As I’m doing the A World Awoken meta achievement, I’ve found a very big pain point in specifically the elemental storms portion.

The elemental storm event from the 10.0.x patches is very weird. I remember when it was released, you could see multiple storms up in different zones or even in the same zone. However, it now only spawns once every 3 hours (which is too infrequent for people who don’t have the bandwidth to check it every 3 hours), which makes it a pretty unfriendly thing to reliably farm for achievements.
In addition to that, the storm is always favored to spawn in the Azure Span, as it has 3 spawn locations, in comparison to Waking Shores that has 2, and the other two zones that have 1:

Azure Span
Brackenhide Hallow
The Cobalt Assembly
Imbu

The Waking Shores
ScaleCracker Keep
Obsidian Citadel

Thaldraszus
Tyrhold

Ohn’ahran Plains
Nokhudon Hold

So let’s combine this with needing a specific storm for the stormchaser achievements, where you have to kill 200 mobs in each of the 4 elemental storms in each of the 4 zones. Your chance to get one of any of the non-Azure Span zones is 1/7 (2/7 for the Waking Shores) , but then you also have an additional 1/4 chance per storm you’re missing to get one you actually need. So for me, I have a 3/7 chance (I still need Ohn’ahran Plains and Waking Shores) to get the zone I need, and then I have a 50% chance to get one of the storms I need in the plains, and a 25% chance to get the one I need in the Waking shores. I’m not good at math, but to me that looks like very low odds the less and less storms you need (which is obvious the less you need, but it can still lead to some very frustrating RNG).

Is there any way that logic could be added to the event spawn, where it is guaranteed to cycle through all 4 zones? Could also add one additional spawn per 3 hours, or reduce the spawn timer to 1 or 2 hours. Could also have the Azure Span and Waking Shores just have 1 spawn location like the other zones. Anything to make these spawn more frequently or at least rotate between the zones so we’re not seeing storms spawning in the Azure Span all day, with maybe 1 or 2 spawning in other zones.

Thanks!

15 Likes

Waking Shores has two. Scalecracker Keep and a side area of Dragonbane Keep.

And the numbers have already been put together in previous threads, but to summarize, here’s the same image I posted on the other bringing up this same exact issue:

The problem with the storms is that the RNG seems to be based upon choosing the storm location first, then element second, not even factoring in zones (which is why Azure Span gets most spawns, it has the most possible locations). When it SHOULD pick the Zone first, Element second, and location third when there is more than one location.

13 Likes

I’ve started the farm for this about a week ago, and I work from home so I see most of them (missing 2-3 from sleeping). I’ve legit never seen it spawn in anywhere other than scalecracker keep when it’s in the Waking Shores, but I’ll take you word on it.

Yeah exactly, the Azure Span is always favored to be the zone because of the locations. Some updated logic to have the storms at least rotation through the zones would be awesome.

1 Like

Yeah it’s kind of annoying that all day has been azure span. I have 3 left in ohnahran plains and 1 left in thaldraszus and its been like that for like a week lol

2 Likes

There was a thunderstorm in OP this morning.
There was a snowstorm in Thald yesterday.
But I think every other storm between yesterday and today (far as I’ve tracked via Wowhead) has been in Azure Span.

It’s rough!

5 Likes

There was a thunderstorm in Thald earlier today!

1 Like

We do it for the giant dog!

2 Likes

Rng makes the hamster wheel go round and round. Anything to keep us subscribed during a content drought.

2 Likes

Had to have been at either 4am or 7am my time, cause every other spawn was azure span today :frowning:

1 Like

No way??? It was around 2PM or something D:

yeah I check every 3 hours, haven’t seen one up today that I needed :frowning:

2 Likes

So the time I was unable to make it. I know the 11 AM Eastern was Azure Span, and the 5 PM was Azure span and the 8 PM was Azure Span.

Considering it’s my day off, I’m able to be cheesy and check every spawn that I’m awake for, but go figure the one spawn I’m asleep for was one I needed.

Right there with you. I miss 2 spawns a day to sleep and go figure that’s when the ones I need spawn lol.

Yeah. I was able to get a Thunderstorm in the plains after I got home from work in the super-early AM hours today but normally when there’s only 8 spawns a day and 5+ of them are Azure Span several days a week shows that the spawn RNG might be a bit weighted improperly.

1 Like

All i need is fire in the plains and i’m done. it’s :poop:

4 Likes

honestly might just set my alarm for every 3 hours and brick my sleep tonight just to see if one I need spawns lol

2 Likes

I’m sorry :frowning:

Yeah…they really should add back the 2 storms up at a time

Another thunderstorm in OP? :face_with_spiral_eyes:

ye I got this one, two more!

And another thunderstorm in OP.