In this thread, we’ll be testing and talking about Mages in The War Within. Look here for posts from the development team as adjustments and bugfixes are made throughout the testing period.

Please note that off-topic or inappropriate posts will be strictly removed.

Thank You

Before we continue testing The War Within, we’d like to take a moment to thank everyone who read and responded to the Hero Talent previews we posted over the last few months.

Looking to the Alpha

In this first Alpha build, every single class has at least one new Hero Talent tree available for testing, with the rest coming in the following weeks. We’re asking testers to initially keep several things in mind:

• There are UI elements on the talent panel that are placeholder, including things like talent icons, text, or final UI art.
  • Some talents may not be functioning yet, or may be marked as not yet implemented (NYI)
  • New spell visuals and audio for several new Hero Talent trees are still a work in progress. Many trees are using placeholder assets for now that will be updated over the course of Alpha.
  • There are some talents that are not fully tuned yet. This is expected, and we will implement tuning adjustments throughout testing.

The combat design team has two big areas of focus right now that we are prioritizing over other concerns such as tuning or generic class updates/maintenance:

• Finish building the remainder of the Hero Talent trees that are not yet available.
  • Fix bugs that are blocking testing of new talents.

With the Alpha build being playable and all of the discussion that will occur around the flood of data, we wanted to reiterate that the responses to our blog previews were highly valuable. The feedback we received allowed us to make some early improvements or revisions while we didn’t yet have a public test environment. It allowed us to take some big early swings on certain trees, and then react to early feedback quickly.

Going forward, we aren’t planning to publish any additional Hero Talent previews in blog form, since we’ll add the remaining classes to the Alpha as soon as they reach their ready-to-test state.

Working from Feedback

Several Hero Talent trees have received changes after reading feedback to the blog posts. Some of these were tuning changes to ensure that the Hero Talent tree felt competitive, while others were significant design changes. The feedback thus far has been of great benefit to us.

Going into Alpha, we feel good about the shape of the Hero Talent tree designs. Keeping a consistent number of utility and defensives nodes across all trees, having parity between number of choice nodes, and the overall structure of the trees are things we’re confident in.

We’re also working on tweaking some core class designs as well. In some cases, it was necessary to make adjustments to the class or specialization talent trees before significant work was done on a Hero Talent tree. In other cases, we did work seeking to improve base class talent tree designs.

Alpha Feedback

Now that we’re in Alpha, we’re looking for feedback on how it feels to playtest these trees. We’re specifically curious about:

• Hero Talents that you feel are “required” for your spec in a type of content, such as raiding or Mythic+, or that push you towards picking a specific tree.
  • Hero Talents that create frustrating or unsatisfying gameplay or rotations for your spec.
  • Hero Talents whose functionality is confusing, unclear, or difficult to track during gameplay.

Throughput comparisons of Hero Talent trees are helpful, but we’re more interested in gameplay, feel, and choice feedback at this stage. Also, when possible, we appreciate it when you focus posts or articles on a single spec and Hero Talent tree, rather than combining feedback about multiple issues.

Again, Thank You

We greatly appreciate all your feedback on Hero Talent trees and are very excited for you to see everything else we’re working on. Thank you!

The World of Warcraft Combat Design Team

2 Likes

Hello mages!

We have some updates coming to the Alpha in the next few weeks and want to give you an early look at a significant talent shakeup.

These changes will be almost exclusively specialization tree changes, but the goals are similar across them all. In general, we’re happy with the core gameplay of each mage specialization. These changes aim to elevate existing gameplay, provide choice, and ease frustration.

Goals

• Allow you to acquire each specialization’s core gameplay with less talent point investment.
  • Simplify rotational complexity.
  • Provide tools to help you adapt your damage profile to better match a given encounter.
  • Provide competitive choice nodes that let you opt-out of complex gameplay.

Mage Class Tree

So far there is one change in the Mage class tree:

• Temporal Warp is being removed.

Temporal Warp has some experiential issues we aren’t happy with, like mages not being able to use it in raid fights where Time Warp is not used at the start of the fight. We’re also unhappy with the significant APM requirements it creates, and how failing those might snowball into substantially reduced damage over the course of a fight.

Mage damage overall will be tuned taking Temporal Warp’s removal into account as these changes roll in.

Arcane

The Arcane spec tree will be receiving updates aimed at providing more options for players who enjoy the fantasy of Arcane and want to play it without some of the demanding elements of its current playstyle.

Arcane has a lot of inherent complexity with mana management, and that complexity is not well represented in the spec tree. Talents that might seem simple to manage on other specs become a headache to juggle alongside Arcane’s burns and mana management. This, paired with the new elements being added by Hero Talents, make it seem like the right time to address these issues.

We’re still working on the changes, but we can share this: Radiant Spark will be redesigned to be much simpler. It will also have a competitive choice node for people who do not like the scripted style of gameplay it incentivizes. We’re also looking at increasing the power of Arcane’s procs and giving them more exciting procs, such that responding to them as they come up is almost always the best move, even in your burns.

Fire

Fire will likely be the first to test new changes. These changes are targeted at giving Fire more talent options, particularly in AOE. We want you to be able to assess the encounter and adjust your talents accordingly, and that means being able to alter how good Ignite/Flamestrike/Phoenix Flames are at different target counts. We’re also taking a look at Fire’s suite of maintenance buffs and culling a select few of them.

