First gaming pc build suggestions

What’s up guys… so I’m building my first computer. I’ve done a fair bit of research on my own but I just thought I’d throw this out and see what other people think. With a $3000 give or take budget. What do you guys suggest for a build?? Price will include a monitor. I was thinking a 3080 would be the obvious choice for a gpu and I was thinking 1440p for resolution. Just looking for your thoughts before I spend a ton of money. Thank you!

Ibuypower has premades with i9 cpu’s and 3080 gpu’s for $2000. I would look at those to get an idea…and upgrade parts to spend the whole $3000 if you want…a good 1440p monitor with g-sync is between $400 and $500. I was looking at one of their pc’s with a 2070 super and a 28 inch 1440p monitor…the total was like $1850. Building my own kind of scares me…lol

1 Like

$3000 is a lot of money (if we’re talking USD anyway).

What do yo use your PC for besides WoW?

If you ONLY use your PC for WoW…what do you think is really necessary in SL???

depends on the resolution you want and how much frames, but lets say 1440p 60hz. A r5 3600x or a i5 10600k (better option if only gaming) and 5700xt/2070 super would be perfect. Can always wait for a 3070, which would be the smartest option but who knows when you might be able to get one.

1 Like

So yeah $3000usd is what I am willing to invest in total. Future proofing is the goal. SL will be my primary game, however I do play or intend to play a handful of the other big titles already out. I know tomb raider is one of them. I also play COD and battlefield… I basically want to be able to get the most out of any game I might decide to play. At the very least I want to be able to upgrade at any point to the new hardware that comes out. Just looking for complete lists of what all you guys would put into your own build.

TBH future proofing is a bad idea right now. (Well, it’s never a “good” idea, but sometimes is a “sensible gamble”)

Both CPU manufacturers current offerings are mostly at the EOL phase - Intel hasn’t had an IPC increase since Skylake and Ryzen is still behind even that.

GPU-wise, you have readily available last-gen 2000 series Nvidia GPUs that cost way too much for what they offer compared to the newest offerings, and AMD GPUs can’t even match those in performance - just price.

What do you presently have and can you wait like 3-4 months?

2 Likes

Lets say 3 months has gone by…what am I looking to buy at that time???..please be specific.

Ryzen 4th generation, more stock on the 3000 series Nvidia (Including 3070, 3060 ti), RDNA2 AMD GPUs

1 Like

if future proofing is the goal then see what hardware will give you the results you want in the games you listed. Otherwise you are buying hardware that you will never benefit from. You may be better off spending $1,500 now and $1,500 down the road to “future-proof”

Sometimes there’s some good gut hunches though.

Historically there have been some good purchases that have lasted quite well - Phenom II, i7-2600, GTX 8800, Radeon 7970, etc.

You gotta read the current environment and take a chance sometimes.

that falls into getting “hardware will give you the results you want”. If you don’t have a plan then how can you build something to meet your expectations?

1 Like

Mmm that’s true, but I would disagree to an extent.

Let’s take i5’s for example - most users up until the last 5 years or so were quite solidly in the camp of “i5 is good enough for gaming now, don’t waste your money on the i7” There wasn’t any planned shift to needing more.

People picked up i5-2500ks, i5-4570s (like me), and i5-7600ks and not much long after, the landscape changed. Four core non-SMT/HT chips just aren’t holding up anymore.

Meanwhile, the guys who picked up i7-2600ks, i5-4790ks, and i7-7700ks are in a much much better place today.

So, I would say it depends, and I am and always have been someone who respects the idea of buying more than you need to plan for tomorrow. To an extent, of course.

Sometimes you end up wasting money, sometimes you are glad you spent more. Like I said, I believe sometimes you can have a sensible gamble.

1 Like

I dont think I will ever be able to build a system that lasted as long as my 2600k + GTX 680. 2012 was a wonderful year to build a PC in.

1 Like

Given recent 8700k comparisons on the 2080ti, and that i’m at the 3 year mark, I think i’ll be steadily in this group for a while.

Realistically if it can still be competitive at 1440p with a 3080 (which is probably around the performance you may expect from mid-range GPUs 2-3 years down the line) then it would be a 6 year CPU.

You answered your own question, you purchase hardware for your expectations.

If you purchased a 2500k (i owned one) and expected it to be a fully capable AAA gaming chip in 2020, then that’s a you problem (as in the buyer not our favorite poster).
4570 would have given you 7 years today, that’s a good run but one owners should have moved on from about two years ago
7600k (also owned this chip) is still solid and capable especially when OC and going on three years. A shorter run but intel was basically making minor performance increases each year.

I suppose we’re just disagreeing with phrasing.

The examples I provided were of gambles that paid off. Which is why I didn’t include them as “expectations” since they’re beyond what you expect them to do.

yeah, I’m not saying go cheap, go all out, or go bang for your buck. All I’m saying is understand what you want and what you are buying because they may not be the same thing.

2 Likes

I don’t know what you’re talking about - I promise I didn’t pay extra for a color printer for the ability to print color and yet I have never once printed color.

I promise.

1 Like

OP while I still think Zen 3 will be good, a build with an RTX 3080 and i7 10700k is probably going to be competitive. If you can find a prebuilt with that configuration that is in stock, that’s a good option.

1 Like