Flying Update in Shadowlands

There is a reason to do PF if you want the mount and/or speed rewards for doing it. Or if you just like to do achievements. There are benefits to doing the meta achievements for PF if you want the “extra” rewards.

Additonally, on every alt you have to purchase flight so you can fly in every zone prior to Draenor anyway. After the change, you still have to purchase flight for all other zones anyway and Draenor/Legion zones will be included with the purchase so you don’t have to do PF. It’s not like they are adding cost to fly in those zones for people who have already obtained PF.

They are actually lowering the overall cost by removing the 280 speed skill and only having to buy 4 of them on alts (which you already have to do anyway if you want to fly anywhere outside of Draenor / Broken Shore / BfA areas).

I just don’t see the big deal.

I do PF in current content because I want to fly, I do all the necessary things with or without reward (even beyond up to exalted with all reps because I like to see those shiny green bars), enjoy grinding achievements, like the challenge of finding all the “treasures” when there is actually a little difficulty in doing so, and more. The point of doing it, for me, is so I don’t have to wait 2 expansions from now to fly in areas I am going to spend all of the current expansion playing in.

Also, what’s the difference between today and after the change? You were already doing PF, waiting 7-10 months to fly after doing all the content repeatedly to actually be able to fly.

They are not unlocking flight in BfA, only in the super old expansion content where keeping it makes little sense anymore, especially after the change to how questing, levels, and zones will work.

We’ve never been able to fly only from doing questing in the current content. There have always been exploration and rep requirements also, and there was once treasure hunting requirements. This is exactly how Shadowlands PF will work.

Players played this game just fine before PF was a thing. They will play when PF is no longer a thing (and the next flight unlock mechanism is put in place, or whatever happens). I am seriously confused by your post… I just don’t understand your argument or complaint. What you’re saying makes little sense to me.

So many people actually unsubbed with that announcement Blizzard HAD to reverse it. It is their game and they can make any change they want but there are financial repercussions with those decisions.

4 Likes

Are you sure. They specifically stated they wanted the leveling zone to be consistent - next expansion BfA is a leveling zone. They mentioned to 50 - prior to 50 is BfA content.

Subs for gold weren’t a thing during WoD so that’s out the window.

I’m talking about the ones that quit over the no flying going forward. People like you seem to think oh it was a nothing event but in reality it was the biggest wow upset since the whole real ID fiasco.

1 Like

How is flying at 30 gonna work in cataclysm zones where flying is a requirement pretty early on. I can’t imagine doing Hyjal without it, and i don’t think you can use the seahorse in vashj’ir without it either.

I mean, no. No one can be “sure” of anything. But they specifically mention Draenor and Legion PF’s only, so it’s a pretty fair guess…
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/shadowlands-development-update-notes-april-16/490669/8

Specifically, the flight training rewards from Draenor Pathfinder and Broken Isles Pathfinder, Part Two will no longer be required for flying in Draenor or Broken Isles content. These will now be granted at level 30 with expert flying.

1 Like

I don’t hate wow. I’ve NEVER hated wow. I’ve been playing this game for 15 years. I don’t want to stop my sub but I will once SL hits and we’re waiting around for flying. I won’t do that again. I’ll sit back and wait to play the game when it’s in a more fun state aka flying is available.

2 Likes

Nonsense.

Flying is practically still not in current expansions and we only get it at the end.

The game is still going strong.

Stop the rhetoric of all these undocumented millions that quit over flying. They don’t exist.

2 Likes

I’d be perfectly fine with PF if they removed the .2 patch time gate. I hate that more than I’ve hated anything in wow.

2 Likes

Flight isn’t required for any Cata zones. They added purchasable flight immediately in that expansion only because of the disparity from moving from an area where we could fly into an area where we couldn’t just because we crossed a border. It made no sense to have some areas in Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor “drop” us to the ground because we crossed the wrong, invisible border.

Nothing in any of those zones actually required flight until max level.

I’m not talking about NOW. I’m talking about “NO FLYING GOING FORWARD” announcement made in WoD. THAT announcement did cause enough outrage to change the decisions made about wow.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure Deepholm is 100% not navigable by foot

2 Likes

And that’s your prerogative. And and early “welcome back” for when you do start playing! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Yeah, you’re right. Much of that zone did need flight, I forgot about that one. But that zone was later in the leveling process and Blizz could have either only enabled flight there, or done what they did in Wrath (added a “rent-a-mount” or had flight obtainable at the level that zone opened up), which they didn’t. Because of the odd feeling of the Cata zones that were part of the main continents.

I hope it’s much soon than the .2 patch this time.

2 Likes

But NOW is all that matters. The old 2015 debacle is long over. We all know about it. It is what brought about PF after all. Continuing to talk about it as if it’s relevant to current topics is pretty silly.

Yes I realize they specifically mentioned on those. But on alpha people without pathfinder can fly in BfA. They claimed they wanted questing expansions to be consistent - BfA is a questing expansion. There is a good reason they wouldn’t mentioned BfA right now because they still want people to work on that content and most people wouldn’t if they knew they would get it for free in Shadowlands.

I’m using it as an example of how we as players can impact change. Many people still think and claim that the players leaving over that decision just didn’t matter at all which absolutely wasn’t the case.

2 Likes

is the Developer’s War on Flying finally over?

3 Likes

And nothing in Alpha is just something in Alpha to help speed up testing. I totally get it now…

“Most” people who are going to get it already have it. Telling us now that they won’t need it in Shadowlands would make little difference in how people are currently playing the game, I would imagine.

And yes, I am aware that I speak only for myself. But past PF completion rates side by side with BFA completion rate (Draenor, 47.9% - Legion, 66.8% - BFA, 68.5%). If they were gonna do it, it would be done by now.

1 Like