Forsaken development

I’m arguing that you’re pushing for change with nothing constructive in mind with that change! I do want the Forsaken to change; I just think there is a whole lot more salvageable about their current racial fantasy than you do. From what I can tell there is absolutely nothing about the Forsaken you think can be salvaged, so you seem to be of the mind that since Blizz can’t just delete a PC race … they may as well do the next best thing and completely sterilize them for any future stories.

Calia Menethil is such an affront to the Forsaken history and racial fantasy it is absurd. She abandoned her people for a self imposed exile for 15 years, and only now wants back into their lives; without anything but the most basic understanding of what it even means to be even Undead. She knows nothing of their pain; their struggles; and yes, even their successes over the last 15 years … and conceptually invalidates all of that entirely solely for the sake of “Divine Right to Rule”.

Apparently, to you, the only thing of value in the Forsaken is that they were once upon a time Humans; and thus become convenient.

4 Likes

I just literally want them to give up the blight and act more honorable, lol I dont think the forsaken = blight, I know there culture is more than that you seem to disagree

You keep missing the point.

That is what you need to feel comfortable about playing the game. Its like you want the whole cosmos to evolve around your limited view of what a fantasy world should be about. Your view appears to be a single faction that just kills bad guys.

8 Likes

I mean you do the same thing, everyone has a view where the game should go, like I said earlier if you think the game should have more faction war stuff by all means, myself prefer not too, as blizzard kind sucks when they tell faction war stories.

OK … but few races are as naturally blessed as the NEs or Draenei are… The Forsaken actually do need to put effort into the assets they bring to the table; so while I don’t think the loss of the Blight is catastrophic … it does need to be replaced with something to ensure they are at least allowed some form of power fantasy. If not Blight … then revival of the dead is likely the alternative … or taking and re-purposing Scourge tech … or them getting Val’kyr from the Shadowlands to empower their forms; but you know damned well that people would have similar grievances with them doing any of those things to bolster their strength in the absence of Blight.

The NE playerbase constantly complains about how they hate how their PC race was defanged; only being able to fight off 8 to 1 odds. So, is your expectation to actually do that to the Forsaken?

3 Likes

No they dont again powerlevels are meaningless in the game, humans are literally average in everything and they are one of the most powerful factions in the game.

The existence of Jaina Proudemore throws that theory right out the window.

1 Like

and sylvanas was literally the same this xpac boo whole if blizzard is gonna kill jaina then she is gonna die, did you pay attention to the navy strength in bfa it was all over the place. Armys too, the alliance went from wining the war to all if we fail here its over, to nah the horde army is broken now all in just between 8.2 to 8.3

No, powerlevels do matter in this game. I get that you’re part of the faction that has people so powerful that they take entire armies to even stall out; but yeah … clearly Blizz loves toying with extremely anime style powerhouse characters. All of Legion revolved those very types of characters. Many of the Alliance’s victories in BfA revolved those types of characters. Hell, soldiers, armies, resources, tech, and tactics are repeatedly shown as absolutely meaningless in this game as long as at least one of those Alliance demigods is on the field.

Saurfang getting a lucky as hell cheap shot against Malf while he was apparently battling a Sylvanas becoming increasingly doped up on Death Juice does not change that reality of Blizz’s style of writing. Especially after this apparent apex Warrior character Saurfang was man handled like an insignificant child by Malf not 5 pages earlier in the same short story.

5 Likes

yeah and how has our super powerful people played out? I still see teld burning even tho mal the most powerful mortal was there lol. sylvanas was hardly doped up too during that the burning hadn’t happened yet. Its almost like the faction that won was the faction that need to win for the story blizzard wanted.

Correction. Blood Elves had hopes for the horde.

The blood elves are not horde, and they never will be, despite what your in game faction tab will tell you.

Blood elves are neutral at best, alliance at worse. No horde member has ever thought of blood elves as a horde race.

