Fix unrated pvp

Posting this here because Blizz doesn’t care about the pvp forums (or general either smh.) I already made this thread and had like 7 paragraphs written and my pc decided to crash so here we go again I guess.

Random bgs are in an awful spot for anyone new to the game/new to pvp/ on an alt. You and your team can all be new pvpers/alts with 28k health. The enemy team can be a full premade of 259 geared pvpers with 55k health. This is an extreme example but it happens all the time. Bgs are purely gear checks. If you team has less gear, you lose. No amount of skill can make up for every enemy player doing 2x your damage and having 10k+ more health. And it’s never even a “close” loss. If the enemy team has gear, they will farm you at your gy the entire match. This isn’t new, but you’ll see why this is a huge issue in current pvp.

Let’s take my Hunter. I leveled it and then geared entirely though bgs. For a week straight when I didn’t have gear, I got destroyed. Every match. Checking my combat log and seeing “aimed shot 38k” “Execute 22k” “pyroblast 24k.” Just nothing but one shots. This isn’t a skill issue. Put a rank one glad on a fresh 60 against a Duelist in Duelist gear and they will lose 100/100 times. You cannot outskill someone when you hit them for 1/50’th of what they hit you for.

Now onto part of the reason pvp gearing is awful. Honor gear. The best a new pvper can hope for for a long time. Weapons are huge for pvp, so let’s look at that. A 2h honor weapon at base level is 177 (213) in pvp. It costs 1800 honor. To then RANK IT UP 6 MORE TIMES COSTS MORE THAN THE HONOR CAP! A bg win is about 1100 honor. A loss is 250 honor. if you win 50% of your bgs, it’s around 26 bgs to fully rank up ONE item. EACH ITEM CAN BE UPGRADED 7/7. And at the max level, it is 233 i-level in pvp. Not bad! Actually it is. Let’s talk why bgs are overrun with high i-level pvpers.

So Conquest gear comes from conquest, obviously. But you need honor (and ranked pvp rating) to actually level it up. You get some honor from ranked pvp, but not enough to keep up. This leads high rated pvpers in high level pvp gear into random bgs/skirms going for fast and easy honor. It’s very common to queue into a random bg and face a premade of 245+ geared pvpers. There is no way to win. It’s shooting fish in a barrel. You can’t even hit anyone on their team before you’ve been one shot. For anyone new to pvping/casual pvpers/alts this is a nightmare. Why would anyone do pvp if it’s like this? Because for us new pvpers, it’s the only way to get gear. Here is how we fix this.

All honor gear remains at the same honor cost. But all ranks are gone. It is 233 in pvp when you buy it. There is no reason for pvp gear to have so much i-level disparity and jumping through hoops in satan’s circus. Another option. ALL pvp gear is scaled to 245 in unranked pvp. ALL pve gear is scaled to 225 in unranked pvp. Pvpers have to deal with our gear being garbage in pve. Pve gear should be garbage in pvp. Finally, remove conquest gear needing honor to rank up. You already need a ranked pvp rating to upgrade conq gear. Needing honor is just another way of making us play more for no reason.

I already know blizz is keeping it like this for player engagement metrics. Who cares if us plebs are getting farmed for 80 hours trying to gear our characters to step into ranked pvp as long as it’s 80 hours we’re playing. But pvers try to understand. Starting pvp is like if you had to go from leveling gear straight into +15s with your entire group always being 190 i-level. There needs to be a better way to gear in pvp. That is all

51 Likes

Just buff BG leveling 50-60 , Buff XP+ Buff Honor gains + no Honor cap bs , if you do 50-60 with BG , you should be able to buy a full honor gear upgrade when you reach lvl 60 and start having fun in arena content

6 Likes

They need to drop this ridiculous gearing system and go back to honor and conquest gear with a cool recolour for glads and not have such a huge ilvl gap in between.

35 Likes

I’ve geared 5 or 6 toons fully with the honor gear system this expansion. I do not enjoy rated pvp. I don’t get enjoyment out of competition in a game, especially when a majority of the que’s passed the lower ranks are just fully geared glads carrying people for money / gold. I definitely sympathize with what you’re saying.

