[Feedback - Build 45480] Hunter Class Talents + Beast Mastery

So new Changes
Hunters Agility changed to a 1 point Node with a base reduction of a 6% AOE damage reduction.
Now If this was a Raid/Party Wide Talent It would be 2 Thumbs up.

Rejuvenating Wind and Improved Traps switching places
This was a No Brainer change.

Only Other BM interaction Is Arctic Bola 20% of A.P Frost Damage tooltip should read only 20% Snare chance. regardless of Tool Tip changing from 50% then-100% for 2 points.

Once again Nothing to BM Tree in regards to Animal Companion change or the Budget choke from Multi point Nodes.

I purposefully did not Include changes to Other Hunter Spec’s. As they are Irrelevant to BM.

In Regards to several Posts about Hunters Mark.

The Hunters Mark damage Buff in one form or another was once raid wide, add in a Node to make it spread to at least 4 other Targets Via Multi Shot similar to how Wild spirits spread the Wild Mark De-Buff would be an Idea.

2 Likes

Some new stuff planned for the class tree for next week. Nothing mentioned about BM this time around.

Some quick notes on changes coming in a future build:

Class Tree:

• Hunter’s Agility is being changed from a 2-rank node down to 1 rank, and will reduce area of effect damage taken by 6%.
  • Improved Traps and Rejuvenating Winds will have their positions switched.
  • Note on Arctic Bola: The snare value is 20%, and should not be changing per rank, the tooltip showing 50/100% snare per rank is incorrect. This is not intended to be a big snare or something you are relying on to kite enemies around.

It still feels strange to theme what amounts only to extra damage (the 20% isn’t particularly able to make any difference) off something meant to stop completely those it binds up.

Irl, a bola is going to be a very effective snare. You trip. You fall. And you are weighed down and have essentially just one leg until you get yourself free. Why name an inconsequential snare, merely auxiliary to bonus damage, a “Bola”?

1 Like

BM needs some attention, seems to me it’s the old “squeaky wheel” argument at work. Most of the feedback in Alpha/Beta has been from Survival/MM hunters.

Damn shame Water’s schedule shut down his feed back on BM to the Alpha/Beta forums.

Going to have to look at probably Frost Mage, it may be the better option in Dragonflight. There is time for them to address BM issues, but too many times have I seen Blizzard just walk from spec I want to play in next expac

2 Likes

Made a few changes to the Beast Mastery concept I posted in this reply.

• Talent: Feeding Frenzy, row 10, no longer increases the damage bonus of Bestial Wrath based on RNG(critical strikes), but rather, the bonus now increases for each cast of Barbed Shot, same as the increase to the initial damage of Bestial Wrath from this talent.
  • Lowered the point requirement of the talent: Flamewaker’s Cobra Sting, row 7, to 1 point, down from 2. The effect remains the same.
    • The intent is that both Flamewaker’s Cobra Sting, and Cobra Commander should have their effects apply outside of Aspect of the Wild-windows, as well as during them, despite how they’re intended to build on the theme of that major CD.

Same as before, the concept can be opened in the app TalentTreeManager from github, if anyone wants to check it out more. Code to import into TTM

3 Likes

It is beyond frustrating to see beta post about what wild animal can be tamed, instead of how does hunter play or what could be improved in BM tree. Heck I don’t think I have seen a BM talent tree post in two weeks over there.

4 Likes

Indeed. The more I play with the tree, the more frustrating it gets. At level 60 I can barely get back to what we currently have. In fact if I didn’t have a full tier set things would be even worse.

As some one who loved the beast canon build it’s really disappointing. I was noticing how little the beasts spawn, and tried to do some comparisons between builds with and without the Legendary available right now. Because i’m just lvl 60 I can’t get a third point into the 30 percent option and have Killer Cobra active too.

3 Likes

Just because it doesn’t matter to you, doesn’t mean it doesn’t to everyone. Our pets are an important part of the hunter concept. The pet post hasn’t been the only BM related post I and others have made. We are doing our best to make suggestions on a variety of topics relating to the Hunter Class.

It’s a pet, get the proper couple and beyond that all you are doing is RP.

Am cool with your Utility post, however we can bring bloodlust, and anyone can spec engineer for a battle rez. Not sure what they could do.

Tarlo has a solid post on BM. Sure would be nice if Ghorak had access to Beta.

Would like to see some solid questions to Nimox on BM;

Is it intended BM should only be targeting one end cap?

If not, then what are you doing to free up points to allow 2 end caps?

Thrill of the Hunt is 3 point, can it be brought down to 1?

Can a two to four of the 2 point nodes be reduced to 1 point?

Dire Beast side (left side) is hugely expensive. Seven points minimum to go down there, you will take Dire Beast node, and then 6 to reach end cap.

