For those of you avoiding retail, would you play retail content on pristine realms?

Lol, you don’t need to raid hardcore to get CE. This character I did EN and nothing else really with - I quit when the next raid was new.

So you’ve done the easiest mythic raid in the last decade and think they are all like that?

Only about 500 people in the entire world have actually completed the latest mythic raid.

its a step in the right direction but theyd have to also remove a lot of content and ‘features’ as well. The only things id be okay with are really the zones and stories from wrath and bfa. But things like extra races, cataclysm classes, all that crap that homogenized and destroyed lore like all the paladins etc… all of that would have to be undone and all youd have is just a bunch of new zones that are like on par with southshore/wpl/epl…

The new expansions have great zones, some great stories, but everything else would have to go.

I’ve seen people say recently that spamming heroic dungeons is the fastest way to get your ilvl up where it needs to be to move on.

Out of curiosity I’m trying to Google this question now because I really thought that some of this started pretty early. I’m finding some forum posts where people said that the amount of xp required to reach each level 1-60 was changed several times over the years beginning partway through BC, but I still want to see if I can find some patch notes that explicitly say so. So it’s not exactly buffing a player with a literal XP buff, but changing how much XP is awarded for things while also changing how much is needed for leveling up 1-60.

Here’s an excerpt from a 2011 forums post.

midway through TBC they reduced how much XP you need per level from 1-60 and increased how much you get from handing in quests, they did teh same to TBC content during WotLK, and they did the same to WotLK content at the start of Cata.

And that’s only one little thing out of the many many many other things that changed the way leveling works. Changes to low level mana regen, new super powered talents accessible to sub-level 60 characters.

So now I want patch notes to prove if anything in that forum post is true. Here are some things I found.

Patch 2.3.0
Leveling Improvements
Many leveling improvements have been made for the old world
The amount of experience needed to gain a level has been decreased between levels 11 and 60. In addition, the amount of experience granted by quests has been increased between levels 30 and 60.
Level 1-60 dungeon quests have had their experience and faction rewards increased.
Many elite creatures and quests in the level 1-60 experience have been changed to accommodate solo play.

Patch 2.4.0
Dungeon and Group Quest Experience: The amount of experience awarded for dungeon and 5-person group quests in Outland has been increased in almost all cases.

And those are only some changes I found from mid-way in BC so I’m guessing that if I search patch notes for other expacs that I may find similar things.

Yeah. It’s difficult to understand where the thought that a pristine realm would really resolve any of the issues people have with Retail.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not in the camp of hating everything about Retail, but there are a handful of big things, and an abundance of little things that could be addressed to make it a better overall experience.

Those changes though may very well ruin Retail for anyone who currently prefers its current state.

Leveling improvements are changes to the overall leveling system. This happened periodically throughout most expansions. Caps were raised and lowered and ultimately Heirlooms provided leveling boosts that were widely used.

I thought you were talking in your post, about XP buffs i.e., pots or ways of temp boosting XP gains.

However, level boosts (to max level) first became available with purchase of WoD.

There won’t be any such boosts in Classic, other than the one already fixed in 1.12, which as you may know, was the BC “prepatch” where difficulty was lowered and it became easier to level.

Just did quests in the Barrens today on my little Shaman. Formerly you had to farm about 50 raptors to get 12 heads. However, every single kill dropped a quest item. This is not Vanilla.

1 Like

I’ve done more than that, it’s just the first character I thought of. This character did a bit at the end of WoD. I’ll see if I still have the Warrior I did MoP with - though I started as a Hunter too.

And what about that? Do you want to know how many people in the world actually completed Naxx at all before 2.0?

Not many. Naxx wasn’t out long before Blizz dropped 2.0. I think it was patched in at what, 1.9?

how many people do you think would’ve cleared mythic EP without all the catch up mechanics and mythic+ farming tfs to gear them? naxx was that way because of attunments and needing to do every raid in order. plus needing a bunch of tanks.

I killed about 30 beasts in the Barrens today. Only 3 dropped loot, giving me a total of 4 silver for my work.

This has been nerfed since yesterday.

Ah, I’ve looked a little further. The FoS are shared. I’ve also done MSV, Empress, Lei Shen, and Garrosh AotC. I wasn’t really raiding hardcore then though.

What has been nerfed since yesterday? I did Segra’s quests today and every single beast dropped a quest item. Weird. Is that what was nerfed?

I fully expected to be killing Barrens beasts for hours – instead I was done in about 40 minutes.

You realise AOTC and Cutting Edge are not the same thing right? AOTC is the achievement for doing the easier difficulty (Heroic, back then was called normal). Cutting Edge is the achievement for completing mythic. You’ve never done that.

You’ve never even attempted the hardest difficulty in Retail, but you feel qualified to compare it to Classic?

^ This.

Somewhat ironically, what’s turned me off of retail were things that make basic navigation more tedious, in other words, more like Classic. I love flying in retail. I love(d) having multiple portal hubs to make travel faster and more efficient. Towards the end of Pandaria, I even grew to appreciate the new talent system that makes switching talents and talent builds for specific situations easier.

I appreciate the increased agency and RPG elements of Classic, and I appreciate the increased efficiency and quality of life changes of Retail. They’re two different games, each with pros and cons. Retail doesn’t need to be more like Classic and Classic doesn’t need to be more like Retail.

Perhaps you get a quest item to drop. But 90% for me gave only an empty loot window.

There’s no way to earn gold grinding beasts now. No way to earn gold = no reason to play for me.

what are you professions? if you have skinning and lw you can craft things and vendor them for decent money.

At 37 I would suggest killing beasts in SoS. Lots of good skins, greys and cash.

Leatherworking items vend out for the vendor price of the components. Vending out stacks of leather is a lot of work for a little gold.

Naxx also had absurd costs to do it gold-wise due to consumables. It’s not just difficulty, but the logistics. I’m not going to pretend like Naxx is harder than the current Mythic raid because that’s horribly unlikely - we’re much better than we were back then and Blizzard is better at design for boss fights.