Oh, you’re definitely not wrong about that. Though, I would certainly argue that at the very least the entire Horde is no longer weaker than just the Kaldorei anymore; but apparently its a close thing still … thanks in no small part to Malf and Tyrande existing. Blizz wanted the Horde to be the antagonists in this war, so they needed to make sure that the one and only battle in the entire conflict that we actually won; was the one allowed to turn in a catastrophe we were constantly reminded we should feel bad about. A vehicle to push Sylvie plot, at our expense.

The Horde does not win a single victory on its own power after the WoT; even with Blizz handicapping the Alliance through the ground both literally and ideologically. Our War Campaign was a joke that amounted to nothing. Our recruitment of the Zandalari fleet was instantly removed as a factor, with apparently canonically the Kul Tiran fleet largely remaining in tact by the end of BfA. The only real damage that was done to the Alliance post WoT … was done by the Naga. We even needed the Alliance to come in and help clean up our mess … again.

6 Likes

Did you really think blizzard was gonna let the horde win anything after genocide the horde story wasn’t about winning the war to survive like the alliance story

I would argue with you, but at this point the Horde does not justify its existence as an entity outside of the meta knowledge there will be more grand threats that warrant staying together. Didn’t the Darkspear try to leave the Horde in Cataclysm? I would think they would be fed up for losing tons of their race to a war that got them nothing. Same thing with the Tauren. Lor’themar has far more reasons to hate the Horde at this point than the Alliance. Twice there has been conflict that has sent his low-population race into the meat-grinder. For nothing again. He is even chill (no pun intended) with Jaina now.

1 Like

You will never have high elves

4 Likes

We have them already

they are called void elves.

A little late, so sorry! However, I think this is really interesting.

I’ve addressed this before, I think it’s super cool! Basically, the bygone Blizzard did just that. They humanized the Forsaken by emphasizing all that they lost. Their dark actions were just a response to their scrambling for justice for a terrible wrong inflicted upon them.

It’s certainly one approach to the morally gray delimma. In stories, people tend to evaluate “evil” on a relative scale. Blight is bad, but it’s nowhere near as bad as the Lich King.

Also… I’m okay with Blizzard narratively treating the Blight as “bad”, when it’s just as horrible in-game as other weapons available in this fantasy world. I’m less concerned with the functionality, as much as the thematics. When you establish the Blight as “bad” compared to other weapons, it gives the Forsaken that “edge” they need. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, that “edge” has not been counterbalanced with equivalent empathy or humanization in some time.

4 Likes

what if blizz convert all high elves to void elves on alliance side?

That’s more or less my gripe as well. There are a lot of humanizing elements to the Forsaken- but they’re small moments from random quest givers and bit player NPCs a good amount of the playerbase either won’t see or notice.

In Tirisfal there’s a little old lady who clearly doesn’t quite understand what’s going on, as she tasks you to get bat pelts so she can make cloaks to keep the Deathguard warm but it’s sweet she’s trying to help. In Silverpine you see Forsaken soldiers demonstrably suffering from shell shock - fel there’s one who is catatonic with dismay because the humans made him watch as they slaughtered all his men. That’s a far cry from the remorseless, unfeeling killers they’re shown as elsewhere. In the Pools of Vision you’ve a woman still boiling with rage over her husband, who left his family to battle the Scourge and well look how that turned out. Not a happy story but rather than being shown with cold apathy she’s clearly still torn up about it.

There’s tons of little examples like this. Even RAS, the evilest of the Forsaken branches, have a lot of quests where they’re trying to aid living allies for no evident ulterior motive - they’re just being good allies.

But in the big in game story moments they’re shown as little more than depraved canon fodder.

12 Likes

Personally I’m not going to be a fan of any direction that take with the forsaken, because I already know it’s going to be one dimensional moving forward as it is for all of the others races.

Personally I feel like some forsaken should be killed for what they did in the past, while others are perfectly fine just like anyone else. Though I’m sure it’ll just be a generic redemption’s/good guy forsaken/whatever plot moving forward, and I don’t say that because I dislike the forsaken just because I dislike the writers from what I’ve seen.