FFXIV question

Hello,

If I’m loving WoW from Warcraft 2, and I love hard content like mythic raids, mythic+ and pvp… don’t care about pets, mounts and casuals player make me feel sick.

It’s possible I will like FFXIV?

I’m waiting for SL but still… long way. So I want try some diffrent MMO (before Cyberpunk 2077 will come) and only intresting one is FFXIV (intresting for me). I love good story, and I love doing and reading quests in WoW.

Also I was playing in FFVII, VIII, IX, X, XII and I very like them.

So… I read that FFXIV is very, very casual game for people who have problem with turn on/off computer.

I already installed free trial, and I’m like 14lvl - is fun for now… And is great to don’t see trade channal full of politics. But dunno if is worth to invest more time - people are very… frigile, like “hey! try use this other button!” - and they starting crying and make drama. After WoW… dunno if I can be in community like that. Part of WoW is heraing from others how poo you are, so you get betetr after time.

Sorry for my english, sorry for dumb question, sorry for be here, sorry don’t ask this in sunday. Thank You <3

4 Likes

No.

4 Likes

Give it a try :slight_smile: I’d say give it 50/50 you might enjoy it you might not. Doesn’t hurt to try.

FFXIV has savage raids which but it does not have mythic+ type content. FFXIV has a lot of casual content, such as housing, crafting, golden saucer, tons of mini games, lots of fashion items. A lot of easy type raids.

The amount of time it would take you to level up get through all the storyline and expansions if you never played the game before is like 2 months or so. In FF14 you have to play though each expansion to get to the latest one its not like WoW where you can skip expansions and play the newest one.

Basically if you don’t like single player Final Fantasy games you won’t like 14, and if 30 min cutscenes and story aren’t your thing you won’t like Final Fantasy 14.

6 Likes

Not very likely from what you said. FFXIV is waaaaaaay more casual than WoW, and has significantly less hardcore content than WoW.

2 Likes

That sound like nothing intresting.

7 Likes

There is only 2 types of content for hardcore players, savage raids, and ultimates.

Savage is the main raid for gear, while ultimates are just a really hard challenge for the most part. Not every one who does savage wants to do ultimate.

As a casual player, I really liked FFXIV, and I think it is a better game than WoW. A friend described it as essentially Final Fantasy, but as an MMO. I don’t know if this is true, but it’s pretty close.

It did take a good 35 levels for me to really get it though. Something kept pulling me back, and I think it’s that I really like the FF vibe.

I will note that people are much more supportive than they are combative. Players are much more likely to help you and be much less likely to be a-holes. That doesn’t mean a-holes don’t exist, and that there aren’t people who are more competitive vs cooperative, but relatively speaking FFXIV is more a cooperative, social experience.

An experience I had in one dungeon was as a healer. The tank was having issues. I don’t know if they were connection issues, knowing the character issues or what, but one of the issues was not using the tank ‘stance’, which is what keeps aggro on the mobs. It may have something to do with health too. I honestly don’t know. The tank eventually died. As a healer, I was thinking, “Oh cr@p, here comes the kick”, but no. I ended up tanking that fight, which I survived. The tank had dc’d, and reconnected, and ended up finishing the dungeon. Nobody got bent out of shape. We just worked together to finish the dungeon, which is what I meant by coop experience. Again; not that people don’t get bent out of shape and don’t vote to kick people from groups. It’s just not as extreme.

Another difference is the cosmetic items seem to be generally accepted in FFXIV. A set of fairy armor might get commented on, but nobody really seems to care as far as completing content. If you can do the content, or at least get to the end of the dungeon without being dc’d, everybody seems willing to play along.

Finally, FFXIV has the Novice Network in place, which WoW is going to put in place. The quality of the NN is dependent on the server you join. If you join Midgarsormir tell them Turnips sent you. They may (or may not) know who you’re talking about. The NN on Midgarsormmir is OK. Other servers may or may not be OK.

edit
Turnips Doom - they get last names.

3 Likes

That is true for starting out but until you get to endgame and do savage. At that point people are as toxic if not more toxic than WoW players about raid teams.

For example I play a paladin tank I had like 88% parse on E4S titan I was trialing for a group and was kicked out after a week because my dps was too low despite the fact they made me do OT which had lower dps because of detaching from the boss for mechanics more often than the MT.

4 Likes

Pretty much this. If you enjoy savage and ultimates then you’ll likely be happy enough. If you don’t then like them, then there won’t be much else for you to do aside from casual content and side activities. PvP exists, but it’s kindy of janky and it doesn’t receive much attention.

Everything is relative. There are going to be competitive people at the top end, so I imagine people who are all about getting to the bleeding edge of content are all going to be sketchy, twitchy people, no matter what game they are playing. Which is why I tried to emphasize the ‘relatively speaking’. FFXIV just seems less extreme in that regard. People seem much more about playing the game and less about, e.g. politics in trade chat.