Frost

With the exception of a few talents, which we’re looking to address, we’re feeling good about Frost’s gameplay and tree. Our first batch of changes for Frost will be small in scope, and targeted at adding a new build that should reminiscent of the Deathborne playstyle from Shadowlands, while also freeing up some talent points.

Thank you for your continued feedback, and we’re excited to hear more from you in the weeks to come.

26 Likes

I’ve had some time to sit down and play the three specs. I realize that they are all three going to be going through some talent changes coming up, so this will be posted knowing of future changes coming. The main one I know best is fire, so I’ll lead off with that.

Sunfury

I cannot stress enough how absolutely amazing this hero tree is. Its theme and execution is incredible. It feels incredible to press combustion and get the phoenix. The cool factor is off the charts.

• Spellfire Spheres - I’m hoping the animation for these is a work in progress as they look a little janky now especially when going to 4 or 5.
  • Orb generation out of combat feels a little slow at 50 seconds per orb. this is 2.5 minutes to generate 3 out of combat between pulls. On some raid encounters this might be a little irritating waiting. Something like one every 20 seconds would be a lot more palatable.
  • The spell damage for each orb feels a little bad to be honest. A little juice in between cooldowns isn’t bad, but losing that when going in to cooldowns feels a little counterintuitive. I would rather you GET this spellpower increase for the duration of the phoenix as it uses the orbs in your cooldowns.
  • Arcane Phoenix spell selection. With very low sample size it appears the phoenix has an equal chance of using greater pyro, meteor, and arcane surge. This might be a frustrating source of RNG, but I’m kind of ok with the chaos.
  • Burden of power is really invisible to me. It feels very passive and forgettable. Lining it up with sun king’s blessing is probably not something you can reliably do on purpose.
  • Gravity lapse. This spell is thematically SO cool. I would like it if the animation raised the target off the ground more noticeably however. As it is the enemies are only lifted off the ground what seems like an inch.
  • The other part is it will undoubtedly feel kind of bad to lose blast wave and have no way to talent back in to it if you play sunfury. I would like an option to play sunfury that does not have me replacing blast wave while also not polluting my pool of exceptional spells for pve purposes
  • Glorious Incandescence is an absolutely amazing spell. Timing the mini meteor with fireblast and combustion is satisfying visually and gameplay wise. I would like to see the fireblast charges be more reactive to the animation however. I see the meteors land and I don’t get the fireblast refund immediately with the impact.
  • Sunfury execution feels kind of weak from the outside looking in. This one is hard to comment on without seeing the upcoming fire changes, but at first glance I don’t feel 5% more health for scorch execute really feels epic. I would want some effect tacked on for the 30% baseline instead.
  • Rondurmancy. Unfortunately with the extremely heavy cooldown reduction with fire this is an entirely dead and unusable node. If the upcoming fire changes include HEAVY removal of cooldown reduction this will be different, but generating 5 orbs is oppressively difficult without extremely fortunate crit strings. Even getting THREE orbs ready for combustion with both sun kings and unleashed inferno is inconsistent. In combat orb generation for fire mage feels sluggish, and I would like to see this solved honestly with a reduction to cooldown reduction with the spec. More on this later.
  • Memory of Al’ar. This feels incredible. I would like the animation of hyperthermia to be made more visible. On retail I use loud bangs to indicate hyperthermia when I play unleashed inferno. Going to alpha without my weak auras has made it entirely impossible to use the talent because its SO hard to see. I would add this to the buffs at your feet in the default UI. The actual hero talent though feels GREAT. I love it.
  • This hero tree honestly feels like it was made for unleashed inferno. It pairs and flows with it so well that it’s hard to not choose unleashed inferno with it.
  • Sunkings blessing works with sunfury, but you have annoying collisions between wanting to hard cast pyroblast and having the post phoenix hyperthermia.
  • Greater Pyroblast is not whitelisted for combustion auto crit from the phoenix.
  • Currently running out of mana. I’m assuming this will be fixed haha.
  • Currently the phoenix randomly targets spells. I would like this if if simply copied my target.

Frostfire

The theme of this hero tree is also really strong. It’s not quite as cool as sunfury to me, but that’s more because sunfury is unbeatably amazing. Here’s some feedback on it.

• Frostfire mastery flows really well on fire entirely because the meteor interaction with excess frost. I do like that this is forcing us to take meteor as I’m a big fan of meteor honestly.
  • Frostfire bolt animation is more like FROSTfire. The frost is very evident but the fire is too muted imo. I would like to see more red present in this to balance it out more. The casting animation on your hands is cool though.
  • The choice node for cooldown reduction feels really imbalanced for the fire side of things. I don’t feel like this node is impactful.
  • Isothermic core CARRIES the visuals of this hero tree. The combo is incredible and satisfying.
  • The excess frost and fire mechanics in this tree are really solid. You feel rewarded for going up to 8 stacks with a small payoff. Very satisfying.
  • Activating combust giving Flash Freezeburn is really really solid. I love being able to time this proc to extend the buffs.
  • This spec flows incredibly well with sun kings blessing. It pairs extremely well with the feel of it.

