FF14 is just a fad. Nothing more

From the forums, to discord channels, and trade channel banter; I think by now many of us have been noticing a massive wave of people singing praises of FF14 and how it has overtaken WoW and “defeated” the king of MMO’s.

Here’s the reality of what’s really happening. The only reason this game is being overhyped right now is because many big streamers over on Twitch are discovering that FF14 is an untapped goldmine that can boost their viewer numbers. After seeing what happened to Asmongold’s channel when he started streaming FF14, other streamers are hopping on the bandwagon. This same trend also happened with games like Among Us.

Six months from now I guarantee you that all of these streamers and all of these people hyping up FF14 will have moved on from the game.

20 Likes

Somehow every WoW content creator is playing it and enjoying, but it’s just a fad.

COPIUM

76 Likes

Of course it is, even the streamers who’re playing right now are only there between raid nights on WoW and they haven’t even reached the 3rd expansion on FFXIV yet.

They have no clue what the game is really like yet, they’re playing a single player game right now far as I’m concerned.

But honestly, I hope everyone who left just stays gone.

4 Likes

Yeah yeah, “Copium”, heard it all. I know you think you have something new to say, but trust me, you don’t. There’s no use trying to tell you otherwise. So I’ll just let time do the talking for me. People have only been saying “X game will kill Wow!” For 16 years now… :roll_eyes:

What these streamers really enjoy is the boost in viewership numbers. The questing is incredibly boring. Story is mediocre at best.

3 Likes

Bruh, I went to check Pyromancer for lore stuff, he’s on ff14, that’s how deep it went.

PlatinumWoW is about only one left doing wow stuff. Oh and Payo, little Payo likes pvp and ganking too much to go there.

12 Likes

This is the new trendy word lately. :rofl:

Who started this one anyway? loool

4 Likes

idk I tried FF14 even though I don’t like the graphics and it was clearly a better designed game than wow. I prefer gw2 to be honest but to call it a fad is a bit of a wow-chad move.

11 Likes

There has never been a good alternative. All we had was Aion and rift and other garbage like that. The combination of Systemlands being one of the worst expansions ever and FFXIV being decent is a good combination to dethrone WoW.

11 Likes

It doesn’t really matter if it’s a fad or not. The question you should be asking is not ‘is FFXIV a fad?’ it’s in six months when the WoW streamers get bored of it are they going to come back to WoW or move on to the next fad?

3 Likes

Its a fad making retail look like a joke.

19 Likes

I think you are missing the point though, yes I have seen my fair share of “wowkiller” MMOs too. I dont think ff14 is a wowkiller, its a JRPG, the ‘J’ elements are far too strong for a mainstream western audience to adopt.

The big thing that will kill wow is actiblizz insisting on going mobile/continuing on with quantitative player engagement is better than qualitative (maximise short term at the expense of the longer term).

FF14 is just a here and now fad I agree, articles like the PC Gamer “wow narrative a disaster” and long time die hard players like azmo swapping games and getting called … what Blizzard called him, just show a true hatred of of their fans.

Day by Day the message “they hate how we enjoy the game” is slowly morphing to “they hate their fans”… for me BFA killed the horde, I have not bought any Horde merchandise since, I used to get adrenalin goose bumps everytime an iconic character like Thrall, Garrosh, Saurfang used the iconic warcry “for the horde”. Sylvanas is the first warchief I have just wanted gone as a character, I feel the writers killed not only the denizens of teldrasil at that brainfart of a narrative, but sylvanas as well.

9 Likes

Whatever it ‘is’ I hope it serves as a kick up the bottom that a ‘passing grade’ is not good enough anymore from a company we once had “above and beyond” from.

Also; you are allowed to like and play more than just WoW.
I won’t judge you.

6 Likes

Not just streamers, youtubers too. People making videos about wow content with passion, moving to the other mmorpg, amidst a new patch in WoW.

That’s sad.

This is reality of how marketing and ads work nowadays, streamers and youtubers pull their audience away, this is hundreds of thousands giving ff14 a try, if not over a million.

