Please check out our new Hero Talents preview and let us know what you think in this thread.

1 Like

Copied from where I’ve posted this feedback elsewhere, as a monk main, I’m disappointed.

Conduit of the Celestials, actually seems interesting and engaging, but even then it is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. The last thing monk players want is another channeled ability. Essence Font is constantly maligned by the community because it’s not fun moment-to-moment gameplay, and is either so powerful you feel forced to use it, or so sub-par it’s largely forgotten.

Windwalker already struggles with scaling partially because of the raw amount of channel time in the rotation, preventing things like auto attacking from actually being able to be valuable. This is part of the reason haste is just so terrible for the class.

Many of the nodes are simply “this ability you’re already hitting on CD does more damage” or “this ability you’re struggling to use to consume resources gives you more resources to consume.”

The fantasy lands much better, as it seems you’ll have the spirits around you basically constantly by my reckoning, but it leaves a bitter taste when the things they’re doing range from uninteresting, to actively unhelpful.

I was hoping for a support oriented option, especially because I’ve been hoping for a melee augmentation style gameplay and thought monk would be the place to find it. While the spec has cool flavor, it doesn’t solve any problems of the classes, and even goes on to further add button bloat to a pair of specs that are begging for more keybind space.

7 Likes

I have a question about the Dev Note:

Developer’s Note: Heart of the Jade Serpent’s required [Sheilun’s Gift] stacks to activate for Mistweaver will change to 16 when talented into the Veil of Pride passive.

Currently, Sheilun’s Gift stacks are capped at 10 even when taking Veil of Pride. Is the talent getting a change in The War Within?

3 Likes

I think this means that you’ll have to use Sheilun’s Gift at least twice with Veil of Pride to proc it. Ideally, you aren’t holding onto 10 stacks and you’re pressing SG before it caps out.

1 Like

Personally very pleased with the conduit of the celestials tree. mostly because I love the fantasy of summoning the celestials constantly. The class fantasy is perfect on this tree, im sure the gameplay is good to but im so excited to fight next to Chi-ji and Xuen

6 Likes

That’s likely correct: although the text is ambiguous that it’s a cumulative total, it would have to work that way for the Windwalker version.

I really like the theme of this tree and mechanically I’m not seeing the reason for so much doom. Feels like some monk players have just been beaten down for so long nothing would be good enough.

3 Likes

My initial reaction to the tree is that I feel like both Windwalker and Mistweaver suffer a bit from bloat (more so Windwalker) and adding another ~90-120s cooldown is going to feel awkward in a lot of situations. Other than that I generally like what’s going on.

In some ways it feels like it should be rolled into the invoke for the relevant spec, but with those specs having 1m, 2m, or 3m invoke cooldowns based on spec / talents that gets awkward.

I also feel thematically that the inclusion of the RJW talents on the right feel out of place and not super interesting (I don’t really want to be playing with RJW for either spec).

Inner Compass, although mostly passive, feels awkward just in that it’s hard to plan around getting the most of your bonus to stats since so many of the celestials seem to proc randomly (from middle line)? How does this work with the Capstone spawning all four?

As a mistweaver, I do appreciate that this does focus pretty heavily on melee and playing offensively.

3 Likes

I’ve been waiting to see the Conduit of the Celestials hero talents because the name sounded so cool and the tree did not disappoint in the slightest. Very excited to play with this as a mistweaver monk in high m+ keys. In my opinion this is one of the best trees we’ve seen so far for healers.

1 Like

This tree if it maths out to be the higher of the two for dps will make me unsub.

I play a monk to get that monk martial arts fantasy. I do not play lock or bm hunter because summoning pets is not my class.

If you were going for pokemon master you achieved it… by killing monk in the process.

7 Likes

As a windwalker monk, I agree that I don’t want yet another channeled ability. If it replaced one of our cooldowns or triggered during our Invoke Xuen/Invoke Chi-Ji/Invoke Yu-lon instead, I would be alright with that.