General Fire Mage Feedback and Hopes

• We have to lead off with this ladies and gentlemen. I would like to see fire return to being a burst spec or at least given the option to burst. The uptime on combustion has made it feel like a damage stance rather than a cooldown when I can achieve 60-62% uptime with the tier 30 set.
  • Frostfire works really well with sun king’s blessing. Sunfury work really well with Unleashed inferno. I really hope the dominance of sun king’s blessing doesn’t continue in to its 6th consecutive tier force choosing one of the hero trees :frowning:
  • Unleashed inferno IS the answer to the the most important points above. This talent struggled to see the light of day because sun king’s blessing was TOO strong. I played more unleashed inferno than anyone, and I even admit that its handicapping my performance…that feels bad. I would like to see the cooldown reduction heavily nerfed or removed from unleashed inferno and the damage boost buffed to compensate. Combustion is the ultimate iconic burst cooldown, and it hasn’t felt awesome in a very long time because of cooldown reduction and sun king’s blessing watering it down. For reference, UI was about 8% behind SKB in damage, and the peak burst of UI was only a paltry 10% higher than SKB. It’s simply undercooked.
  • Cooldown reduction in fire right now is a little out of control. It is actually difficult to always get three orbs for sunfury let alone FIVE without holding combustion for a LONG time. I think sun king’s blessing is a good place to have a one minute combustion with cooldown reduction, but I would like the counterpoint of unleashed inferno to balance it out. An uptime combustion skb spec vs a heavy focused burst no cooldown reduction unleashed inferno. This balance would drive some very fun choice and variety if it were actively balanced and maintained.
  • I would love player castable pve greater pyroblast

I have a LOT more thoughts on fire, but I want to wait until the changes hit to spend time on this. I just wanted to highlight those points as MAJOR focuses for fire this alpha from my point of view no matter what happens with upcoming changes.

TLDR: Sunfury is amazing, frostfire is cool, give fire mage burst options again, balance UI fully to match SKB.

9 Likes

I’ll wait for more arcane changes to come in before commenting on the hero trees, but I wanted to talk arcane soul. After arcane surge runs out with sunfury, you gain arcane soul for people who dont know. The graphics on this spell are absolutely stunning, and I am going to legitimately play more arcane in TWW because of the job the blizzard did with this spell. One of the visually coolest things I’ve seen added to mage in many many years.

7 Likes

Posting this for frost on behalf of Manather

Cauterize being limited to one spec severely limits frost and arcane’s viability in high end m+ as the go to spec (fire being preferred every tier this expansion as this being a main reason).

Frost’s roots are problematic:

• requiring ccable enemies massively complicates frosts aoe rotation requiring significant pre-knowledge of encounters for a gain of up to 20% dps in aoe. This often complicates frost’s balancing in addition to its confusing rotation.
  • the roots often hinder group play: by preventing knockbacks/knockups or rooting enemies in sanguine.

Ideally a necessary talent would be available somewhere that makes roots that hit 3+ enemies apply winters chill for 1s (their minimum duration and the reason we root anyway in aoe) as well as changing the root to a strong slow. This could function similarly to WW’s tiger palm dash choice node.

5 Likes

Hello Mages!

We have a lot of Fire Mage changes hitting the Alpha today, and we want to take some time to go over what changes were made and why. As mentioned in our update post last week, we have a few goals that span all mage specializations. These are:

• Allow you to acquire each specialization’s core gameplay with less talent point investment.
  • Provide new nodes that can help you adapt your damage profile to better match a given encounter’s demands.

Since we’re talking about Fire only, we can get a bit more granular:

Fire’s AOE
The biggest issue we were looking to address with this iteration was giving you more ways to adjust your talents and rotation to better suit different profiles, which goes hand-in-hand with increasing the effectiveness and excitement of Flamestrike, Phoenix Flames, and Living Bomb. We’re excited to see what Fire Mages can cook up with the new talents. Our goal with these changes is to push Ignite-spreading out of the default playstyle in higher forms of content, especially above 3 targets-- but retain and add talent support for it so its still exciting to utilize when it makes sense.

Sun King’s Blessing
Sun King’s Blessing is a powerful and exciting capstone that Fire Mage players have been utilizing heavily for quite a while. We like the Sun King’s Blessing / Unleashed Inferno capstone choice node, but recognize that Unleashed Inferno still has some gaps to close, particularly in AOE.

By increasing the stack requirement of Sun King’s Blessing to 10 and increasing Unleashed Inferno’s effectiveness in AOE, we’re hoping that the two talents can better coexist as a meaningful choice when going into an encounter.

Maintenance Buffs
Fire’s array of maintenance buffs has been a sore spot in Dragonflight, and its something we’re looking to address moving forward-- especially given the addition of the Aberrus tier set as talents in the Fire tree.

Firemind is our first removal, but we’re also being sensitive to the fact that Firemind didn’t require you to play around it very much, so its removal might not be doing much to simplify the landscape of Fire’s maintenance buffs.

We’re also simplifying Improved Scorch’s damage amplification effect to be less punishing when its dropped, but also allowing it to be opt-in complexity. Fire Mages who want increased execute damage without the addition of another maintenance buff should look towards Down in Flames, a new choice node against Improved Scorch.

Feel the Burn is on our radar, but its output is impactful enough that it serves as a great way to express skill for Fire Mages who have mastered its gameplay. New talents along with effects from the Frostfire and Sunfury trees are increasing player’s access to Fire Blast and Phoenix Flames, so keeping Feel the Burn up should be easier than ever before.

That’s all for this update. We’re excited to read all of your feedback on the new Fire talents!

