Fire Mage PVE Viability

If you’re gonna be Debbie Downer, at least get your facts straight. Thaddius only gives you a 200% damage increase (10% per player next to you, 20 people on each side). Plus you didn’t even mention that the mage in that video is effectively “stealing” damage from other mages, thus not representing mages accurately.

If you’re gonna break down the post, atleast do it correctly.

Frost is strictly better for leveling, but you do you. If that’s what you enjoy, then go for it.

If something is made of fire or lives in fire how could fire hurt it? It makes perfect sense for the mobs to be fire immune.

I want to contribute to the raid. I don’t like letting people down because i’m the wrong spec. blizzard should remove immunities.

Casting Frostbolt is contributing to the raid. Hell, casting AI and summoning food & water and then being AFK on /follow is contributing to the raid. At this point I think you’re just trolling.

Why would a guild invite me to raid if I was specced fire?

Mages in Classic are pretty much stuck to Frost until AQ, it’s a much more efficient and much less gear-reliant spec than Fire is. Not to mention most of the enemies in the first 3 raids are straight up immune to Fire damage and it’s really not worth the cost to respec between raids and dungeons. Frost is also better for open world/pvp content.

Stick with Frost long enough and you’re rewarded with being able to go Fire and destroy the DPS meters in AQ and Naxx.

Because you’re a mage? Mages do more than just press 1, surprisingly. They also may bring the player, if you’re less of a pedant in game than on the forums. It’s not hard to think of at least a few good reasons if you try.

I wouldn’t try it before passing MC since all boses have high fire resistance

Lol right? Im maining a sham and ill be killing those air eles so fast for my Healing power chant with auto attack and flametongue! sarcasm

“Play how you want”

No one is stopping you from doing less DPS. You are free to.

From 1 - 60, play what you want. Fire has amazing potential in PvE and PvP leveling up.

Fire mages burst down quicker than frost mages (not including aoe). They will top dps charts in dungeons and do just fine solo. Get used to drinking a lot of water. Most guides leave out Pyro because its such a slow cast. Here’s the thing - you play fire because it’s fun.

You get crazy burst and a more entertaining spell sequence. I open with pyro, fireball, and depending on crits up to this point, either wand if less than 25% or cast another fireball. You really shouldn’t use scorch/fireblast/blastwave if you’re going for efficiency BUT we’re playing for fun so you have those in your kit if you feel like changing it up.

Open world pvp is a blast with fire, literally. Get some polyd and its gg. I’ve had several instances of 1v1s, 1v2s, and a 1v3 go in my favor because of the blow up potential fire offers. In the same breath, I could tell you multiple instances an ice block + ice barrier would have wom me a fight that I lost.

Frost is steady, mana efficient, but most of all, boring. I’m not saying to not spec frost, I definitely will for raiding MC/BWL. But based on your question, there is plenty of time to level and experience a spec that you enjoy and will make your classic experience a good one.

I think he’s one of those people who get a lot of things confused

Change and no change.
Good design and bad design
But mainly he’s confusing retail and classic

1 Like

going to cost a lot gold to respec to any of trees