Take this toon for example, I’m in fully upgraded honor gear. Now, this is fun at the start of a season as It is still competitive. But at this point in a season, my fully upgraded honor gear is a joke to 255+ players. There are literally cloth dps with just 10k less health than me, as a bear tank.

I would say cap the ilvl in random non rated BG’s at the maximum honor gear ilvl. It is just not fun to have multi glads running around 1-2 shotting people. As the game is now, every single epic BG is decided in the first 20-30 seconds during the first big clash & if you happen to que into the one team that has 250+ players you win. There is no skill requirements. Only ilvl matter in current pvp.

5 Likes

That’s a start but doesn’t solve anything. High ranking pvpers would still be doing random bgs destroying new pvpers to upgrade their conq gear with honor. Pvp (at least unranked) should be about fun. I-level should play no part in this.

5 Likes

No no , all the players in the top end gear solemnly swear that the reason that regular players shouldn’t be able to get great gear in anyway Other than raiding and rated (made miserable by self-appointed gear checkers) battle grounds and dungeons, is that we don’t need it because it never ever gets brought into the unrated bgs by bullies wanting to farm honor … nope nope it just never happens. :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :crazy_face: :rofl:

12 Likes

I mean i invest time in gearing to oneshot noobs later, sadly . I feel rewarded from my time spent to get good gear , when i can oneshot bad geared players

Geared players have lot of funs oneshotting low geared players

Remember in BFA , PVP scaling ? People were going crazy because they were losing to low ilvl players

2 Likes

So a hunter with barely over 2k HKs, hardly any PvP achieves,
and honor level 38 is going to try and be the spokesperson for fixing reg BGs?

I kind of see the point you are trying to make, but I do not fully agree with you. I agree with this however.

Unranked PvP is not endgame. It is fun BGs where people farm HKs and get battleground achievements. PvP balance is never focused on regular battlegrounds.

Yea. it has always been that way. The two are separated for a reason.

No. it is never that difficult. When I down my Mythics I do it in full mythic gear. When I pug my PvP I do it in PvP gear.

No they are not. They are just frustratingly changed.

That is why Blizzard NEEDS to bring back resilience for PvP gear.

It is 10x faster and easier than it used to be.

And I always keep seeing people using this phrase recently to try and sound more legitimate

You keep using that word. - YouTube

Still cheaper than what it used to be. it cost me3900 marks just to get a single two handed weapon…and I had to get 2 of them for my fury warrior. And every piece of gear also took marks.

System before that required only gold. Now you can get it in half the time or even faster as well as getting it from the great vault.

There needs to be a change. I like the old PvP gearing system better. We need PvP vendors that give us a lot of choices and bring back the old battleground marks.

When I was grinding out my R14 in retail I would do regular bgs often to get my PvP currency.

No you shouldn’t. You should have to work your way up to anything rated. You shoudlnt be able to jump into arenas and rated battlegrounds as soon as you hit level 60 without even working for it.

You have 217 item level. My warrior and pally are at 250 area. Rogue is grinding out 240+ right now as we speak. That takes a lot of work and effort. There is no reason why your 217 toon should be able to be on exact equal footing to players who have worked hard to grind out their 240+ and 250+ gear.

My pally would clear you out in less than a second. You need to grind out your gear. You cant go in and expect to take on full epic geared skilled players who are sitting in full 240+ to 250+ stuff.

Thats why Blizzard needs to bring back arena teams and the old rating system. If that were the case, then these glads would not be able to go out and carry these people back to back like they are able to now.

That would screw me over, so no.

I want to be able to play with you guys. If the players get punished for doing good then there is no reason to play and I would unsub at that point. So in other words, if someone is better geared than you, they cannot play with you? Not fair to the rest of us at all.

And if your next suggestion is that high geared players should have their own separate battlegrounds, then i would just queue in low level stuff and pop on my good gear. And if they put a system in place that could detect that I had good gear that was not equipped and stopped me from playing in a normal BG then I would just unsub. A very small % of the players have the gear that my 2 favourite toons do and I do not want a10 hour queue just because you do not want to play with me.

I dont want to get good gear and then get punished for getting it.