The OP sounds like they may be one of the competitive people. Which is fine, there are plenty of competitive people in FFXIV. I just wasn’t one of them. I did find that something about the vibe kept puling me back in, and I really think it was the FF stuff. I really do like the FF games, so an MMO that is “FF” is an easy sell for me. But again, it took a while for it to really gel. I don’t think the early levels are very coherent. They are fun, and they did grab me, but they are just kind of all over the place.

There is a lot more content in FFXIV though. Many different ways to play your character. Much more content that’s focused on your class. So maybe it just takes a while to really get what’s going on.

I apparently ended up on a good server though, with a decent Novice Network. That is not universal. People who transferred to Midgarsormmir comment on how nice the NN was. I can personally recommend Midgarsormmir and the Novice Network there.

1 Like

it has challenging endgame that plebs cant do, and performance tracking(via 3rd party sites, like wow). those are always worth having in mmo’s

1 Like

Yes you would like it, the fights there are no joke. Being in the wrong spot means death, specially in savage and ultimate fights. However the PVP scene is…very small. Its in 1 zone of the game and will eventually be expanded but 90% of the game is PVE with minimal focus on PVP. Also skills are edited in PVP as to “balance” them like combining skills or outright removing them. There is also no form of M+.

2 Likes

Play FFXIV if you want incredible boss fights and music.

No MMO on the market comes close to FFXIV’s soundtrack.

Here’s an example from the new Nier Raid:

https://youtu.be/jVAgd9dbYIs

5 Likes

So I guess the new Borat movie was good?

2 Likes

I am asking this question on the World of Warcraft forums and not Final Fantasy XIV own forums.

Hey, so I recently had a problem where my car wont start and I found a lot of a shiny black liquid below my engine.
What do you think the problem is General Discussion?

I couldn’t get passed the account creation boss for FF14. No joke their account creation system was far too convoluted and confusing to the point where I gave up.

Here’s what happens when I setup a new account:

1. Create new account with new email.
  2. Attempt to log in to DL trial cient.
  3. Nope, sorry. Wrong account details.
  4. Reset account details.
  5. Nope, sorry. Wrong account details.
  6. Repeat process for 2 additional emails with same results.

It’s literally impossible for me to log in even when I enter the correct details. :woman_shrugging:

It means your car needs some milk

3 Likes

No you probably won’t care one bit if you’re the competitive hardcore type. There’s some hardcore content, but not a lot. It’s mainly targeted at casual players who enjoy storytelling, socializing, fashion, and a greedy cosmetic cash shop.

Their almighty “savage” raids that they brag so much about are about heroic raid difficulty and there’s only 4 bosses per raid. Sometimes they will get a mythic raid boss equivalent but it’s a single boss encounter and it seems to be only twice per expansion, so it’s not worth paying a sub for if this is the kind of content you care about.

Unfortunately, now that Wildstar has failed WoW is pretty much the only MMO that has enough hardcore PvE content for the top raiders, and FFXIV might actually be number 2 now, which is kind of sad.

Probably not then. The PVE end game is really scarce. Even currently, for near- BiS or for some classes, BiS, relic weapons, you farm 2 expansions old content for your weapon. You can farm by doing roulette dailies at end game and the best tomes and get tome gear from there that’s pretty good while filling in pieces from the 24 man raids then you can do normal/savage/ultimate raids but ultimates are only for a weapon and a title. So it’s more bragging rights than actual rewards after you get your weapon and clear.

You also primarily have all your alts on one character which is both nice and bad in the same way since you can’t raid on multiple classes or gear up multiple classes at the same time as easily, however this is countered by you only really having two sources of good gear over all. Savages and Tomes. Normals and 24 man are catch up gear.

It’s VERY casual friendly that you can play it as a side game and log back in only for major patches , play for 3 weeks, and quit until the next even numbered patch and play catch up to what you missed in the odd patch.

Kinda seems like bait here to throw shade at XIV players,but ill bite, not that I disagree since they are often like that, quite a glass house in XIV when it comes to communities , but given you have 1 post, seems skeptical.

honestly, I feel most people get really tired of XIV before they even play for a year and mostly just go hyper casual in it. I play it off and on, used to main it, saw the pattern every xpac since HW , been playing since 2.0 but also played 1.0 for a short bit. Once 3.0 hit, they’ve become very formulaic and old content, outside of roulettes, dies off FAST and you need groups to do a lot of the stuff which is quite a crap shoot if people are actually doing said content. You have to join discords to even have a chance at getting BLU content done since most just plain ignore it.

Old patches are often ignored or useless too, most just do expert roulette with the newest, hardest dungeon and the rest is just for tomes you can get for alts and then 24 man. It’s also REALLY boring to level alts. it’s Deep dungeons and roulettes primarily. at 71 you can farm bozja which is alright.