6 Likes

The amount of things to do in FF14 compared to wow is mindblowing. As wow continues to remove key aspects of the game (player choice, commmunity, archaeology and other professions) its turned this game into a pay-to-win boost fest where no achievements matter. Oh, need AOTC? Buy three wow tokens and grats. Done. Want your mythic 15 mount? Boost it.

This leaves a community where nothing matters. You will get a 2.2 io player with AOTC who pulls less DPS than a tank and destroy your runs. Ff14 is built to stop this WTS from happening. You cant even bring up low dps without getting a ban. There are no garbage oneshot mechanics that completely waste your raids time when the old boomer healer is too stupid to listen to instructions.

Add on player housing, furniture crafting, massive city hubs and all old content playable regardless of your level (and it mattering) and its more than just a fad.

Wow has only subtracted content. Look at the subpar quality of that garrosh cinematic even. It looks like something that was outsourced. This game is a pay-to-win boost fest with no community or things to do outside of endgame content.

I do agree with a guy below me though. I do hope thise that quit this game never return. Nobody deserves to be ripped off like this game rips people off.

35 Likes

LOL Wut? XIV requires you to participate in dungeons and trials and raids to progress through content. The only person who “has no clue what the game is really like” is you.

16 Likes

It was and still is gaining traction well before the streamers started talking about it. Seems like you’re only noticing it because of them.

6 Likes

They both have their merits, tho I prefer WoW.

In WoW I can have fun while leveling up, whereas level grinding in FF14 is like pulling teeth, it’s so dull and tedious.

3 Likes

Nothing prior to the newest content is anything that actually requires people, please don’t think too hard, you can’t handle the strain.

Solo queue dungeons are more brainless than WoW’s. And you can literally do shadowbringers dungeons with AI helpers.

1 Like

FFXIV isn’t killing WoW. WoW is doing a fine job of killing itself. Here are the WoW killers:

• Promising flying in the endgame areas in the first patch and then shifting the relevant endgame into a no-flight zone.
  • 10 years of tunnel vision on raids and timed dungeons at the expense of professions and a leveling journey
  • Artificial timegates and inconveniences for no reason except to add more inconvenience. Conduit energy is a prime example.
  • Screwing with player power through squishes that make level 50 players more powerful than level 60s.
  • Destroying the alt experience by forcing them to grind through every single SL area rather than letting them pick their own experience as promised.
  • The latest debacle where KSM mysteriously went from being account-wide to per-character for no reason, thereby forcing every single alt to grind keys.

In the meantime, here’s what FFXIV offers:

• A genuine journey to max level that takes weeks or even months, as opposed to WoW’s days’ long leveling experience
  • Crafting that is relevant at the start of every raid tier
  • 24-man raids that offer the best gear in the game, while the hard mode 8-man raids award prestige cosmetics and mounts
  • An endgame currency system that is accessible to everyone without any crazy KSM requirements and is acquirable through diverse means
  • Flying in any given zone just as soon as all its main story quests are cleared
  • All classes and professions are available on a single character, so there is no need to maintain an alt
  • Player housing
  • The Golden Saucer, FFXIV’s equivalent of the Darkmoon Faire, is available 24/7 as opposed to one week a month
  • A balanced mix of GCD and off-GCD skills that keep rotations from feeling slow. I find it ironic when players criticize FFXIV for the GCD when WoW’s GCD feels even worse for players who have not yet acquired the tons of haste that M+ key pushers and Mythic raiders enjoy.

So you can sit here, deny reality, and continue to believe that WoW is just fine, but the recent surge in FFXIV right after the 9.1 content drop indicates to me that WoW players have simply grown tired of waiting for the WoW devs to have their epiphany. FFXIV has all the stuff they’ve been craving. If WoW had that stuff, you can bet that players would remain right here because ditching a character that they’ve poured 10+ years into doesn’t feel good under any circumstances.

39 Likes

I was looking at the number of viewers of it on twitch last night. 90k at the time. Not a bad number. Almost half the number of WoW viewers. But 72k of those were Asmond. Let’s be honest, it’s because he is playing it. That makes headlines, gets attention. So other content creators follow suit in order to ride that wave.

That said, if he doesn’t go back to WoW, it will be more interesting.