Felguard or Felhunter as demo?

Which one should I be using for pve?

The simple answer is, felhunter. It has an ability called shadow bite that scales up with how many of your dots are on a target. This makes something like shadowflame a bigger DPS boost because it does more damage than incinerate, shadowbolt, or soulfire and also provides a dot that’ll boost your pet damage.

The nuance is that felguard is your best bet when you’re bursting things down with AOE. On fights with AOE you’ll use your felguard. In most trash pulls you’ll choose felguard. But pretty well all bosses, felhunter.

At level 85 there will be an ability called Demon Soul. If you have your felhunter out it will increase your shadow damage by a percent. If you have a felguard out it gives you that same benefit… and 15% haste. It’s like getting your own Power Infusion every two minutes. But then you have to deal with insanely lower pet damage.

And so there’s a thing called “Pet Twisting.” And the value of doing this is… highly debatable on a case by case basis. And really, how much you do this and how much value doing this… is also debatable. In the least, pet twisting as an opener is always good. You can do it through a bunch of macros or through a lot of quick keys. You summon your felguard, use soulburn start the fight with your other openers (the list of things to do for min/max stupidly long), use your soul shard regen to get that soul shard back, pop Demon Soul to get your buff and then as soon as felstorm ends summon a felhunter out (using that soulburn that you pre-used).

The real debate is the value of burning soul shard 2 to get felguard back out at the 2 minute mark (for demon soul), then have 1 minute of felguard to summon felhunter at the 3 minute mark to then summon the felguard again at the 4 minute mark (for demon soul). And the reason why it’s still debatable is because private servers have been running for years and have so much data on this. But it seems like Blizzard is dead set on buffing up demo locks and nerfing fire mages… as demo locks are over-performing currently.

3 Likes

wow that is very detailed and super helpful. thank you.

so for my level, while questing my way up, ill just use felhunter for single target and felguard for multi taret it sounds

Fel hunter for ST, Felguard for AoE. Ideally you use both. Though i personally don’t like demon-twisting at all (its partly why I still play affliction in prepatch).

Ah for leveling i’d probably just roll with the felguard. It’s tankier, it can taunt and its amazing AoE damage is great for cleaving a bunch of mobs down

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.