Also as a windwalker, I can appreciate trying to make rushing jade wind more appealing, but I avoid it because cannot justify taking another talent that gives me another button to push.

I am happy the fantasy behind this tree, but I will almost certainly not play it because I’m running out of space on my action bars to put all my abilities and on use weapon/trinket abilities already. This tree will give me another spell, and has a talent that wants me to take another spell I already avoid due to bloat.

5 Likes

Restore Balance triggers RJW automatically so technically you don’t need to talent into RJW. Especially since Flight of the Red Crane also triggers off SCK.

Edit: in fact I would guess the math will still be that you don’t take RJW so the only time RJW triggers is while Xuen is active.

2 Likes

True. It still encourages you to pick up the talent, maybe more so for WW since SCK isn’t as spammable as it for MW.

Although it doesn’t really address the “this feels out of place for what this tree is trying to do”.

My gut was to associate RJW with something like Master of Harmony more than Conduit of the Celestial.

1 Like

Overall I definitely like the feel of the tree, as a mistweaver it also feels nice that Celestial Conduit feels more additive then being the focus of the tree.

Also just laughing that we are getting a return of Chi-Ji the Crack Bird in a way.

1 Like

Overall thoughts:

• Overall a good tree. I like it thematically, and all of the talents seem useful.

MW feedback:

• Works well with both melee and caster playstyles, although this hero tree skews more toward melee playstyles since you’re now expected to press Tiger Palm.
  • Celestial Conduit being a 20yd range feels too short, but might be fine in M+. Raid situations will depend on how spread out the group is, but if we take Amirdrassil as an example, that shouldn’t be too often.
    • The effect does need to be strong enough to be worth the 4s channel; it needs to be strong enough to compensate for the fact that we can’t do any other damage or healing.
  • RJW currently being a 10yd range is pretty bad. That should be addressed in TWW, especially since it’s a core part of the tree. Even upping it to something like 20yds would be good.
  • Please make Life Cocoon count as utility and not healing for Celestial Conduit.

WW feedback:

• Celestial Conduit as a channel feels wonky. Fist of Fury already feels bad, but I guess you can at least do things while channeling Celestial Conduit.
  • Seems like this would force you down a path where your ST and AOE talents are very similar again. You’d want to take Dance of Chi-ji and Rushing Jade Wind to maximize procs on the right side of the tree.
  • The Inner Compass/August Dynasty choice node is really bad. 3% secondary stats on a spec that doesn’t scale well with secondaries or tie yourself down even further to Jadefire Stomp.
  • Heart of the Jade Serpent is also kind of laughable. At least the CDR is predictable here and doesn’t necessarily affect what buttons you have planned out. If anything, I’d rather have this change to add CDR to Xuen (or Chiji/Yu’lon for MW) so Serenity can have a chance to line up with it.

Questions:

• Inner Compass
    • Does Inner Compass have a duration? Or is it like a stance where it shifts when a Celestial aids you and then permanently stays when a new Celestial aids you?
    • How does this interact with Unity Within?
    • If it’s a stance, what stance do we start encounters in?
  • Unity Within
    • The wording isn’t terribly clear here. Does this do another cast of Celestial Conduit, but at 200% healing and damage? Or does it proc the other hero talents, but at 200% effectiveness?
2 Likes

We’d like to note that we’re planning to make updates to Mistweaver Monk in The War Within to remove Essence Font from the talent tree, along with changes throughout the talent tree to accommodate this and ensure that gameplay is not disrupted.

12 Likes

Since day ONE Monk has been about using the power of the August Celestials. If after all this time you still hate it why r u even playing monk?

Summoning celestials and using chi energy etc is the coolest part of monk, not to mention the rich pandaren lore :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Can you remove all summons for WW? oh and reduce ToD to just a execute again without it being most of our dps.

4 Likes

Does this also mean Jadefire Stomp will not apply Essence Font on targets any more?

EDIT: What about MW mastery? Seems to be gutted more than it already is after this.

2 Likes

Just a reminder that this clown doesnt speak for all monk, we love celestials :slight_smile:

7 Likes