a few quests involving the process but I’m not sure if it’s clear whether it’s accomplished with necromancy or just SCIENCE! So maybe this could be fleshed out more too. Also the Royal Apothecary Society could work on creating some kind of embalming chemical substance that prevents the decomposing Forsaken from falling apart and needing to replace body parts. This could nullify that silly development from BtS.

2 Likes

Abominations are … odd. They have “intelligence”, but they are not “intelligent”. They are undead, but I have always honestly wondered if they were less a traditional resurrection; and more of a creation. They aren’t strictly necromancy, they are more alchemical in nature. A construct, made of flesh … but they do come off more like a homunculus than a true undead like “Forsaken; Banshees; or Death Knights”.

2 Likes

I like that portrayal of them as something like Frankenstein’s monster. It really suits the mad scientist Forsaken theme.

2 Likes

Please come up with a different analogy. I’ve seen you repeat this one like 10 times. Like Treng who used to get stuck on his catchphrases.

Fair enough, sorry about that.

In a less abrasive way, there is 15 years of distance distance between the Forsaken and Calia. A period of time that formed the Forsaken into what they are, even if they retain who they once where before she left them. 15 years that cannot just be washed away by “Divine Right to Rule” and replacing one cult of personality queen … with another.

She knows nothing of what it means to be Forsaken. She barely understand what it means to be undead. She could reconnect with her living people right now, but shows no sign of it; instead believing her undead ones need her more. What a bizarre character has been created, even without the Lightforged Undead element.

I’m not saying the sentiment was wrong, but it was weird (and seemed like a specific, niche reference) the first time… and then you kept saying it over, and over, and over.

I agree with the point you are making. The teacher in me was just starting to feel eyeball bleed from the repetitive phrasing.

2 Likes