6 Likes

I’m gunna take some time to digest this lol, but I needed to post this. they changed the graphic for sunfury to use the ashes of alar model and the sunfury orbs are gorgeous. Absolute bang up job on the fire mage graphics this is the home run of home runs. WOW.

3 Likes

Love the intent here. New visuals for Sunfury are amazing, too! Unfortunately the bird doesn’t seem to be doing damage right now due to some bug, except with Meteor. It can’t even kill a critter on its own. It will be hard to test Sunfury until this is sorted out.

Overall I like the concepts on these talents but I think it may be a bit overdesigned, especially in the capstone area. There are also a lot of little bugs / issues that will make testing it hard until fixes come.

Fire’s AOE

The biggest issue we were looking to address with this iteration was giving you more ways to adjust your talents and rotation to better suit different profiles, which goes hand-in-hand with increasing the effectiveness and excitement of Flamestrike, Phoenix Flames, and Living Bomb.

The intent here is good but living bomb its damage is abysmally low. Even with 7 talents buffing it, the damage is only 3% of breakdown. Needs massive tuning or else that whole right side is completely dead.

Flamestrike damage talent is a nice alternative to Flame patch, and I’m happy to see it included in UI! Love the idea of no longer needing tanks to stand in the flame patch to deal decent damage.

Sun King’s Blessing

We like the Sun King’s Blessing / Unleashed Inferno capstone choice node, but recognize that Unleashed Inferno still has some gaps to close, particularly in AOE.

The damage gap here is till pretty big. SKB isnt just dominant in AOE, it is also way ahead in Single Target. We are talking >10%. This change won’t address that much.

Maintenance Buffs

Fire’s array of maintenance buffs has been a sore spot in Dragonflight, and its something we’re looking to address moving forward-- especially given the addition of the Aberrus tier set as talents in the Fire tree.

This is a great goal, but even after these changes we are still tracking more things in the War Within than live.

Firemind is our first removal, but we’re also being sensitive to the fact that Firemind didn’t require you to play around it very much, so its removal might not be doing much to simplify the landscape of Fire’s maintenance buffs.

The assumption here is correct. We don’t really track this talent so nothing really changes here. We aren’t really moving much towards the goal of removing maintenance buffs here, but either way its probably a good change since it was a passive buff we didn’t pay attention too.

We’re also simplifying Improved Scorch’s damage amplification effect to be less punishing when its dropped, but also allowing it to be opt-in complexity.

The alternative for scorch seems nice but with so much of our damage coming from other sources with Hero talents, I don’t see it beating a damage taken increase on the target. Improved scorch would probably need some filter on it for that to work out.

Feel the Burn is on our radar, but its output is impactful enough that it serves as a great way to express skill for Fire Mages who have mastered its gameplay. New talents along with effects from the Frostfire and Sunfury trees are increasing player’s access to Fire Blast and Phoenix Flames, so keeping Feel the Burn up should be easier than ever before.

Its so much easier but mainly due to increased value on Phoenix Flames. New Phoenix Reborn or From the Ashes feels kind of required with the frequency of PF needed to make hero talents work. This is probably fine, but it will restrict freedom with talents a little.

Will need some time with these talents to really feel them out but at least the intent seems good! Also, please remove TA and tune the damage around not having it. This capstone being a defensive option (maybe choice node with Cold snap vs Caut?) would make a lot more sense. Right now you are pitting a damage talent against defensives, this is a non choice and playing TA feels bad.

11 Likes

So my initial impression of the tree as I play it is that this is an INCREDIBLY important point. Living bomb must be tuned to be competitive damage. If it is, this tree has a LOT of choice. If living bomb is bad, then this tree is going to be suffocatingly simplified and restrictive to choice.

I’m actually of the opinion that this change will be enough to bridge the gap. It was 8% on st on retail, and increasing 2 stacks for skb might be enough…we’ll have to see in time though. The bigger deal to me here is that Blizzard chose to nerf skb uptime rather than buff unleashed inferno. I think this was the right move. This will inevitably push combust uptime DOWN which means a shift towards burst. I like the direction, and I’ll wait on the numbers.

Yeah I agree. The amount of things to track is still high. I actually think with the new phoenix flames/living bomb interactions it actually went up lol. People who have played this spec for years won’t blink, but it would be a nightmare for new players. The combination of Spontaneous Combustion, Phoenix flames talents, Sunfury, and TA leads to an ABSURD amount of resources lol. You almost don’t have to hard cast anymore.

If they removed TA and compensated with NOTHING at all just straight removed it from the tree and left a blank hole…it would be celebrated. The reason for this is the randomness of this talent is wildly imbalanced between the specs and is not really often satisfying. It feels decent on fire mage, but on arcane it feels awful. Frost is ok…but again it doesn’t feel good its jarring. I would like something more regular and predictable, or I would like the proc to be restricted to resource generation.

3 Likes

Alright I spent a bunch of time on sunfury fire. Here the things i found:

Unleashed Inferno vs SKB

• We were able to do some simming on retail for the 10 stack skb (nerfed from 8), and it appears that this largely balances the two talents pretty solidly. Really strong change here imo!

Fire Mage Burst

• With the emergence of unleashed inferno, the reduction in uptime on combust with skb, sunfury, explosivo, and a huge fevered incantation buff fire is truly becoming burstier. I love this direction. I also think having a living bomb proc like crazy during combust is a fun, satisfying, and unique way to add burst without a boring percent damage increase or something.

