Well, it’s not like they can stop once people load into the BG

Yeah honestly, I was expecting the “not enough players, bg will end” thing, but nope.

Wasn’t a very satisfying game for sure. I almost got afked out by inactivity just sitting there by our wall waiting. Actually if memory served I realized I was about to, and took a sight-seeing tour in my attack car just to stay “busy”.

1 Like

Why not? Just extend the two minute counter or end it before it starts. Throw some LFR tech at it, we don’t have that happen in other instances that must start with a certain number.

Or people can start taking their queues.

1 Like

I’m not saying what you’re saying is wrong, I certainly agree with the sentiment.

But what LFR tech exactly? The only reason the raid “pauses” is because mobs stand there all day until pulled. Technically someone could pull and wipe the group, there’s no protection there.

But that sounds nitpicky, you’re on the right track. Do you mean like if 10 people dip out during the “prep” phase extend it a little bit, and keep that going until the group is full(ish)?

1 Like

If people drop out of a raid before it starts, it doesn’t even send you into the INSTANCE. Same with warfronts. You get re-queued and assured you are at the front of the line. Why are BGs not good enough for this tech?

Well that would handle people missing/refusing queue, that could work.

I was referring to people that insta-quit on load in once they realize what BG they got. In LFR you know what wing you are getting as it is not randomized, it says on the dialog box “Victory or Death”, or whatever.

edit: the LFR thing would need a rework since the BG by and large doesn’t care about class role. Tank/heals/dps. But I’m sure there’s something it can do with a little effort on their end.

1 Like

Elsewhere we were discussing someone’s idea of a Leaver’s Queue. Get the scaredy cat buff so many times and you are told you’ll be in the Leaver’s Queue for however long, with no conquest, or whatever.

The problem is solvable but they’d need to teach the game to verify HOW a person quit. If they just logged out, then yeah. If they DCd, maybe not.

I support that 100%.

I wouldn’t worry about DC’s, though. Normal DC’s wouldn’t be often enough to flag anything. If they are DC’ing like mad though and are at risk of the flag, then I’m okay with that. Fix your crap.

1 Like

Ive suggested this a few times because it mimics OW and HoTS way of combating leavers but I doubt blizzard would implement it. Too many alliance leaving so normal brackets would have horde waiting for hours in just a day of that system being in place.

1 Like

Someone in here was asking about the AV teleports becoming toys, so I wanted to chime in and say that there are two new toys in 8.2 which do just that. I have no idea how you will get them, however. I assume from being Exalted.

Can’t post links so just search for Frostwolf/Stormpike Insignia on Wowhead’s ptr site.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I’ve been looking for evidence of this. Edit: search for Frostwolf Insignia and look for the item of 7 that has no number in its name, click that. That is the toy.

I’ve never understood these “calls” for harsher deserter penalties. Logically, they make no sense because the harsher punishments being called for will not have the intended effect (stopping people from leaving losses).

Whether the penalty is 15 minutes or 1 hour, if people no longer want to be in a losing match they will leave regardless. I know I would certainly leave a loss even if deserter was a 1 hour debuff.

With regards to the deserter-factory that is Wintergrasp, increasing the penalty for leaving will just mean higher epic bg queue times for Horde since sooo many Alliance will be “locked out” of queuing up again. The devs are wise to leave the deserter penalty unchanged :thinking:

They know better than most of us that the Alliance bg player-pool is much smaller than the Horde bg player-pool as it is (as evidenced by the huge disparity in queue times between the factions)… so slapping increased deserter penalties on the many Alliance deserters would likely make Horde queue times even worse :roll_eyes:

A much more player-friendly solution/alternative is just filling empty deserter spots with Blizzard AI bots instead of real players. This would spare human players/customers the unpleasant inconvenience of being backfilled into a losing bg, and would almost guarantee a “fresh” match every time. Win-win.

I disagree. The deserter debuff for normal battlegrounds makes sense because realistically 15 minutes = 1 game. For an epic battleground that is expected to be 25m-1hr long, it makes more sense to abandon a losing game because the debuff can be over 4 times over before that one game is even over.

I think a harsher penalty for leaving epic battlegrounds will deter a lot of people. Right now it makes sense to leave because you can be in another game before the potential losing one is over. Surely you see the problem with that, and thus the incentive to leave vs stay? This is especially apparent in Wintergrasp where the penalty is 15 minutes vs a 45 minute game.

e: I might actually make a different thread for this discussion so more people see it and comment.

I wouldn’t say “you’re wrong” but I don’t think you’re right either.

Sure people will leave regardless. But if it’s less, that’s a win. Over time people might learn it’s never really over unless you let it be. Pulling off a win is better than any Deserter penalty. It’s now a win-win.

While that’s a lot of ”if”, I don’t see anything of value being lost by trying it.

I know “boo boo, our time is precious”. Well so is mine, stay outta my crap if you don’t have the grapes.

Like I said, people would still leave even if the debuff were upped to say… 1 hour. Human nature is the path of least resistance.

The bottom line is if people no longer want to be in a loss/with a bad team, you’re not gonna “force” them to stay. In the worst case scenario, players “stuck” with a bad team/stuck in a loss might start actively trying to sabotage their own team to “speed up” the loss (such as feeding kills, not healing, leaving flags unguarded, etc).

Let’s not kid ourselves here guys, let’s not under-estimate the laziness of your average WoW casual or their lack of patience :rofl:

I’m not being negative, I’m just being REALISTIC here.

And right now the path of least resistance is the fact that the debuff is over before the match they are abandoning.

1 Like

Longer deserter really wouldn’t change anything. You can still leave and just play on a different character which I’m sure many would do.

If they tried to make deserter stay on while logged off or made it account wide you will simply see more people afk in the corner of the map while they watch tv.

1 Like

^ Exactly, the “anti-quitter” crowd naively assumes that people would just sit there and “take it” with regards to an increased deserter punishment. But those of us living in the real world know that’s not what would happen. Casuals won’t put up with it, they won’t magically “try harder to win” or “tough it out” - they will just continue to give up as usual once they have that first teamfight loss, that first major setback, etc.

Like I said, human nature being what it is people will just adapt to any harsher deserter punishment (and not in “good” ways).

The devs are wise to leave the deserter penalty unchanged :thinking:

3 Likes

We need a BG addition to the Adventure Journal. It’s ridiculous trying to figure out the nuances by yourself.

3 Likes