FFXIV more popular than WoW , but can't see why

My favorite thing back when BfA was first coming out were all the people crying over the GCD changes then saying they were gonna quit and go to FFXIV. Like, yeah, good luck with that.

5 Likes

LOL yea that’s gonna be a culture shock for anyone who hasn’t ever tried FFXIV before.

1 Like

Eventually I’ll go back and finish up the storylines to get ready for the next expansion. My big issue with FFXIV is I don’t really like the PvP system. I didn’t try it for that long, but it didn’t set right with me.

Maybe I should try that again as well.

PvP in FFXIV is really a tacked on after thought. It’s very simplistic but can be a decent diversion if you feel like doing something. PvP in general is not my cup of tea these days and FFXIV, wouldn’t be my first choice even if I wanted to pvp.

2 Likes

All I can say is Catgirls make it better in many ways.

3 Likes

I think if you played at a higher level you might understand the frustrations a bit more (no offense intended, I mean it). I was a former Savage raider and DPSing over 50% of my time because there was just nothing to heal, and that wasn’t the sort of healer gameplay I was looking for. I feel like that sort of playstyle is fine for easier content, but when it permeated even the hardest tiers of raiding it was like, “I should just play a DPS at this point, their rotations are more interesting than the three-button spam I do as a healer and I don’t feel like I’m playing a healer anyway”.

The rez thing actually didn’t bother me, it was just that healing is so overtuned in that game that if you’re good at the game you spend more time DPSing than playing the role you signed up for. Imagine if in Mythic raids you were DPSing as a healer as much as you are in normal dungeons or LFR; it would feel kind of absurd, but that was healing in FFXIV.

Some people prefer it, and you’re right that it’s a hot subject (though lately if their forums are any indication more people are feeling the way I am than the opposite), but it’s also frankly not one with an easy solution and I don’t envy the development team the tricky position that they’re in.

3 Likes

Oh, yeah I forgot. Yeah PvP in ARR is t r a s h.

Like, the game has such a wealth of content, but my god the pvp is hot garbage.

1 Like

I just like the variety I can have on one toon:

8 Likes

FFXIV players really love click-bait that talks about how WoW is dying. It is getting really tiresome, instead of talking about what FFXIV could do to be better, they just try to laugh at WoW instead. Apparently, that makes the FFXIV experience all the better :monkey_face: .

11 Likes

At one point, FFXIV was about to be dead during the 1.0 era, which I partook in. It had to become more like WoW in order to survive though.

3 Likes

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Believe it or not, a few of them listened.
… or went through with their threat, could have misread the context.

I counted something like 20+ sprouts (little icon beside a player’s name indicating a new player) in the main square of Limsa Lominsa just couple days ago on a whim.

This isn’t over the course of the full day either, within the span of about 1-2 minutes. And no obvious “gold selling trial characters” either. On a backwater server no less.

No offense taken (all I have is a level 62 WHM and a level 30 or 31 AST, and the former was only from a few months ago), but I do see where you’re coming from.

If you want to heal exclusively, FFXIV’s current endgame won’t allow you to do that sort of thing. It’s a tricky balancing act for the developers, and changing it up at this point probably won’t go over too well. So yeah, that much time spent DPS’ing as a healer would be a little annoying if you really want to just healing.

Shifting the balance more towards healing and cutting down on the time spent DPS’ing might be more acceptable… but I just don’t see the DPS component being removed entirely at any point.

One crazy possibility, which would be more player driven, is the possibility of getting more groups to look healers doing the job solo for the group rather than pairing them up every time in content.

This video probably explains the situation better than most:

Long story short:

• Everyone likes a good underdog story, the come-from-behind victory.
  • Everyone likes to see the arrogant king fall and get his just desserts.

WoW’s been at the top of the heap for so long… well, it’s no surprise people want to see it fall for no other reason to see it finally fall from its throne. It’s nothing against WoW, but just human nature.

Even WoW has it’s own version of the story:

1 Like

FF is the only MMO where I’ve seen players try to recruit other players on other games forums. It’s very weird and turns me off of trying the game.

9 Likes

I mean. Whatever. I guess I just am not trendy enough to believe WoW is literally in its death spiral. or anywhere close.

Those statements are typically just made by a vocal minority of people that have no clue what they are talking about. And can’t possibly have a clue, because they don’t have access to the information to get that clue.

7 Likes

Still nothing, I spent days searching where to go next, every available quest is trivial and nothing is telling me how or where to go next. I’ve only done one class so far and it takes me nowhere.

3 Likes

Oh I can’t wait for March, why is the Japanese Fan Fest so late in March too?!

My popcorn is cold!

Though, you still will think the same because that’s what you want to think regardless of the facts dancing in front of you.

Ok… I found this funny.

You respond to the person talking about FFXIV players love click-bait that talks about how WoW is dying…

And you literally link a click bait video talking about how WoW is dying. I mean…that video doesn’t even talk about the game itself.

Just…“omg people like seeing the king fall” “omg people love an underdog”.

The video and everything in it is just an extreme version of clickbait.

8 Likes

Telling people why they are wrong… Yeah seems legit, I’m sure whatever game ends up with the likes of you will be so happy. Some of us still enjoy the game, there are aspects that I’d like changed but you don’t see me trolling games I did not enjoy.

Your sense of self-righteousness is amazing. Please do the community a favor and just stop.

7 Likes

The MSQ has a special icon, the one with flames around it.

Find where you are on the list here:

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quests

… and just pick-up where you left off.

It doesn’t go into detail why WoW isn’t doing well, true.

… but it does explain WHY people want to see WoW fall.

It’s time for a new king of the hill. The old king is faltering.
And some worthy challengers (FFXIV and ESO) have FINALLY risen to the challenge.

1 Like

It actually feels like its earned its RPG title in MMORPG. WoW hasn’t been an RPG in a looooong time.

3 Likes

:roll_eyes:

The only people WoW isn’t an RPG to are people that make up their own personal definition, and ensure WoW doesn’t make it.

4 Likes