Lit Fuse and Living Bomb

• Explosivo is currently broken. While in combust, the lit fuse buff doesn’t show up on your buff bar, and every cast of phoenix flames just auto applies living on your target without any interaction with hot streak. I’m assuming this just isn’t fully implemented yet. I do like the idea of this talent as it could provide a fun burst option and incentivize alternating fireblast and pf in combust.
  • I like the idea of living bomb, but this is going to seriously need tuning. I tried playing around living bomb as hard as humanly possible, and it simply just does no damage at the moment haha. I’m not really sure what niche or target count we want it to be effective at? Do we envision this only in mass aoe? 5 targets? Is this supposed to have some place in single target if we invest hard enough? With three single target or low target talents in a row I’m imagining that there is supposed to be SOME single target focus here.
  • I would like blast zone if living bomb was properly tuned. This talent is going to hinge on tuning.

Flamestrike

• Flamestrike is in a horrible place. With the tree tilting harder towards living bomb, charring embers/phoenix reborn value has skyrocketed, and flamestrike has no interaction with them. In addition, pyroblast/ignite/living bomb are exciting and fast paced, but flamestrike is DREADFULLY slow paced and boring.
  • Mark of the firelord and ashen feather are dangerous talents for balance. Flamestrike and ignite are eternally at war, and empowering ignite more is a very dangerous game. This will need a lot of attention when tuning. Right now it feels like flamestrike is a major loser in the preferred aoe space.
  • Majesty of the phoenix simply feels way way way too weak for a capstone. I think this talent would be nice if it made flamestrike more fast paced/more impactful. The cast time reduction is forgettable, and the flat 20% damage increase is entirely invisible. What about this talent causing the next 2 flamestrikes to apply living bomb to up to 5 targets?
  • Majesty of the phoenix and firefall should swap places. A flamestrike talent is tied closely to phoenix reborn…a talent it doesnt work with. Firefall has strong synergy with the Phoenix reborn talent and would make WAY more sense there.

User Interface and Buff Tracking

• Lit fuse is very difficult to track without weak auras (one)
  • Charring embers is very difficult to track without weak auras (two)
  • Phoenix Reborn is very difficult to track without weak auras (three)
  • Feel the burn is very difficult to track without weak auras (four)
  • Improved Scorch is very difficult to track without weak auras (five)
  • Burden of Power is very difficult to track without weak auras (six)
  • Glorious Incandescence is very difficult to track without weak auras (seven)
  • Spellfire orb progress is very difficult to track without weak auras (eight)
  • That’s eight things I need to track up from four-ish on retail. This would be nine if I was playing SKB. We went the wrong way lol.
  • Not only do we have to track 8 or 9 auras, we also have to have our eyes at our feet, on the nameplate of the target, and searching our buffs bar to play this without weak auras. I unfortunately do not have three eyes lol.
  • Thank you for the hyperthermia graphic! Excellent clear addition.

Sunfury

• The phoenix is randomly attacking anything in range. I would hope the intent here once fully implemented is for it to target my target.
  • Sunfury orbs stack to 3 passively out of combat, but does not go to 5 if you talent in to Rondurmancy. This really cuts value out of the talent on pull.
  • The 50 second recharge rate on orbs out of combat to me is too high. 60 seconds between prog pulls is common, and this would likely interfere with raid. 2.5 minutes is too long to generate the three orbs you will want on every pull. 20 seconds per orb for a total of 60 seconds recharge is the sweet spot in my mind for this.
  • You can cast combust out of combat to generate your 4th and 5th orb…probably something we should prevent or set the orbs to 3 on combat start if that’s the intent.
  • Gravity lapse is really awesome, but I’d like the option to keep blast wave on sunfury if I skip gravity lapse because I want the knock. You can do this, but you pollute the phoenixes exceptional spell pool with crowd control spells.
  • It appears gravity lapse now lifts the targets further off the ground? Either way it looks a LOT better than it did week one, or I am crazy and this is always how its been.
  • I struggle to get to 5 arcane orbs ever with Rondurmancy. Orb generation is just a tad too slow to ever utilize this talent.

Time Anomaly

• I would really like to see another pass at this spell. I really don’t find it satisfying. The randomness of the procs don’t provide me a satisfying type of randomness. The procs are also so short that its stressful constantly reacting to them. I do like variety and randomness, but this spell feels out of place and unfun. Pyromaniac and Hyperthermia are FUN rng…time anomaly is just unfun rng.

General Thoughts

• Controlled destruction seems out of place entirely and incredibly weak.
  • From the ashes feels really really bad in a tree that has incentivized casting phoenix flames so much when its competition makes phoenix flames crit. I would maybe update this talent’s design to interact with new talents and not just mastery.
  • I’m unreasonably excited for pyromaniac. I can’t wait to try it.
  • Deep impact seems to be a little boring to me. It’s hard to take this talent compared to something like living bomb unless its just tuned higher.
  • Spontaneous Combustion is quite fun to play. It kills the downtime in front of combust in a satisfying way.
10 Likes

I had some more time to sit down with Sunfury and Frostfire last night, and I was able to get some more opinions to share.

Phoenix Flames Economy

I really like the effort to give this spell purpose, but I think we went too far. In the base fire mage kit, we accomplished this with the addition of Lit Fuse/Living Bomb. Assuming this is tuned to be more worthwhile long term, this would give phoenix flames an obvious and permanent niche with fire mage.

So what’s the problem?