Random BG’s should not be a currency dispenser for overgeared and boosted players who have a desperate need to buy upgrades from currency earned in the easiest content in the game. Do mythic raiders get to farm normal dungeons to get currency to buy gear upgrades? People would laugh at such a notion.

Just pointing out that the ability to farm graveyards was removed in Tol Barad. Now your graveyard is unattackable while the battle is in progress. If players enter your graveyard, you can attack them but they can’t damage you. The technology exists and should be used in all bgs. If your team has so outgeared the other team so they won’t leave the graveyard on rezzing, do the objectives and finish, don’t delay indefinitely in order to destroy their experience and drive them from the game.

The real losers are the people who are trying to destroy the playerbase for cheap thrills.

7 Likes

It only work in the launch of the patch . Everybody start from the same point , so the game is pretty fine but when you try to get into PVP , in 9.1.5 for exemple , it’s just unplayable . It’s not working .

It’s just getting farm by 250 ilvl players , and you get just spawn kill , you can just afk anyway u don’t have any impact on the bg , you just need ur team to carry you .

They need to impliment catchup pvp gears mi-patch , so people can get into the season with decent gear really fast .

Farming Honor Day 1 vs Farming Honor 5 months into the patch is not the same thing

I’m farming Honor gear who only go up to 229 , and you need like 100K Honor for basic 229 ilvl pvp gear .

When i will replace it by conq gear rank 0 , 233 ilvl really fast

Honor gear shouldn’t require so this amount of honors farming, your farming garbo basic gear to start winning some arena games , so you can gain conquest point , and buy the rank 0 conquest

I will spend more time upgrading all my honors gears to max ilvl , than actualy using it because i will move on to conq gear really fast

The system is garbage

4 Likes

Yea and how is that battleground doing right now currently? When was the last time you ever saw someone in there other to farm the Bordin Fox Kit. Theres a reason why that place is called “Lol ba bad” Not a good example of how any battleground should be.

1 Like

All the time. Sorry, you are totally freaking wrong on this. There are regulars on both factions who play these battles. Maybe, I don’t know, play the game?

By the way, the name of that item is “Fox kit”. And it isn’t in the bg zone, only the Peninsula.

It’s a world PvP zone now. And I never heard it called that. It’s a perfect example of how a world PvP zone should be. I level alts in there all the time.

2 Likes

That’s Blizzard’s strat. Top geared players are rewarded with dominating lesser gear players. With the hope the lesser geared players will focus on gearing up so they can take their turn dominating.

System doesn’t work so well if not enough new players replace the ones that leave though.

The way to win playing WoW pvp is not to play.

6 Likes

Armory doesn’t show pvp scaling. This toon is 234 ilvl. The amount of player base who push rated content is very small. Like in the single digit %. If they want to cater to you and kill their game, that’s on them. The majority of the casual player base would agree with OP.

14 Likes

Artäois - Character (worldofwarcraft.com)

Not 234. You are 217 like I said.

No. it shows that you have 0 2v2s completed 0 3v3s completed 0 rbs completed and are 217 item level. Like why you got to change the game for the rest of us just because you dont like it? I like the expac. I think PvP is fine. I am doing well. I have had zero problems surviving in PvP. I am having fun. I really enjoy this expac when it comes to PvP.

And I dont see why you have agi enchants when you like to run in boomkin.

I agree 100% unrated pvp should not require rated gear to pick up/play and be relevant.

We need another mode that syncs everyone’s gear to the same ilevel and doesn’t have level brackets.

Call it Synced Battlegrounds or something.

This way it has the entire pool of players to draw from, gives players a chance to test out powers before they level a class and it evens out the playing field to just chill and enjoy randoms.

Give it a large experience gain / a bit of conquest and honor for the first time done per day and it will get full participation.

1 Like

216 ilvl pvp gear scales to 233 kekw. You’re an extreme minority in being happy with pvp this expansion.

1 Like

I kinda like the elite set being unlocked at 1800 lol.

Have 2 different que options. 1 with a cap on gear or scaled competition. The other anything goes free for all.

There aren’t any Shadowlands boot enchants that don’t give agility other than the one that reduces your fall damage by ten percent, so any caster who spends a significant amount of time playing an offspec whose primary stat is agility is probably going to pass on the reduced fall damage.