Fellow Mages, How Do You Feel About Dalaran’s Fate in TWW?

We don’t have the details yet just the aftermath. That beautiful new central tower they added in Legion is shattered to pieces on the beach and crawling with nerubians who presumably caused it or were otherwise lying in wait to kill the survivors. My guess is that they will have Xal’atath using the knowledge she gained of Dalaran’s weak points while being stuck in that dagger on the hips of shadow priests during Legion to bring down the giant crystal that keeps the city afloat.

I honestly wouldn’t be as mad if this leads to Dalaran going back to its original location in the Eastern Kingdoms and the rebuilding of Lordaeron across the lake as well. But know Blizzard that’s probably not what they will do. After all look at Silvermoon still being a pixelated wreck all these years later.

As I mentioned in the other thread I understand that this is probably an overreaction on my part due to my attachment to Dalaran. Plus as a New Yorker I am not too keen on watching towers come crashing down no matter the circumstances. I get all of that but it doesn’t make it any easier to go through and I am not looking forward to it one bit.

But then how will I drop people into the crater?

1 Like

They can recalibrate it slightly and it could drop them in the lake instead. :joy:

Indifferent mostly Dalaran has always been the City of mages but never really felt like the home of my mage. Ill be happy it crashed if i get portal Dalaran wreckage where it pops you in the sky above where it fell XD

1 Like

I don t like that at all!

And fingers away from my beloved Khadgar Blizzard! :frowning:
Ruin something else!

Dalaran again destroyed is rly boring. Seems like they get out of creative writers/ideas alrdy.

1 Like

I said as much in the other thread, but mainly I’m in a ‘wait and see’ mode while acknowledging that there’s good reason to be cautious.

My main hope is that the Tirisgarde play a central role in the expansion and aren’t forgotten about or completely destroyed outright. I want follow-through.

Grabbing that portal is literally one of the first things I do on a mage when they hit 60 tbh

It’s fine. They have a spare in Crystalsong Forest.

The one in Legion isn’t going anywhere either, that’s not the point. It’s cheap thrills for maximum emotional impact to generate hype for an otherwise lackluster expansion that very few people are genuinely excited about or looking forward to (especially those who aren’t thrilled with the hero tree options that are going to be available to them).

In other words they can’t come up with a compelling story so instead they chose to hit players in the feels with a dramatic tug at the heartstrings. I hate that sort of thing!

1 Like

I agree. Let’s hang out <3

1 Like

All Dalaran has to do is cast Alter Time a second time to restore it to the sky. It’ll buff out.

1 Like

I think they’re using the death of dalaran and khadgar to signal how dangerous this is going to be in TWW, which is sad but ok if they actually pull it off.

Just need to make sure that xalatath is a harbinger to something actually immense and not a dud like the jailer was.

I previously posted a lore idea, which I’ll keep to myself in case they use it, but we’ll see what they do

1 Like

But is that really the best way to achieve it? Dalaran was already destroyed once by Archimonde. If they truly wanted to up the ante there are better ways to do it than nuking a city built with magic that can just as easily be rebuilt by it and already has been once before. How many times are they going to pull the same stunt before it loses all meaning? I know they keep saying they decided to do this in order to raise the stakes but as far as I am concerned they only succeeded in pissing me off by coming for my city.

P.S. Maybe I am just jaded but it’s really hard not to think that at least some part of the motivation for this were bruised egos over Dalaran being hands down everyone’s favorite city and the utter failure of the devs that came after to create any other expansion hub that could rival it. Aside from Boralis everything in recent years has been a complete flop with Oribos as the crowning achievement of failure. Dazar’alor, Valdrakken and now this outdoors Ironforge are all these giant lifeless places with no charm or character. And then before that we didn’t even have any major cities, not in Cata, Mists, or WoD. Dalaran has been it really and now they’ve put it on the chopping block for the worst possible reasons. #ForeverBitter

So the mage class hall is essentially destroyed… gee thats a nice thought. I mean warlocks technically lose access to their class hall as well. They’ll need to rebuild it and come up with a way reach those places again.

Like a bajillion years ago in a different game.

WoW players who didn’t play WC3 probably don’t even know that. And even if they looked it up after coming across the big purple bubble in the middle of the Alterac Mountains (and/or being dropped into the crater where the bubble used to be by a naughty mage), it’s not like they had the visceral experience of it. I actually remember the WC3 cinematic, it was one of the cooler ones in the way it left the actual destruction of the city up to the player’s imagination.

Obviously the location means something to you and I’m totally cool with being wrapped up in the lore. I am too, but I think maybe you’re overblowing how meaningful a WC3 event would be to the average WoW player nowadays.

Again, man, relax and let it play out before getting all bent out of shape.

tbh I’m long tired of Blizzard simply resorting to shock and awe, and just throwing away beloved monuments of Lore or characters to drive home the threat of the new [Bad Thing]. Yeah, let’s end the continuation of years or decades worth of something as fodder to the new big bad that, quite frankly, is a crap shoot at this point on whether it’s something well enough written and has a long standing positive impact to the game’s story.

Low hanging fruit here: But the damage the writers have done with countless retcons before and during SL shouldn’t ever be forgotten or let down; and be used as the reference standard for what NOT to do when it comes to lore.

Edit: I had to add “positive impact” to the games story for brevity; and I hate that things have gone so poorly that I’m so compelled to make it a point. (and it did it without burning down a landmark!)

2 Likes

I’d be a lot more upset about it if it wasn’t Dalaran specifically. This is a city that has relatively quickly recovered from total destruction once before, likely because it’s a city full of literal mages that can warp space and time at will.

Maybe it’ll go back to being a flying city again (but maybe with a proper “foundation” this time instead of a chunk of earth with broken sewer pipes in it) or maybe it’ll go back to Hillsbrad. But honestly, I’d be very surprised if the 11.2 or 11.3 major patches don’t feature a “Dalaran 2.0” done up with new assets instead of retexturing Northrend Dalaran a second time. It’s not nearly as complex as reworking a whole zone or continent, just taking a city that was already a floating island and making it bigger.

That being said, if Dalaran really is permanently gone, I’d be much more upset and disappointed. We’re still waiting for Teldrassil to be revamped, something that will likely not happen for a very long time, if ever. And I’m still a little miffed that the Cataclysm’s damage to the old world has yet to be repaired. It would hurt to continue to lose more of what makes Azeroth feel familiar to so many of us.

My favorite city is Stormshield, for no deep reason, and I don’t have a clue about the lore in the game. I just liked the aesthetic of it, or layout. I like to portal there.

Indeed. I get that they feel the need to keep adding new stuff with every expansion and that’s fine but the old world shouldn’t be neglected. Silvermoon is probably the biggest symbol of that neglect but really the entire Eastern Kingdoms suffer from that, Kalimdor too although to a lesser extend since it was always more sparcely populated. It’s high time they got a revamp.

Maybe they can salvage the mess they are making out of destroying Dalaran again by rebuilding it back at it’s original location on the southern shores of Lordamere Lake and using that as a springboard to bring that entire region back to life. I’ve played WoW since it first launched and to this day one of the most meaningful things I’ve ever done in the game has been to help rebuild Quel’Danas in TBC. It would be amazing to revisit that feeling in helping to rebuild the Eastern Kingdoms.

1 Like

Honestly. Don’t listen to this guy. He’s a forum troll. He just peruses the forums constantly looking for people to disagree with… just for the sake of being “different” or “edgy” … he’s not worth your time or energy. Talking about Firemane… in case that wasn’t blatantly obvious.

IMO it’s perfectly reasonable to not want one of your favorite locations in WoW be destroyed.

3 Likes