The problem is we doubled down on giving phoenix flames a purpose through the hero trees. With sunfury, we are using a phoenix flames every 6 hot streaks to call down the mini meteors for exceptionally valuable fireblast cooldown reduction while frostfire uses phoenix flames to consume excess frost for meteor cooldown reduction. The dual purpose of phoenix flames between the base tree and the hero trees leaves us incredibly starved for charges given its longer cooldown.

Is the tree broken now? No it’s not actually. We are able to choose Charring Embers and Phoenix Reborn to give us a very healthy amount of phoenix flames to satisfy both the base tree Lit Fuse and the hero trees Excess Frost/Glorious Incandescence.

So again, what’s the problem?

The problem is we have seven capstones, and the solution to the phoenix flames economy nearly requires you to choose charring embers and phoenix reborn. It it very difficult to spec in to some of the other capstones because you are extremely starved for resources.

Which would I choose to keep between lit fuse and the hero talents? Because hero talents are supposed to be evergreen, I think it is a dangerous precedent to bake phoenix flame’s purpose in to hero talents. If you decide to expand that system in the future by adding more and more hero trees, you will be at a major risk of needing to have some phoenix flame purpose in every tree you make. I think it is a much healthier space to be to tune lit fuse/living bomb to be impactful and keep phoenix flames in this space. I would like it if the current phoenix flames interaction in the hero talents was removed and baked in to something more passive to the spec’s rotation.

TLDR: Phoenix Flames gained too many uses in the rework. i think one of those uses should be removed to promote talent diversity.

The Explosivo Catch 22

I think that this talent is incredibly interesting in that it provides a very unique take on burst, but it has a very serious flaw that leads to tragic collisions in fire gameplay. Explosivo is currently bugged and non functional on alpha (phoenix flames applies it every press in single target, in aoe it simply doesn’t proc), so this is more of a theory crafting space than anything. I want to provide two diverging paths for this feedback: one if explosivo procs a ton and one where it procs less.

• A lot of procs: In this case, explosivo will basically proc every single hot streak you consume. In this world when living bomb is tuned to do an appropriate amount of damage this will feel INCREDIBLE. The problem is that if it procs every hot streak and does significant damage, you will never have the time and space to utilize fire blasts. This is more pronounced in the unleashed inferno/sunfury style when you only have a limited combustion window and your phoenix flames spam drops meteors which reduce the cd on the fire blast charges that…haven’t been used yet.

• The procs are made more rare: In this case, explosivo will proc a lot less to allow room for fire blast to be pressed and the rest of the rotation to breath. The problem here is that by doing this, you will only have maybe one or two opportunities to press it, and this talent will feel like wasted space…a whole talent point for 1 living bomb every minute?

I think that the activation condition on lit fuse for the purposes of explosivo should be changed. I think that during combustion only, pyro blast/flamestrike should consume lit fuse procs when explosivo is talented. This would allow you to properly tune and balance the proc rate of this without causing undue disruption to the game play loop.

This affects unleashes inferno in that you simply cant utilize the cramming of sunfury mini meteors in to combustion and reduces the number of pyroblasts/hot streaks you consume…which leads to less sunfury orbs and less cool down reduction on future combusts

This affects sun kings blessing in that it reduces the number of pyros you can pump out leading to less uptime on combustion.

If Explosivo is tied to phoenix flames, you cannot balance this talent to be worthwhile. It will either be toxic to the rotation or so unimpactful that it will be ignored because it does no damage.

Ignite vs Flamestrike

I think that blizzard did a great job of balancing ignite and flamesrike on retail. The meta fire mages pretty much exclusively use ignite cleave, but flamestrike is in a LOT better place than most people know it is. The vast majority of fire mages should be playing a hybrid build that allows you to flex between ignite and flamestrike at will.

I really fear that the balance blizzard struck here is in serious danger on alpha. the absolute POWER of ignite right now is insane. On single target it is approaching BFA levels of damage balance. With the addition of Ashen feather, Mark of the Firelord, Controlled Destruction, and the ease of access to Master of Flame, it is going to be incredibly difficult to justify flamestrike in my opinion outside of something like mass bursty aoe. Mass bursty aoe is an extremely rare damage profile to encounter in the current game design.

Also in choosing to flamesrtike, you are forgoing cooldown reduction from Kindling. I would like to see flamestrike added to kindling.

Feel the Burn

This talent is in its death throes. It’s impact is incredibly small and its trending more and more towards a passive maintenance buff. I think it provided a very valuable maintenance loop that fire mage desperately needed for many years, but the addition of frostfire mastery and orbs from sunfury has made this talent have no home anymore. I would like it if this talent was changed from blaster master design to infernal cascade.

The intent would be to change it from a meaningless passive 3 stack of mastery that is SO ignorable and small that it feels pointless to a stacking fire damage done buff that is only usable during combustion. This would make the talent almost completely passive with a few tricks to get it up to max stacks quickly while making it feel impactful again. It would shift more damage in to combustion where feel the burn is already mostly focused to while relieving one of the maintenance buffs we have to juggle. It would also continue to shift the profile of fire back to burst which is a direction most every fire mage on the planet loves.

Frostfire Fire Mage (FFFire)

I was finally able to pull my attention off of sunfury (absolute banger tree if I ever lose this phoenix I’m going to be unreasonably upset :rofl:) and I spent a few hours playing frostfire.

