Fire mage in wotlk

By later you mean with Uld gear, specially the buffed Uld gear we’re getting.

It is. Our mage spamming frostfirebolt (and other mage things) and consistently in top5 dps. He does like 1k more dps than our two arcanes.

today on patches he did 6k dps

Pretty good parse for fire, like upper 90s (97-99)

Feel like your arcane mages are slacking though, they should still be beating the fire mage at equal skill level.

1 Like

eh, we’re fairly casual guild, no prepots. If boss dies and people are alive we’re happy

That works, generally get those people who could make it in a hardcore guild but prefer casual

This. Especially with T8 bonus and not needing 8+ items with hit to reach hit cap.

That said, Fire is still suffering from the Ignite Munching bug, which if not fixed will make a lot of us hesitant to switch.

1 Like

Fire and Arcane are both viable from start to end. Where they sit on rankings depends on player skill, and gearing, so they’ll move throughout the expansion.

The only non viable specs are Frost (mage), Sub, BM, and Blood as dps.

6k DPS is a ~90 parse for arcane and ~95 parse for fire … your arcane mages are slacking

we’ll see if that holds up lol, currently 3 of those are doing better then other “viable” specs

once mages get 4 set bonus from t8 they will be the main spec for the rest of the expasnion.

I’m stating that as a general statement.

Of course I also stated player skill. Just because you’re playing a viable spec does not mean you are a viable player.

All depends on scaling honestly, none of them will ever be top though, but i wouldn’t be surprised if nothing ends up actually non-viable.

Which is why I already stated that they’ll move throughout the expansion. That said, if history means anything, they aren’t going to scale well. Frost and Sub’s toolkits also just aren’t good for pve

Yea, we’ll see how it plays out, everyone thought warriors would suck all of tbc lol.

I do not know a single person who thought that.

2 Likes

were you around for launch? it was all about warriors rerolling.

But then glancing blows were calculated differently, or some random thing that was different than pservers.

Mages will scale better than most because of all stats affecting all dmg (haste w/ living bomb the only exception) and relatively high value from crit. Compared to most classes, mages have among the smallest portion of dmg not getting full stat benefit.

e.g. DKs do not scale well at all because nearly all stats affect less than 50% of their dmg

Arcane didnt scale well in TBC because the haste cap was so low with 1.5s ABs, but AB is fixed at 2.5s in wrath.

Yes. I was there on my first rogue. You said all of tbc. We knew melee would be weaker earlier on, but I don’t know a single person who thought rogues/warriors would be bad late tbc, even on day one.

What would a good race? Human mage?

For pve: Gnome, Space goat, and Troll I would assume. Gnome gets the extra int which turns into I think extra crit. I play melee so idk how it translates, but I know its an increase to a stat. The goats give party wide hit, which is always valuable. Since you’re wanting mage it’d be spell hit specifically. Troll has an attack speed steroid, which helps the burst better.

Human doesn’t really have anything for mages, same for Undead. Belf has arcane torrent which is cool but it’s better for non mana users imo. 2% mana returned once every 2 minutes is meh.

For pvp, human for every man. Arcane torrent is better in pvp as well.

Honestly though, for mage, it doesn’t seem to matter too much. Gnome for personal dps, goat for party benefit, troll for personal dps, or whatever for almost exactly as good dps.