Forsaken development

Now that Sylvanas has gone full villain, is anyone else excited and hopeful that the Forsaken will finally get some racial identity and development that goes beyond “Sylvanas’ slaves”? Because up until now, they’ve basically just been her. Started to get a little development with Lillian and the Tidesage guy, but yeah, I’m actually eager to see them become something after 15 years of being props for one character.

17 Likes

Very much so. In addition to the fact that Forsaken were often tied so much to Sylvanas, I was dismayed at how she doesn’t even look like any of them. She’s drop dead gorgeous by conventional standards with not a single scar, exposed bone, or anything.

Additionally, I’m one of the few that’s been happy to see her throw off the shackles of pretending to be nice and instead go full ham villain. Not because I agree with her, but because I think that she’s a lot more entertaining that way. It’s like watching a film/show where it’s soooo obvious that the person in all black, with the creepy monologues, and shifty actions is going to turn. Then they do, and it’s absolutely glorious.

10 Likes

Tidesage guy? You thought that was ‘development’, but you can’t even remember his name? Nobody cared about Zelling, and everyone is glad that Nathanos shot him, and the only thing that was bad was that we didn’t get to watch other forsaken come along and cannibalize him.

16 Likes

Hopefully the Forsaken can learn some proper necromancy so they aren’t tied to the Val’kyr anymore. Maybe they can learn from the Necrolords?

11 Likes

I cared about Zelling, so this statement is false. And the fact I couldn’t remember his name isn’t a refutation of this point, so don’t try digging deeper into that.

And this is also false. Don’t speak for other people please, thanks. You speak only for yourself.

Sort of like Diablo Necromancers maybe?

4 Likes

I only cared insofar as he was a new character that could have gotten some really cool development and trained a whole new section of Forsaken, but he immediately went traitor with Baine. I agree that were glad he was shot, but I think a lot more of us were disappointing that he couldn’t get a full on story beyond BFA turning into a callous Forsaken with a few Kultiran quirks and small soft spot we could pull out of him when push comes to shove.

To the actual question though, I do we hope get a lot more development but I dont such a radical shift because “purple lady bad!” that we turn into decayed humans or skinny orcs. What we are now should remain, instead just rallying around fresh leaders who wish to expand and bolster strength of the Forsaken

1 Like

Forsaken were defanged as much as Night Elves under Golden and the current writing team. They went from being such terrible foes due to how difficult they were to kill, hell they could lose limbs and still fight on.

Now they fall apart from handshakes and hugs. I’m not super confident in the current writing team’s ability to develop them in any positive way.

50 Likes

That’s false because I for one liked Zelling and was dismayed that Nathanos shot him.

15 Likes

Usually what people say when villains become heroes. Which is development in a positive way.

The Forsaken aren’t anything now. That’s the problem. They’re Sylvanas. They don’t have an identity of their own.

Mostly the same. She makes a great villain, it’s just more aggravating to have her be blatantly villainous and still have the narrative treat her as a protagonist and expect players to view her as such. Garrosh had the same problem.

2 Likes

Depends on if they handle things any better than the end of MoP. We had much the same hopes for the horde after Garrosh and leading into WoD that people seem to have now and Blizzard completely failed to deliver. We didn’t even have an official orc leader till the end of Legion.

7 Likes

The Forsaken have plenty of development.

They’ve been in the game since WC3 and have tons of lore and notable characters. Many of whom weren’t just following Sylvanas (Grand Apothecary Putress, Lord Godfrey, Bishop Alonsus Faol, Zellig, etc.) .

2 Likes

Quick question what if you were a huge Night Elf fan and cdev took away everything you liked about them in the first place, it would suck right?

I know this may not be you but I feel some type of way when posters suggest “development” for a race that they clearly never liked, as if to reset the entire race.

43 Likes

I’m rather concerned that with Lillian not interested in leadership (according to others, I’m not fully up to date on the datamining), that means Blizzard has put a Horde race in the situation of having zero voiced leader-candidates, for like the third time.
It’s probably an odd concern to focus on, but still.

Putress is dead. Godfrey is dead. Faol was never a Forsaken, merely an undead. Zelling is dead. The most notable characters for the Forsaken atm are Voss, Belmont, Faranell, Tattersail, and Velanora. That is a pretty humbling list tbh…

There are also a few minor “Gob Squad” style Forsaken characters that are fun, but hardly developed. Chadwick Paxton’s squad are always enjoyable, and there was that one Forsaken Warlock from Legion Tehd Shoemaker who was great.

1 Like

Still not even sure why Voss is even on that list. She wanted nothing to do with the Horde, ever. Then openly admits in BFA that she was forced into it by Sylvanas. And now she cares about the Forsaken because reasons.

She’s there because there’s no one of note left, which is even more depressing from a narrative standpoint.

On a related note, I haven’t really followed the story too hard in BFA because it’s god awful but are the Forsaken just screwed in terms of reproducing now that Sylvanas peaced out with the remaining Valkyr and the Lich King no longer has the helm of domination? Are they doomed to die out if things stay like this or is there another way for Forsaken to reproduce?

8 Likes

How did you conclude that, please enlighten us oh mighty druid.

Oh look, this alliance player suddenly feels compassionate and cares about the undead. you just wanted to make a Sylvanas bashing post and to look clever and caring, but in fact don’t give a sh*t about the undead.

Soo. Lillian, and “tidesage guy”. Shows how much you care for the undead.

“But yeah”? your post was so deep, I’m glad you got us back with the “but yeah”,

No you aren’t and you just keep on repeating the only thing you’ve learnt from other posts which is bashing Sylvanas cause your entire faction couldn’t land a finger on her.

You are trying to show compassion to the undead players while you bash them at the same time.

18 Likes

This already happened. Everything was practically taken from them. No longer this race of powerful nocturnal dark elves who relied on nature. Now they are your typical wood elves.
They were once gifted fighters that if you went into their woods and were their enemy. You would have to tread carefully. Now, sentinels are ambushed by shredders.

They were once nocturnal now they had to be adapted to fight during the day.

The Druidism aspect is cool, but is over shown. The Night Warrior is the first sisterhood of elune aspect, we have seen in ages.

We were once elite fighters, now the damsel in distress. Night elves were defanged until they stopped being taken like a threat.

5 Likes

Oh sure, just like how I was excited for the Orcs getting development after Garrosh or the Trolls getting development after Vol’jin.

25 Likes

Oddly enough, something I just noticed is that Forsaken-style Undead didn’t actually exist in Warcraft III. They pretty much poofed into existence with WoW, almost like the playable Draenei.

1 Like

Tyrande got a power boost, even if it was never show right in-game. Malfurion is still the second, if not the strongest Druid on Azeroth. You got to keep Darkshore, and I’m pretty sure the Horde (though I doubt in game because blizzard) is pushed out of Ashenvale now. Maiev went from batcrap insane to a decent enough leader, Jarod is still kicking. Seems the only thing you lost was a Capital,

Where Blizzard is also heard the uproar and are not only making a whole zone for the Night Elfs, but also more story for Tyrande and Elune. I can also forsee every soul of the Night Elfs sent to the maw getting out, The Night Elfs are getting more than most races have got in years.

Didn’t the book say that Night Elf were taking down Horde soldiers 9 to 1?

12 Likes