• The gameplay loop of Frostfire mastery leading to excess frost and fire is excellent. It interacts with my rotation and gameplay in a very satisfying way. i feel rewarded for hitting 8 stacks of frost and fire, and it really holds my attention long term as a flatter damage profile.
  • Frostfire empowerment proc rate needs to be nerfed slightly. Whenever you get a proc, the gameplay loop becomes: Meteor on cd → phoenix flames → pyroblast → fire blast → pyro blast. This seems innocent enough, but you also have to do this game play loop when meteor lands and when pressing your major cooldown, AND when you get your guaranteed proc from pressing your major CD. Once I got used to the frequency of this happening and started gaming the timers, I could achieve a ludicrously high uptime on maximum stacks of frostfire mastery. I don’t think it needs to be tuned down much at all, but the frequency is just a little TOO high right now. I would like to see more stacks required for excess frost/fire, but also a longer timer on when the buff resets.
  • SKB is in trouble. I have intentionally put this feedback positioned right after the above paragraph because we all thought SKB would pair better with FFFire. It does not. in between all of those frostfire empowerment game loops is the need to hard cast a pyro to activate SKB. This leads to frequent and frustrating collisions in the rotation where I have to choose to either munch frostfire empowerment gameplay loop procs or SKB stacks. I often find myself annoyed when SKB hits 10 stacks because its disrupting the frostfire gameplay loop. If the frostfire loop were tuned back a bit in frequency this would resolve itself.
  • Lit Fuse works better with FFFire because you have a more regular infusion of phoenix flames.
  • Deep impact is actually a very fun talent with FFFire. Someone on altered time pointed out the build where you minimize meteor cooldown and simply spam it as often as possible. This is a very fun gameplay loop leading to a lot of satisfying meteor + comet storm presses. Meteor + Comet Storm is the highlight of the hero tree.

Living Bomb

I think we should look at the square root target scaling if we are going to target cap the spread.

6 Likes

Hello Mages!

We have some Arcane Mage changes hitting the War Within Alpha today, and we want to go over them here. As mentioned a couple of weeks ago, we have goals that span all mage specializations.

These are:

• Provide new nodes that can help you adapt your damage profile to better match a given encounter’s demands.

Today we’re talking about Arcane, so let’s dive into the specifics.

Radiant Spark
Arcane Mage has long had the reputation of being one of the most complicated and skill expressive specializations in World of Warcraft. A large contributing factor to this is the way in which Radiant Spark asks you to optimize your rotation. Radiant Spark’s damage bonus was so substantial and so dramatically punished you for using Arcane Missiles, that you had to go about your big burn in a very scripted fashion. With the introduction of Shifting Power, Arcane Mage gained access to mini-burns that can also utilize Radiant Spark, but to facilitate optimal usage of the spell those also had to be very scripted-- and worse yet-- your mini burn script was different than your big burn script.

All of that to say, we don’t think that the exciting and challenging part of Arcane should be the memorization of a large script. Arcane’s burn gameplay should support and be enhanced by the mechanics and talents you have, not circumvent them. We feel confident that the removal of Radiant Spark in its current fashion is the right path forward to achieve that goal.

The soul of Radiant Spark will live on, however, through a new talent: Magi’s Spark. Magi’s Spark accomplishes a similar goal to Radiant Spark by making Touch of the Magi more of an exciting moment, but it now rewards you for utilizing each of your core rotational Arcane spells.

Opt-In Complexity
We’re interested in preserving Arcane’s legacy as a skill-expressive specialization, but we must also recognize that there is a considerable population of Arcane Mage players who engage with the specialization for its visual identity and fantasy-- less so for the challenging gameplay. As Arcane Mage currently stands, it does not support simpler playstyles and thus, less informed Arcane Mages will produce very middling results.

Similar to other trees across the game, the Arcane Mage tree is getting some choice nodes and supporting talents that are meant to provide meaningful throughput while offsetting some of the specialization’s inherent complexity-- and maybe letting you remove a button or two off of your action bars along the way.

As with Fire Mage, we plan on tuning the more “challenging” talents to be the most competitive choices, but we will be making sure the gap between a complex talent and its simpler alternative is small enough that you don’t feel like you’re making a huge mistake by opting out of the complexity.

Arcane Missiles
Arcane Missile’s damage and excitement was difficult to balance alongside its accessibility. If Arcane Missiles ever became too powerful, it would dominate Arcane’s rotation and become its highest priority in all situations. By restricting access to Arcane Missiles to only be castable when you have Clearcasting, it enables us to increase its damage and expand its range of effects in a more healthy way without compromising the rest of your rotation.

Clearcasting Effects
We’ve observed that there has been some frustration around effects that key into consuming Clearcasting since there can rarely be long streaks where players won’t get a proc. We’re watching the discussion around these effects, and are being sensitive to the frustration these effects might cause. Sunfury and Spellslinger both grant increased access to Clearcasting, which should smooth out the rate at which you receive Clearcasting and quell some of that frustration, but if this still ends up being a large point of frustration, expect us to take action on it.

Complexity
Increasing the approachability of Arcane Mage was a big pillar of this talent tree redesign, and we hope that those of you who have been intimidated by Arcane’s complexity in the past will give the specialization another shot once you have access to these changes.

As we gather feedback and continue to iterate on these changes, keep in mind that our goal moving forward is to move the skill expression of Arcane Mage into lining various buffs and effects up in preparation for your burn. Mastering the new talents and effects, and ensuring you’re managing these in a proper fashion to best utilize them during Touch of the Magi will be the differentiating factor between good and great Arcane Mages. Expect future changes to support this vision.