3 Likes

I would be really happy if I was not forced to take Tar Trap just to get Rejuvenating Wind. It would also be great not having to take Scatter/Binding Shot or Improved Traps just to get Agile Movement.

I must say that the Beast Mastery tree looks fine for what I want to do, but fewer 2 and 3 points nodes and more 1 point nodes would probably offer more choices.

1 Like
  • Improved Traps and Rejuvenating Winds will have their positions switched.
3 Likes

Aye, but the throughput portion of pets is in no way unique to pets, and getting net positive or even competitive value from pet talents is guaranteed for only one of three specs. Why then have pet-specific throughput nodes within the shared class tree? Trim that down to what the pets uniquely offer, reduce its barriers to entry, and move the vital QoL/functionality effects among those into higher parts of the tree, both to avoid competing against throughput and to be accessible at earlier levels to those who want them.

When looking over any tree, it’s a good idea to also have the Beta feedback thread for the given class open and to use the Blizzard Post [<–], [–>] buttons to look at the latest change notes to said tree. It can take a while before those changes are reflected on the Wowhead talent calculators.

As Silvershaft noted, you can already now take Rejuvenating Winds without taking Tar Trap.

1 Like

I’m usually on top of that. I obviously missed it. Thank you both for the good news!

2 Likes

would be nice if that talent calculator had the build number :slight_smile:

3 Likes

not to be a debbie downer but dragonflight is looking like one heck of a rollercoaster of nerfs and buffs and redesigns for the next 2-3 years. these talents are not looking good or fun or unique whatsoever.

they advertised the new talent trees as something to look forward to with nice enhancements to abilities. all i see if having to choose between a bunch of abilities we already have as baseline.

no good blizzard. you can do better than this.

1 Like

Hunter specifically or you think all classes?

1 Like

One pain point I see for BM is to get qa’pla eredun war order. For st you need to spend 5 points to get to it while for aoe you only require to spend 3 points. Also aoe pretty much has to abandon the notion of getting bloodshed/a murder of crows.

Bestial wrath being locked behind thrill of the hunt when youre going the single target route seems like an odd choice.

I may have been one of the few players that liked old aspect of the wild especially in season 3/4 of shadowlands when paired with the conduit ferocious appetite. This combo pretty much got rid of BM’s low focus starved periods. Every 30-40 seconds we got to spam to our heart’s content while in a bestial wrath window. It was lovely! NTA would’ve been a way to solve our focus hunger issues with the new aspects but it requiring to actually freeze the target pretty much throws that notion out of the window. Randomly freezing mobs in m+ will make hunters one of the most hated classes to bring along lol. And since bosses cant be frozen its pretty much useless in raids. I would argue changing it to activation to any traps with a 30s cd or change it from freezing to tar trap.

Some other points I want to critic are the talents beast master and improved kill command in the class tree as well as training expert and killer command in the spec tree. For beast master and improved kill command we’re basically at the end of the tree where everything is suppose to be powerful yet we’re spending a point for 3% pet damage and 5% kill command. Meanwhile in the BM spec tree in first tier area its 5% and 10% respectively. This could use some single node treatments.

I love the idea of sharp barbs but the main issue with this is barbed shot’s bleed damage doesn’t rollover like warrior mastery’s bleed or mage mastery ignite. Even shadow priest got the rollover treatment at the beginning of shadowlands with devouring plague damage’s rolling over. I’m not talking about pandemic here. Rollover is a different thing where the last spell’s remaining dot/bleed is carried over to the new application allowing it to steamroll of sorts. Increasing an abilities’ damage by 40% sounds nice on paper but in reality that gain is being constantly overwritten removing a lot of potential damage.

2 Likes

would be for all classes. i feel like we should not have to spend points into baseline abilities. we moved away from that years ago to a more simpler system. these talents should be more in line with diablo 3 rune systems. where you choose talents to enhance your baseline abilities.

so far its looking like a cookie cutter snoozefest again.

3 Likes

Recent changes both on Hunter and elsewhere have really made me notice just how pivotal seemingly subtle changes, like trimming a 3-pointer to 2 or 2-pointer to 1, can be for total build depth and variety.

A lot of the issues I thought would be fundamental to some of Warrior’s builds, for instance, have actually been meaningfully addressed by just shaving down the required points so that we aren’t forced to avoid previous baseline functionality in pursuit of maximal mass-AoE/pure-ST damage.

Here’s hoping BM can both see some of the remaining big-spenders shaved down and a couple new, low-cost nodes created elsewhere in the spec tree as to avoid, as Vish put it, any

4 Likes

I can appreciate that, especially since blizzard is terrible at balancing things.

So am pessimistic anything “good” gets added, and would be elated if they simply reduced 4 two point nodes to 1 point and made TotH a one point node

2 Likes