Flagging Threads: Is anything being done?

I’m amazed that blizzard actually thought giving players this level of self moderation on the forums was a good idea. We couldn’t even be trusted to use downvoting properly, what made them think we could be trusted with the power to lock threads?

2 Likes

This is a hilarious point. I’m really not sure either.

1 Like

You what when? Toxic masculinity? This is the WoW forums my friend not a college campus. No matter how much Golden preaches about toxic masculinity doesn’t exist.

The problem is we’re on the internet and animosity is king. And believe it or not there are people out the world that aren’t as infatuated with Elves as you and I.

6 Likes

There are people who read these forums, who, I am convinced, view themselves as the forum police.

Instead of downvoting, they flag, again, anecdotal evidence only, anything that they view as anti-blizzard.

But hey, I’m paying, so Blizzard doesn’t care. (only said it once)

2 Likes

There is nothing abusive about a down vote system… It’s not like your post is suddenly hidden from view or your account is suspended if you get too many down votes. It is an easy way for people to express their disagreement with your post. Just like how we can quickly agree with it.

4 Likes

B-b-but if I get a lot of downvotes on my posts then my self image will fall apart and I’ll be really sad! You dont want a sad Elf do you? Our ears get droopy.

6 Likes

I believe their idea was to grade it by the number of flags the thread would receive in-order to be locked . It doesn’t seem to have worked :expressionless:

1 Like

With downvoting threads and posts would be hidden, making it appear as spam or trolling when it wasn’t. This was commented on by a blue who said it was never intended to be used the way it was. After the removal of the downvote, supporters of the then/now extinct abused system would unironically spam threads with a thumbs down ASCII. Truly a hilarious couple weeks.

It was a garbage system.

And one in which I can flag you on multiple alts is better?

2 Likes

Basically this. I wouldn’t be opposed to both flagging and downvoting going the way of the dodo, but if I had to pick one to keep I’d pick downvoting any day. Big deal, my post has to be clicked to be opened and has grey text that’s slightly harder to read. At least I can still respond.

1 Like

Personally, I believe the issue is trolls within threads whom provoke people who want to seriously discuss into flagging their posts. I won’t name any names, but I’ve seen people on both sides of the aisle in both High Elf threads who I would flag if I wasn’t sure others weren’t already doing so.

Since enough flagging is what locks a thread, I can only conclude these trolls are baiting those interested in the discussion into locking their own threads.

I hope that the Moderators will see this behavior for what it is and skip the suspensions and go straight for Forum Bans.

1 Like

So they clearly didn’t know the difference between “down vote” and “flag” because what we have now is EXACTLY what they didn’t want. With a couple of flags we can shot down a conversion. Down votes should be the same system as up votes. Just a quick and easy way for players to voice their agreement or disagreement with a topic.

No. Neither should exist.

1 Like

If your topic or post, on a message board dedicated to an online game, getting downvoted, upsets you?

You probably have bigger issues to deal with than text you have to click to read.

4 Likes

That’s beyond silly. Bring back downvoting and take away the part where it hides posts. This idea that someone’s inane thought that they spewed forth from their fingertips cant be marked thumbs down is ridiculous. :-1:

3 Likes

Flagging is the new down vote.

4 Likes

I’ve said it before, they took away the downvote because they believed we forum goers were not using it correctly but they give us even more ways to abuse the system with this flagging.
Not seeing consistency. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

It’s doubtful Blizzard is doing anything about people spam flagging threads that don’t violate rules, if they were doing something about it we would see people crying on the forum about being “punished for flagging threads that violate the forum coc”.

Meanwhile, you will catch a suspension for harassment for using words such as sissy or simpleton. You don’t even have to direct those words at anyone, just use them.

This forum is almost as much of a joke as the game itself.

2 Likes

Apparently not everyone agrees with you that the thread is “fielding respectful and thought provoking debates”.

Sure, but not every opinion is worth acting on. If someone’s sensibilities are bruised by non-offensive conversation, what can you do?