That’s all for this update. We’re excited to read your feedback on this new iteration of Arcane Mage!

5 Likes

Frost Mage Feedback

In addition to the Arcane changes above, today’s build also had some changes to Frost Mage.

Removal of Some Two-Point Nodes

Overall these changes are great. In general, two-point nodes usually aren’t very exciting and having more points to spend elsewhere makes the tree better. In particular, Frost will be able to more reliably balance its builds between single target and AoE with the extra points. Currently in Dragonflight, it is often difficult to justify changing your raid build even when there is some cleave in an encounter.

These changes could potentially go even further, as selecting Splintering Cold and either Wintertide or Snowstorm is required to path through the tree and those nodes aren’t particularly interesting with two points either.

Deathborne Playstyle

I think these changes are better than what was in the tree before. Glacial Spike is a fun talent, but there are a lot of players who are really looking for a more passive alternative and this gives them an option to play something else. Unfortunately, Deathborne and Death’s Fathom were quite problematic at the end of Shadowlands. In single target situations these talents are mostly fine because they are probably tuned such that ignoring everything else and spamming Frostbolts is not optimal, but there are likely to be issues in AoE situations.

These new talents are very similar to the build in Shadowlands that utilized Deathborne, Cold Front, and Death’s Fathom. In AoE situations with this build, it was optimal to ignore Ice Lance, Blizzard, and Flurry. This left the best rotation during Deathborne to consist of Frostbolt and Frozen Orb only. This is not a very compelling rotation and ideally something should be done to ensure that more spells stay in the rotation. Blizzard in particular potentially falling out of the rotation on AoE is not very intuitive and makes several AoE talents useless. One possible solution would be to adjust the triggering spells for Cold Front and potentially Death’s Chill so that using more spells than just Frostbolt is encouraged and another solution would be to adjust Cold Front procs to do something else that isn’t as strong against a lot of targets.

Additionally, it’s worth mentioning that Cold Front is pretty awkward to play with as it stands. Simply the fact that it launches a Frozen Orb in the direction you are facing is problematic if you aren’t closely monitoring your stacks and it also doesn’t work well with complex terrain. I think the node would be more appealing if the proc were to work more reliably or if it procced something other than Frozen Orb.

Snowstorm

Prior to these announced changes, the three nodes in the Frost tree that really needed attention were Snowstorm, Fractured Frost, and Cold Front. These changes help with Fractured Frost and Cold Front, but Snowstorm is still overshadowed by and has poor synergy with Coldest Snap. Ideally, this node should be replaced with something new.

Lack of Choice

I think it’s worth specifically pointing out that as it stands, Frost Mages don’t have a lot of choice in the tree. When spending the first 20 points, the only real options to consider after spending the obvious 19 points in Dragonflight are Frozen Touch, Ice Caller, and sometimes Deep Shatter. Frostbite and Subzero are situationally good, but they are hardly popular. In situations with a lot of AoE, Ice Caller is the obvious choice and in situations without AoE, Frozen Touch is the obvious choice. Adding even one new talent node to consider with these early points would greatly improve the design of the tree.

Closing Thoughts

Lastly, the Mage specialization trees as a whole do look much better with these changes and I’m happy to see continued iteration on the class.

6 Likes

One small note for fire is that I would probably update the tooltip on controlled destruction. It currently reads:

• Damaging a target with pyroblast increases the damage it receives from ignite by 2%

I called this talent extremely weak before because I didn’t know that was 2% stacking. This is a really cool and interesting addition to ignite that allows strong tuning capability. The recent reduction to 1% per pyro and capping it out much lower that the previous 99% at what appears to be 25% on alpha is also a good change allowing it to ramp up to maximum value in a reasonable amount of time.

Some other points, some reiterated:

• living bomb tuned well is the most important aspect of this tree. The damage profile and build possibilities hinge entirely on living bomb being a featured part of the spec in the next expansion.
  • I tried playing fire mage without Spontaneous Combustion or Phoenix Reborn, and the spec simply does not function; you are constantly at zero or 1 phoenix flame charges. At least one of these two talents is required to make use of living bomb and the hero tree function of phoenix flames. It is good that we have the talent options to fix this already in the tree, but it overly requires you to take these for basic functionality. I had to ignore all phoenix flames uses outside of combustion to make it somewhat viable, but combustion has a 1 minute cooldown while phoenix flames recharge time baseline for all 3 stacks is in excess of the combustion cooldown… I think we need more phoenix flames charges baseline, or the uses for phoenix flames need to be dialed back. Alternatively, the cooldown on phoenix flames should be greatly reduced. When sunfury uses a phoenix flames every 6 hot streaks and the cooldown of phoenix flames is significantly in excess of 6 hot streaks, you basically ignore a lot of the hero tree outside of combust unless you force pick these talents.
  • Charring embers and phoenix reborn are too punishing. If you go dry on phoenix flames and charring embers drops off of your target, it can take 30 seconds to recover from this error because you need 1 charge to get phoenix reborn back via charring embers, and THEN you need a second charge of phoenix flames to use phoenix reborn. Phoenix reborn should simply grant 2 additional charges instead of refunding uses. This is way too punishing of a talent otherwise when its basically a required choice in all builds in all target counts in all content.