FFXIV treats Lalafel more seriously than WoW treats Gnomes

Lalafel are basically adult children. They look like children and (usually) act like adults and while there is plenty of silly/funny Lalafels there is also some serious content one including an assassination conspiracy. They don’t look dangerous but when one amasses wealth and power then they can become a huge threat.

Meanwhile. Gnomes rarely get any screen times and when they do they’re just jokes.

What gives?

8 Likes

Aside from dreams of not being able to reach the top (or middle) shelf, I thought the main appeal of Gnomes was the fact that they were walking caricatures.

4 Likes

They seriously do not.

15 Likes

-Bends down over you-

Don’t worry little cutie! I take you very seriously /pat

3 Likes

The first part of the issue is that they don’t know what we want because we always plot in secret. And the second part is that they don’t know what we have because we pretend all it was is Gnomergan.

To be real, part of the allure of gnomes is that most people don’t sexualize them. When you’re hot, everyone and their mother thinks it’s fine to flirt with you. As a gnome, almost everyone just leaves you alone or makes jokes about your character that are unrelated to you as a person.

Gnomes were designed as a joke race from the beginning. They’re the short nerdy geek that always got picked on in school, but turned into a race.

4 Likes

Lalafel are a meme race just like gnomes, but the story focus in FF14 is about the races actively working together.

The story focus in WoW is never on the races, outside of perhaps recruiting the allied onces.

You will likely never see a Gnome or a Troll (or a Dwarf, Tauren, etc) in a major story cinematic, since they are always about the main characters (humans or elves) and whatever villain we’re fighting.

BfA was the only time, since it was about the faction war.

Lalafels are a very big part of the story in FF14, on the other hand. They maintain almost all the financial stuff in the cities, especially Uldah.

Our player races in WoW aren’t really a big part of the WoW story, unfortunately.

FF14 doesn’t have factions, so a bigger spotlight is put on the races themselves.

3 Likes

I miss typed. I fixed it.

Gnomes have always been treated as jokes, I can’t recall a time where they weren’t. I know in some WOW discord servers people make comic strips of Gnomes being the protagonist and such.

you should of seen the riot with the lala chair LOL. It was hilarious

6 Likes

Gnomes also get tragic and serious moments too but they’re enjoyable to be around them from how dark WoW’s settings often are. :robot: :tada:

8 Likes

pigtails are the only acceptable hair for female gnomes.

3 Likes

Maybe we’re playing different games.

5 Likes

It’s funny. Especially in the ARR questline Lalafell are some of the most devious and manipulative people. They’re also quite powerful in their respective roles.

Gnomes in WoW have always felt like comic relief. Goblins too, in a good number of scenarios.

I don’t really like Lalafell, they’re too…potato-y, but I feel lore wise they’re portrayed infinitely better.

6 Likes

If a gnome was to drink that amount of alcohol- would they actually die. The mug is like half their body

I was a lala for a small time in FF, then i had to change because i couldnt see myself in the sea of legs during raiding

The cost of being basically a beach ball in a mob of mostly tall anime babes.

2 Likes

Lalafel creep me the heck out because the lady NPC Lalas tend to flirt with my Chonk Monk Broegadyn. It creeps me out because they LOOK like porcelain children.

People say: “But you like Gnomes and Goblins in WoW!”

While yes I do, they just look like short adults, not literal children.

3 Likes

I hear(d) that a lot about Lalas but they really don’t look like kids to me. They just look…alien.

Like they’re not something that should exist.

2 Likes

Lalafel are the most ruthless dangerous beings in FFXIV.

1 Like