Flying in DF sounds awful

I think this game would be more fun if it had more physics. Physics are more realistic and relatable than air swim.

would you guys prefer to fly or walk everywhere?

It’s SOMETHING that gets you up in the sky and from place to place faster than walking. You get normal flying eventually.

Getting kinda tired of the goldilocks syndrome around here it’s going to get us nothing good at all fast.

Imagine thinking Blizzard is going to lock you out of your entire mount inventory for an entire expansion rather than just the first patch of the expansion.

If you don’t like it that much feel free to walk everywhere or use ground mounts.

I for one will absolutely not mind a way to jump off mountains and “glide down” right off the bat in an expansion rather than face plant 500 yards down and die.

so u want a glider

If you only count decent speed i can skydive from one side of the city to the other faster than i can drive.

But skydiving every time i want to get groceries isnt really faster is it?

2 Likes

Well i’m glad you have that opinion on what you think would be subjectively fun.

Personally, i much rather it be functional and responsive, rather then simply being a hindrance. Because it allows me to get to the fun where i need to be, considering most of the content i’m going to be doing is on the ground anyways.

But i think you’re allowing the “Oh wow this is fun!” to cloud your judgement here, instead of thinking how this will be useful this will truly be aside from just simply speed? Like is there gonna be something like a Turn limit? How long is the stamina going to last or how it works exactly? How exactly the momentum and gravity is going to work in this game with this feature? What are the drawbacks of this feature? Will this feature take into account the delay between client and servers here since were going so fast?

Why a lot of you choosing to hyping it up without even knowing 100% all the details of the dragon-riding?

In the game with Ashes of Alar?

Why did you type this out? Just curious, why did you type this in response to my comment where i’ve refuted this “realism” point that people love to use? Did you even read the comment of mine before typing this out? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

. . . all I can really say is . . .

2 Likes

I don’t have alpha and nobody I watch really addresses the accessibility side to it, but giving feedback like this is probably something you should keep doing. I know they addressed motion sickness a while ago, so I’m hopeful they have options or have those considerations in mind.

1 Like

100% all of these forum only babbies who don’t play the game started in WOTLK, found the forums, and never learned to shut up. It’s so cringe.

…I’ve noticed you have achievements no older then 2019. Not that it matters considering you’re insulting people who didn’t play before Wrath, while you’re on a character that didn’t even play Legion.

Also, you’re not forced to be on the forums mate if you find it cringe. :laughing:

Not really sure why you’re even here and just go about your business if you love Dragon Riding though. :thinking:

Everyone has an opinion, including you. You’re not refuting anything. Yes, I read your posts.

As far as realism goes, think of the animations alone. There’s a reason it looks natural and not clunky and artificial. It’s more immersive to be able to relate to the environment in the game, so the animations are modeled after real animals and people which makes them look really good and fluid. People tend to notice things that are out of place or simply make no sense and it draws attention. The modelers and animators must make things move in a psychologically predictable way, otherwise it draws more attention. I get it, you don’t like the term realism, but it’s all around you in the game along with the fantasy. The way I see it, there should be a proper balance between the realism and fantasy.

… going 90MPH downhill on a five ton fire lizard and coming to a sudden stop after having all your momentum arrested by one pixel at the end of a twig.

Or having a mount that can ostensibly “fly” but gets tired after flapping three times to get up a small foothill.

1 Like

Because you didn’t read my previous comment or try to understand what i’m talking about.

And how’s anything i’ve said here an opinion? :point_down:

These are valid concerns to have that put pause on my or anybody else’s excitement if they feel that way. What’s wrong with that? What’s wrong with being skeptic or concerned about a feature that you have no 100% idea on? Why do you think it’s bad for me to have a differing opinion from yours?

Moreover, what’s wrong with me wanting something that is just functional for a game like this?

…Are you sure about that?

…Okay?

You should probably explain and show what you mean by that. Because just saying that, wouldn’t give them an accurate idea of where you’re coming from or what you’re seeing here.

Not to diverge to a YouTuber to further the point here, but there’s a channel that goes by the name of RadRat who reviews skating games and he himself, is a skater as well. On top of reviewing Skateboard games like Tony Hawk to see how well they hold up on the game side of things, he also examines the animations of the tricks themselves to see how accurate they are to the real life tricks, as well point out some of the unrealistic stuff or stuff that isn’t exactly skateboarding. He goes into detail and even shows why it looks bad or good in his opinion.

Immersion’s subjective, and often not really defined, considering people have different ideas for immersion, as well as fun.

I mean the same can be said for any game really. I’m more concerned of the control aspect, i.e, the gameplay part when we start to play it.

That’s a valid concern, considering blizzard’s community do care about the cosmetic side of things a lot, but it’s a concern that’s outweighed by gameplay concerns as i’ve mentioned here. Looking good isn’t the same as playing good, and vice versa.

And on the topic of realism, that covers way more then just animations. Hence the Ashes of Alar mount.

You really don’t get if you just think i don’t like it. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’ve actually explained why this term usage here is incorrect, not just though how people only use when it’s convenient for them, but how it doesn’t appear to have any real basis (movies don’t count) in reality for comparison, as i said in my previous comment that you’ve responded. :point_down:

The term you’re looking for is believability. Not realism.

Which… opens up this since were now on believability. Why the dragons we have don’t get tired, but ones in DF do? Why do these move differently then the ones we already have?.. Are the ones in DF are… weaker? Because it’s Dragon isles, right? One would expect it’s their home, right?..

And in terms of physics, Lumineus bought up these good points. Which i’l shamelessly quote. :point_down:

I think Lumineus’ first point is good.

I just think that limitations aren’t always a bad thing. I think you’re right about the term believability over realism. Even Al’ar may have motion capture animations. I admit I just kind of skim over posts. I’m supposed to be doing RL things. I hope that’s okay. :smiling_imp:

The second point is worth considering because dragon riding pertains to dragons and we all know that dragons in WoW’s case, flies indefinably, but not the DF ones.

That depends on which were talking about. Because nobody ever genuinely complained about the lack of limitations with flying until DragonFlight was announced.

Yes, because i don’t simply buy the fact that these dragons get tired in Dragon Isles, but everywhere else, they are perfectly fine. Unless the argument here from Blizzard is “Their weaker”.

…Okay, but you do know that’s not why i’m using the Al’ar for here, right?

You do know physics are more then just gravity or “realistic animations”, right?..

Maybe you shouldn’t do that then considering what resulted in you not completely understanding my comments. :man_facepalming:

Then read them when you have free time. Nobody was forcing you to read them right this second.

People already out here making judgments on the state of flying and we have not even seen what the fully upgraded dragon riding act does yet, that said I already enjoy it WAY more than the flying we have now because we can go 950% speed instead of that turbo slow 310% of what ever the cap is currently.

1 Like

so you are saying that flying will be faster?

I’m sorry, what? Did you mean descent speed?

No, I counting the entire process of mounting and flying to a node. If the process of mounting the flying mount is the same for both but Dragonriding is 2X faster than regular flying then Dragonriding becomes be better option to gather.

The only variable I can think of, that I have not seen anyone explain so far, is can the energy component of the system keep up with rigorous node farming?

what will you farm :open_mouth: and why :open_mouth:

Well the cap in live right now is like 310% before any class buffs like paladins etc…if I remember correctly and on the alpha you can get up to 950% speed with dragon flying so it’s more than double the current top speed.