Favorite MMO That Didn't Make It?

Inb4 someone says WoW/BFA?
I'm still kind of bitter about titan project getting scrapped and Overwatch rising from the ashes of its pvp system. I think that would have been a hella fun MMO even if much more costly to make.

I also really liked LOTRO when it was fresh and new. The maps, music and story telling were all very immersive and fun. It had an armor dye system, super involved crafting, instanced player housing... I can't remember if it started with the outfit system or not but that kicks WoW transmog system really hard in the nards.

Sadly however the character models were a bit plastic looking with rigid animations and now it's gone free to play with loot boxes, game store questline and basically cash shop options for virtually ever aspect of the game.

I wish I could just see cash shops like just fun little treats on the side of a super awesome game, you know, the rainbow sprinkles and cherry on top of my hot fudge sundae, but unfortunately my brain won't let me. I just can't take a game seriously if it has any sort of buy to skip or buy to power up options. Its literally not even a real game to me.
I will second Marvel Heroes. I really loved that game, put a ton of hours into it. I think the push for console absolutely killed them. Once the console stuff started happening they just abandoned the PC player base.
Ultima Online. I mean it made it, but I wish it was still around in the heavy numbers that it was when I was like 8 or 9 when I first started playing it. I remember sitting in my dad's lap and opening everyone's paperdolls and I would talk on vent when he went to pee. FeelsBadMan with a gun
10/15/2018 04:22 PMPosted by Symadai
I'm still kind of bitter about titan project getting scrapped and Overwatch rising from the ashes of its pvp system. I think that would have been a hella fun MMO even if much more costly to make.

The idea sounds really cool, but if the pve events they release are any indication how an mmo would work in that world, I think it would actually be pretty boring.
Asheron's Call and Asheron's Call 2.

It was a sad day for me when AC1 shut down it's servers. It was the game that got me into the MMO genre.
1 Like
Not an mmo but a moba. Infinite crisis

Set as all the dc heroes going all out. I played lol and hated the elitest community with a passion. Infinite crisis was perfect. Good fun diverse selection of heroes with a nice balance to it. They were understaffed to keep up with development compared with other mobas leaving the playerbase wanting more for just way too long.

I hate triple AAA companies for the most part. They ruined the middle man. So now when the middle guy has something great he cant make it fast enough to keep up
Rift

It was doing really well for a while, then it started to crash and burn. It was sort of a wow clone to an extent, but I really enjoyed the gameplay. Questing was bleh though. The game wasn't really built for the long term.

The talent tree customization was basically endless. It was a really nice concept.

Rift also had things in it that I really liked. I had a blast when they put in the "Instant Adventure" feature, which was an interesting method of leveling, or just messing around at max level. I wish that would get put in WoW. Its battlegrounds(called warfronts) were also pretty fun. They even had the whole level scaling thing. Some of those didn't come until later on though. Being able to spawn bosses and such in zones, and create zone 'events' was also super fun.

They had a lot of good ideas, but the game fell apart over time. I don't feel like the graphics aged really well either. The game is still 'alive', but it's a shell of its former glory with the huge amounts of people it used to have.
Nothing will ever compare to taking over Giran Castle in a siege in Lineage ][.
Warhammer online
1 Like
SMT:imagine

Spent A LOT of time (and money) in that game and regret none of it.

My rapid gunner/negotiator farming for my PureSynth... just something about that game I couldn't wait to log in every day and the community was epic.
Hard to tell but maybe Guild Wars 2?
Rift (Rip Trion)
I also thought Tabula Rasa was really cool.
1 Like
I agree with Age of Conan. Visuals in the high traffic areas were great.
AoC had a /piss emote.
Classes were still fantasy and RPG, not mechanical and overly designed to death.

1 Like
Say what you want about DCUO, but it got the superhero travel modes down cold.
It also played up the DC Universe really well and integrated the players into the launch story.

I'll admit that it had a few too many Gorillas, but Grodd was a big repeating antagonist in the comic story lines back in the day...
09/20/2018 07:24 PMPosted by Kagthul
Shadowbane.

Glad they are getting another go with Crowfall.

I got into the beta of Shadowbane, it was complete and total trash. I laughed about all the hype, from people saying it would "Kill EQ!"
I second City of Heroes. That was the first game I ever picked up as a kid - literally right before it went offline.

While it still exists, I also wish the original Guild Wars had survived in the way it once did. The random arenas were very fun, and I enjoyed the idea of only being able to take a certain number of skills into combat.

Another one that still exists but that really crashed (in my opinion) was Aion. I had followed it since it was first announced, played in the Chinese beta, and then devoured the game when it was first launched. But by halfway to max level you realized that they were out of quests and that was the end for me.
I always thought Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards would have been a great game to have updated to a modern MMO.

Shame it never happened.

All of the above for me.

PSO via the dreamcast but that was more about the dreamcast. I tried it on the gamecube but it just wasn’t the same.