That’s not a bad idea, actually :thinking:

1 Like

And see I don’t agree with people’s mindset changing over time to “its only over if you let it be” because the same thing was demonstrated by horde during wod. They made just as many posts about low win rates etc until everyone refilled back to horde.

There is an answer somewhere but none of the easy ones are good.

BGs should incentives and rewards for doing objectives. Capping a flag should net more honor, claiming a node, defending a node etc…

Any other game similar to that you get rewarded for doing said objective, BGs shouldn’t be any different.

If people want to run around and do whatever, that’s fine. But those who actually try to do objectives should get more rewards.

Yeah, few answers are really all that appealing.

Except my own, that’s why I usually only read my own posts.

No but seriously, things do change as player experience and expectations do. I don’t recall deserter being that big an issue before this expansion. Sure, people deserted, but not like this.

Main difference was, Horde only experienced it for one expac and ally has been going through this for two in a row. Usually balance shifts a little each expac between the factions but not this time so most ally are just done with it.

2 Likes

I would hope they’re brainstorming alternative methods of encouraging people to play Ally without re-breaking the racials (which are pretty dang balanced).

They tried it with War Mode incentives, but obviously nobody really cares.

I wasn’t clear enough.

I agree people leaving is a problem.

However, anyone who plays alliance in epic BGs:
Please explain how to keep fellow alliance from being defeatist and taking actions like AFKing out or not AFKing out but basically giving up until the game ends?

Alliance defeatism has gotten WAY worse since Legion. And I can only guess it’s due to rather bad win rates in general in epic BGs. You need to play alliance or merc a lot to understand this - that’s all I meant.

2 Likes

This is absolutely right. You know which way WG is going to go in the first couple of minutes if you’re Alliance. So you can either waste 30-40 minutes of your time being frustrated and coming away with absolutely nothing to show for it, since honor is worthless, or you can leave and in half the time try again. That’s a design flaw. Something needs to be done. The state of balance in bg’s, especially epics, is the worst I’ve ever seen but the deserter issue is not the problem. It is a symptom of the problem.

From my experience:

Isle of Conquest:

1. Horde breaks through the walls. Caps Graveyard. Kills Boss. Wins.
  2. Horde breaks through the walls. Alliance turtles in boss room until small team breaks through wall. Alliance runs to kill boss. Horde kills first. Wins
  3. Horde breaks through the walls. Alliance turtles in boss room until small team breaks through wall. Alliance runs to kill boss. Alliance kills first. Wins

Never in my life have I seen horde take hanger, then ditches it, then uses Glaives or Seige engines to break through the walls. I have never seen a faction “Switch” tactics ON PURPOSE mid game that wins them the game.

What you’re proposing will make something that WILL happen in 30 minutes WILL happen in 40 minutes. NO THANKS.

Alterac Valley:
This is just basically which faction has better PvPers “who are trying”. If my 8 players can defend a tower against 9 players. We win because we require less resources to do the exact same thing you need to.

There isn’t a strategy to it. Just strict fighting to capture or defend.

Once again. Prolonging the inevitable will make these BGs worse.

No. The problem is when Alliance don’t work together, which leads to afk’ers. Since I’ve played this toon, the last week, I’ve lost 10 BGs out of 32. I’ve lost every type of BG (ioc/av/wg but mostly av) The reason we lose is because Alliance play as a team, whether it was going well or not. Get a bunch of defeatists, and it will go as planned.

It is also just general skill level. I’ve had heavy defeatist groups pull off wins that they shouldn’t have been able to do but horde were just not that good. Creates false positives on strats that would never work but did because we vsed a bad team.

Flip side every team I’ve been in that wasn’t defeatist we’re just just outright bad. Again, it is a general skill level thing.

1 Like

I just want to know what these two “seasonal” quests they are adding to AV are. Maybe that’s how you’ll get the insignia toys?

When more than half a team leave a match bliz should wake up and take notice.

2 Likes

Possibly, but if they’re like the ones in Wintergrasp they’ll be to kill players and then defeat the enemy general or win a game, for conquest points.

I’ve been playing more and more Wintergrasp games the past 10 days or so, and it’s starting to grow on me a little. It’s still boring overall, but it’s an easy/laid-back kind of boring where I barely have to do anything. Defense in particular is very relaxing if your team is winning, usually I can semi-AFK at the fortress without even being noticed :slightly_smiling_face:

But the fact remains: there is just too much emphasis on the first teamfight in this bg. The “all or nothing” nature of the first teamfight within the context of Wintergrasp is just bad design imo. The fact that the first teamfight determines the winner like 90% of the time also contributes to so many people leaving/deserting this bg in the aftermath of the first teamfight.

I think this bg could be a lot more interesting if the “rank” mechanic was just scrapped altogether and the workshops were instead made to work like the workshop from Isle of Conquest. In other words, if you capture a workshop you would immediately get access to X amount of vehicles, no extra strings attached or other BS requirements.

If the workshops worked the same way as the IOC workshop, I bet we would see a lot more PvP across the map as both teams send people out to fight over the workshops :thinking: Also, with such a change backfillers would actually be able to contribute to the team instead of the current flawed/backwards design where backfillers zone in with no rank.

Copy/pasting the Seaforium bombs from IOC into Wintergrasp is another idea for making this bg a little more tolerable.

1 Like

There needs to be cannon spawns at WS that periodically hit the wall it is on the same side as (east wall,west wall) and vehicles made to spawn set numbers periodically while on defense instead of constant pulling. The southern WS for defense would become a lot more valuable as capping them would immediately grant lets say 2 demos and 1 siege engine. Have the catas be pulled on demand with a smaller cap. Of course the vehicle damage to walls would need to be upped and the damage vs players lowered.

I know the post is all over the place but some of those ideas are what im basically trying to get at lol.

New Ashran is a big upgrade over the WoD version. Good job, devs.

2 Likes

Mr. dev person,

I been playing Southshore vs Tarren Mill every night since Tuesday, in fact I’ve barely touched the actual 8.2 content :joy: It’s the middle of summer and the weather is nice out, but I’ve barely gone outside :rofl:

mr. dev person, I lose track of time playing this bg I enjoy it so much. I might start playing around 4:30-5:00 PM and before I know it it’s “already” 7:30 PM… oops, forgot to eat dinner. Go out real quick and grab some Chipotle, come back and eat, get right back into it. 8 PM comes and goes, 9 PM comes and goes, then 10 PM, then 10:30… then I look up and notice it’s almost midnight :open_mouth:

When I think about this bg and compare it to the other epics, Alterac Valley is really the only other one that’s similar in terms of fun (in my opinion). Southshore vs Tarren Mill… this is PvP in it’s purest form… no gimmicks, no vehicles, no anything else - just PvP.

This bg should absolutely be added to the epic bg rotation in the future, it’s not even a question. I think it’s great :+1: :+1:

Anyways… time for even more SS vs TM matches :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Would be great without the lag, but 40v40 I don’t think they handle that well. And not a very melee friendly BG.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/ckaleiki/status/1144437752290631682

2 Likes